Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Sep 2014, 02:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Live Puppy CD configured my iMac when all else failed!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
rmcellig

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2013, 17:16    Post subject:  Live Puppy CD configured my iMac when all else failed!  

I have a 24" iMac from 2006. At one point in my life I thought and truly beleived that Macs were the be all and end all of computing and that EVERYONE should have a Mac. That was then.

Here we are 2013. I had formatted my iMac hard drive so that I could dual boot Linux. I had Linux Mint installed and it worked fine. I decided to get rid of Linux and just make this a Mac. I went to the Mac Disk Utility and tried to delete the partitions I set up. No luck so I started from the iMac installer CD, went into Disk Utility. Same thing. Same error. So, I booted with the Ubuntu 11.04 Live CD. It asked me for a username and password. Same thing when booting from a Zorin Lite Live CD. Where is that Puppy Linux 5.2.8 CD, I asked myself.

After booting successfully with Puppy, I launched Gparted and deleted the three partitions that related to linux. There was a swap, the linux mint partition and some other tiny partition. After deleting the partitions SUCCESSFULLY, I rebooted my iMac normally, went back into the disk Utility and extended the size of my iMac partition to it's normal full size.

Mission Accomplished!!!

I use Puppy off and on but on this day, today, I realized how valuable this tiny Linux distro is. In my case, it just worked when I needed it to and to me that means the world.

I hope I have imapcted others with my story who might have a Mac laying around and how Puppy can work for them. Now I can get on with using my iMac which in reality is about 10% of my computer time these days. The other 90% is spent using Linux Lite, Crunchbang and my always trusty Puppy Linux. Smile Smile
russoodle

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 04:38    Post subject:  

Hello rmcellig,

I have a 20" iMac of around similar vintage, which i partitioned and setup for OSX Snow Leopard + (mostly Puppy) Linux + large data partition, using rEFIt. I absolutely loved my Mac when i decided to completely and permanently ditch M$ crap back in early 2007....however, only a few months later, i met Puppy and was completely seduced! No nasty arbitrary or user-controlling habits, none of the BS that's associated with using either M$ or Apple stuff, just a versatile, well-behaved (in most cases), house-trained little hound!

Since then, i've been predominantly a Puppy user with occasional use of my lovely Mac machine, although i still love the beautiful glass screen and elegantly-integrated hardware.

The time has come though...my daughter made me an offer i couldn't refuse, so now i have to restore the Mac to its former fully-Apple OSX condition to give to her.

I'm grateful for the info in your post, because i don't know if rEFIt will reverse the procedure successfully or if i will, like you, be using Puppy to accomplish this mission... i'll post the results here, anyway..... and thank you Smile

russoodle

rmcellig

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 04:57    Post subject:  

Nice to hear from you, russoodle!

Let me know how it goes. I'm back to my normal Mac state. I followed the instructions on how to delete refit and now I have my iMac back to normal.

I only use my iMac to watch videos because of the large screen. Do you use puppy lucid 5.2.8?

I always seem to go back to puppy. It's fast and meets all my needs. I do audio recording and editing for my radio show. Puppy works great on my old dell 3000.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: