RESOLVED - Erlang update for percise puppy 5.6.1

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
wibble

RESOLVED - Erlang update for percise puppy 5.6.1

#1 Post by wibble »

Hi,

I have the pet install for erlang at the mo (R14.B04)

http://www.erlang.org/download.html

Is it possible to get the latest version (R16.B01)? For Precise puppy 5.6.1?

Or if someone could point me in the direction on how to make the pet I will have a go myself.

Some might see from my earlier posts as long as it was on a window licker level (forgive me I am originally from Portland via Somerset :lol: ) that I could understand it would be great as I can go off and make some updated pets for other apps for this great distro :P
Last edited by wibble on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Sure. You want the 'pkg' for Ubuntu 12.04.

wibble

#3 Post by wibble »

Thanks Semme! Will download it now.

For anyone reading this thats curious on how to do it, (well windowlicker friendly.)

First potential Gotcha, even if you have a multi-core system your still going to need the 32bit package. (Yes I made this mistake before with VirtualBox. :lol: )

That said if you have a 64 bit puppy, go for the 64 bit package. (or if some time in the future precise puppy gets a 64bit release :P then forshauuwwa:- disregard the above statement.)

How to download:

Go to Terminal.

Go to your destination drive of choice

make a folder

mkdir ERLANG # You could call it anything.. spongebob, NotCobol.. the possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

cd ERLANG
# or whatever you decided to call it...

wget https://elearning.erlang-solutions.com/ ... e_i386.deb --no--check--certificate

There and relax... (or if you are on a connection like mine, make a cup of tea.)

Once the package is downloaded,

type

rox #Ok, I admit I couldn't figure out how to do it from the command line. If anyone could tell me I would be great-full :wink: .

now click on

esl-erlang_16.b.1-1-ubuntu~precise_i386.deb

Follow the package manager instructions,

Wait a while,

Go back to the terminal window & type

erl

And rejoice at the updated goodness of R16B01 :D [/b]

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

You can use 'petget pkg_name' but, no- Pup isn't built with a cmdline pacman.

wibble

#5 Post by wibble »

Semme wrote:You can use 'petget pkg_name' but, no- Pup isn't built with a cmdline pacman.
Yea I wished there was an apt_get type function.

I use wget all the time for stuff, its great. It reminds me of Dos, sure its hard to learn at first but once you learn it its faster than the GUI. Plus you have a force multiplier/leverage when it comes to writing scripts. You already know the commands.

Lot of rage quits must occur when people follow a linux command line and it doesn't work in puppy.

I am guessing there must have been a design theology issue with this for it not to be present.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Need to keep in mind other distros are 1) multi-user and 2) lots bigger.. bigger cause they include LOTS of libs.

Think of Pup as an underdog lightweight among heavyweights. Small, fast, capable. Master of your own ship!

wibble

#7 Post by wibble »

True enough,

(Thess@localhost)6> net_adm:ping('Dan@localhost').
pong

(Dan@localhost)25> net_adm:ping('Thess@localhost').
pong

No pang's so its all good!

Hooray! everything is working.

now if only i could get geany to version 0.23 :o shame I cant get geany to recognize Erlang and give me some sweet rainbow code. but then cant have everything i suppose.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

You mean 1.23? Supposedly has support for Erlang. Perhaps you need a plugins pkg?

wibble

#9 Post by wibble »

:oops: Yea sorry.

I think it has it as standard as you said,

Precise comes with 1.19, I found 1.21 on ppm but no dice. will download the package you linked.

Cheers! 8)

Awesome now have rainbow code & version 1.23!

:P
Attachments
rainbow.png
rainbow code!
(112.68 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Is this from 1.23 alone or with the addition of those plugins?

wibble

#11 Post by wibble »

Thats with all the plugins loaded. I think its because Erlang is a tad obscure its not got the largest of user bases. I bet if I had a go at a python script it would be a lazer light show haha.

its a nice IDE, checks my terrible spelling now so its all good.

I don't have the side panel or the lower window open at the moment.