wireless does not work for me

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
sheine

wireless does not work for me

#1 Post by sheine »

I have searched the internet for a way to make my wireless work but have had no success. I have installed the module prism2_usb. I have used Bob_the_puppy's method, modifying rc.local, etc. Today I attempted to install rutil only to read that GKT+ was not installed when I did the configure.sh step.

Obviously some people know how to do it. I wish that they would let me in on the secret. I might add that on the same computer I have Ubuntu and pclinuxos and I have gotten wireless to work with both of them.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

To start you need to tell us which version of Puppy you're using. Also something about the wireless hardware. :?

sheine

#3 Post by sheine »

Wireless card: AirVast
Router: Netgear wgr614
Puppy 2.10

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

No one on this forum has contributed a prism2_usb driver ("linux-wlan-ng") compatible with the Puppy 2.10 kernel.
You would need to compile the driver yourself within Puppy 2.10. Then the (manual) setup instructions are here http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/driv ... README.txt

I think that Rutil relies on the linux wireless extensions interface, which the linux-wlan-ng driver does not support, so I don't think Rutil will work with prism2_usb.
linux-wlan-ng drivers don't use the common "iwconfig" utility, they have their own unique utility, "wlanctl-ng".

sheine

#5 Post by sheine »

Why wouldn't the driver that I copied from Ubuntu, which uses linux-wlan-ng, work? It didn't.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Modules are highly kernel-specific. Transplanting them from one distribution to another is doomed to fail.

If you go back to Puppy version 2.0, 2.01, or 2.02-regression (but not 2.02) you can use the linux-wlan-ng-0.2.5 driver from here
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Wifi/drivers- ... -and-2.01/