How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#181 Post by rcrsn51 »

LeithR1 wrote: but what you say doesn't address the question of why the combination of what I have isn't working. Are there problems with hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet?
I don't know. The package's author would need to answer that question.

LeithR1

#182 Post by LeithR1 »

Great!! many thanks rcrsn51. loaded hplip_print 3.12.10a.pet - reset everything and its working.

Many thanks

rcrsn51

#183 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.

I did a quick test of hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet and it worked for me.

LeithR1

#184 Post by LeithR1 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Glad to help.

I did a quick test of hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet and it worked for me.
Glad o hear it, I'll stick with what I've got for the time being. Again, many thanks for your help.

LeithR

#185 Post by LeithR »

As requested I've moved this conversation into this thread.
Hi there rcrsn51,
Downloaded hplip_scan-3.12.10a.pet this morning - then had to go out in support of my elderly father. Have now had a chance to test it, my printer still prints but the hp icon which was showing on the right in the tool bar which was how I was managing the printer has now moved into Menu>Utility> as HP Device Manager. When I click on it to test the scanner a screen comes up for a split second then disappears before I can either read it or do anything with it. Haven't been able to test the scanner yet.

rcrsn51,
Further to my last - I have further investigated and found Graphics>Xsane Image Scanner. This works and have now been able to scan an image.
I dont think we need pursue this any further, altho it would be nice to have the HP Device Manager icon available in the tool bar so that selecting scan is made easier. Is this possible

You know what they say - if in doubt shoot for the stars!! This would be the icecream on top.

Thanks

rcrsn51

#186 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to hear that you got it working.

You have two competing systems on your computer - the full hplip-slacko package and the basic hplip-print/scan packages. So it's hard to know what's going on.

LeithR1

#187 Post by LeithR1 »

hi there rcrsn51,
Is there a way to remove the hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet package so that only hplip_print and hplip_scan packages are operating on my machine?

rcrsn51

#188 Post by rcrsn51 »

LeithR1 wrote:Is there a way to remove the hplip-slacko-5.3.3.pet package so that only hplip_print and hplip_scan packages are operating on my machine?
You could try removing it through the Puppy Package Manager. But with a package that large, there might be side effects.

It would be safer to start a fresh Puppy setup and just install the hplip_print/scan packages.

LeithR1

#189 Post by LeithR1 »

Thanks rcrsn51, For the time being I'm going to leave well alone. Its working don't fix it.

marshman

Reverse image when doing double-sided printing

#190 Post by marshman »

@rcrsn51

I have a HP Envy D410 printer.

I have used previous versions of the 'hplip packages' under Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 and PolarPup 003, which uses CUPS 1.4.3, and printing worked OK.

Unfortunately the usb stick appears to be corrupted, so I have installed Precise Puppy 5.4.2, which uses CUPS 1.4.8, on a new usb stick. I installed hplip 3.12.10a and printing one page is fine.

However when I want to print two pages, page 1 is OK but page 2 is upside down and in reverse. I have attached the test print.

My printer defaults are job-sheets=none, none media=om_a4-duplex_210.05x293.75mm sides=two-sided-long-edge.

Thanks for the work that you have done to make these packages available and easy to install.

Michael

rcrsn51

#191 Post by rcrsn51 »

What an interesting effect! Usually, when duplexing is wrong, it's because one side is inverted. But in your case, it also appears to be the mirror image.

I have one suggestion. Precise is still using a very old version of Ghostscript, which does the rendering. I would try Slacko instead.

[Edit] I looked at this some more, and I think that I understand the problem.

My HP Deskjet F4280 does NOT do auto-duplexing. But I went into CUPS and turned on the duplexing features as you did, using Long Edge Standard.

In Abiword, I can print a two-page document two ways.
a. With the usual single pass.
b. With two passes - odd pages first, then even pages. In between, I spin the paper horizontally so the top edge is going back into the printer.

Slacko 5.5 has the new Ghostscript. With method (a), I get two sheets of paper, printed correctly. With method (b) I get one sheet, also correct.

But Precise 5.5 still has the old Ghostscript. With method (a), I get the weird mirror image effect on the second page. Method (b) prints correctly.

So I updated Precise to the new Ghostscript. Now both methods print correctly.

So I suspect that your solution with real auto-duplexing is to update Ghostscript in Precise. Please report back.

Arefacti

AlphaOS

#192 Post by Arefacti »

Hello !

what about your proposition for AlphaOS ?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=135

I want to print with a lexmark S305 wifi, and the lexmark_inkjet_legacy-1.0.1.pet was working perfectly.

Cheers

rcrsn51

Re: AlphaOS

#193 Post by rcrsn51 »

Arefacti wrote:what about your proposition for AlphaOS ?
I have replied here.

Arefacti

Re: AlphaOS

#194 Post by Arefacti »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Arefacti wrote:what about your proposition for AlphaOS ?
I have replied here.
thanks rcrsn51

marshman

Duplex Printing

#195 Post by marshman »

@rcrsn51

I apologise for not replying earlier.

First of all, I tried printing using the two-sided-short-edge option and that works fine. (Flip the printed page over on the short edge and the result is what one expects.)

Secondly, I carried out your suggestion of using the Slacko 5.5 Ghostscript package, bearing in mind that I am using Precise 5.4.2.

I started with a fresh copy of Precise (booted with puppy pfix=ram). The version of ghostscript installed is 8.15.4. I downloaded package ghostscript-9.05-s14.pet and it failed to install.

(There is a package ghostscript-8.64-s.pet, but I presumed that version may be earlier than the original - thinking that it was 8.6.4. I get a bit confused sometimes with the different version numbering!!)

I did a bit of investigating, and found in the /tmp directory a file petget_missing_dbentries-Packages-alien. The contents: ghostscript-9.05-s14|ghostscript|9.05-s14|||||ghostscript-9.05-s14.pet|||.

Am I correct in understanding that I cannot install a 'slackware' built .pet package in Precise?

Michael

rcrsn51

#196 Post by rcrsn51 »

My original suggestion was to run an install of Slacko, not try to install Slacko's Ghostscript into Precise. You would just need to boot off the Slacko Live CD, install the HPLIP driver and test your printer.

However, we should be able to get an equivalent test in Precise.

1. Download Ghostscript 9.05 from here.

2. Install the CUPS filter upgrade from the PET below.

3. Do a print test.
Attachments
gstoraster_s533-9.05.pet
(9.93 KiB) Downloaded 742 times

marshman

Duplex Printing - Works OK

#197 Post by marshman »

@rcrsn51
My original suggestion was to run an install of Slacko, not try to install Slacko's Ghostscript into Precise. You would just need to boot off the Slacko Live CD, install the HPLIP driver and test your printer.
I am sorry that I misunderstood your original suggestion. I do not have any spare CD's at present for burning the .iso image to CD.

Anyway, I tried your alternative suggestion and the test print worked fine.

As it appears to be a problem with the installed version of Ghostscript, should I advise Barry Kauler? Obviously in future builds/versions of PuppyLinux, there needs to be a more recent version of Ghostscript.

Thank you again for all your work. It is much appreciated and the time you spent verifying/solving my problem.

Michael

rcrsn51

#198 Post by rcrsn51 »

@marshman: Glad to hear that you solved your duplexing problem. I believe that BarryK has stayed with his old version of Ghostscript because it is very small and works in most situations.

But the issue is gradually resolving itself. Slacko 5.5 has GS 9.0 as does Pemasu's new Upup Raring.

Anyone else can easily upgrade their GS like you did.

bignono1

#199 Post by bignono1 »

Hello rcrsn51 ,
Please help on this HP OfficeJet 4255 all in one ,in win and ubuntu it runs ootb, but no puppy could make it bark,when i run the cups wizard the printer is there but when i choose a driver from the list it is not there , i tried all hplip and fooxx pets but all no go, the hplip driver from HP site ends up saying i need some libs that cant be installed using the installer.
I would like to use this printer with 528 .
Sorry i talk too much with a stupid english also.

rcrsn51

#200 Post by rcrsn51 »

I ran some tests in Lupu 528 and I believe that your OfficeJet 4255 should work with the hplip_print-3.13.4.pet from Page 1.

However, once you start installing other driver packages, it's impossible to know what's going on.

I would recommend that you do a clean install of Lucid with the hplip_print-3.13.4.pet .

If that doesn't work, do another clean install and try lluamco's build here. Note the extra instructions for Lucid.