alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Scooby

#541 Post by Scooby »

Tried to test icecat on alphaos but the package was very large and I ran out of space.

How can I either

Specify a different tmp dir for packer to use

or

Install a package from a local dir

BTW Which browser in your opinion is the best concerning privacy?

simargl

#542 Post by simargl »

packer is using /tmp folder for making packages, which is not part of save file so there is no
need for different temporary folder.

But, if installed package is taking too much space you can use arch2sfs script to convert arch
package to sfs module.

Just open terminal in the same folder where Arch package is located and type:
arch2sfs icecat

smil99

#543 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
I am still unable to connect wirelessly in V8 :(
I moved Pwireless2 installation folder to /usr/share/pwireless2 and in that process in all files
from that package replaced /usr/local/Pwireless2 mentionings with /usr/share/pwireless2.
Perhaps, the above changes might have effected pwireless. You might want to look at this again.
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

simargl

#544 Post by simargl »

After this comment about successful wireless connection in version 8 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 907#710907,
I think pwireless2 is not the problem.
Really what is I have no idea, but with high probability it is somehow related to eudev.

Scooby

#545 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote:packer is using /tmp folder for making packages, which is not part of save file so there is no
need for different temporary folder.

But, if installed package is taking too much space you can use arch2sfs script to convert arch
Now that you mention it that I remember but why does bsdtar report no space
left? I got 6 gig ram and mmaybe 200GB free on HD?

Furthermore when I try Arch2sfs icecat I get

Code: Select all

Extracting:

cp: cannot stat '/root/tmp/*': No such file or directory
Creating icecat.sfs
Why is it trying /root/tmp and not /tmp

I want to add that since I cannot get wireless to work in 8 I'm still on Alphaos 7

simargl

#546 Post by simargl »

I've checked in AUR and there seems only one icecat PKGBUILD https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/icecat/, and it goes through whole source compiling process

So, my suggestion is go to this page
https://parabolagnulinux.org/packages/l ... 86/icecat/

1. dowload package

2. then go to folder where is that package saved, right click "Open terminal here"

3. type: arch2sfs icecat

(click to enlarge)
---

smil99

#547 Post by smil99 »

yr1945 wrote:
simargl... yes, i can connect with pwireless... to get all available networks in your area, you have to click "roam"... then click "refresh"... then, log onto your respective wireless network... to get your IP to show, you have to click "roam & refresh" again... (Note: these buttoms are at the bottom of the pwireless screen)

sometimes, you have to repeat the above steps a couple of times... but, it always works.
yr1945, can you please confirm if this is in version 8? I am able to do all that in version 7 but not in version 8 :? .
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]

simargl

#548 Post by simargl »

If someone is interested in trying old DOS and Win3 games in DosBox, with but Win3.11 transformed to look like XP follow links bellow...

Since several versions ago, DOSBox supports running Windows 3.x inside itself. This way, you can run old Windows games via DOSBox - things like Stars!, Zombie Wars (etc.), which no longer work normally (if at all) on modern versions of Windows.
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770

Calmira is a complete 16-bit shell that lets you manage files, launch applications and control tasks. It brings Windows 3.1 up to date with some of the advanced user interface enhancements from the Windows world, and for most people, provides welcome relief from the awkwardness of File Manager.
http://www.calmira.de/downloads/

...from slitaz forum, screen shots also there
http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/slitaz-5- ... post-26453

simargl

#549 Post by simargl »

After reading that udev now does automatic mount of devtmpfs to /dev, I made a change in rc.sysinit to remove that line where it was done "manually". On later reboot sound did work but volumeicon from tray disappeared, and alsamixer launched from terminal reported something like "missing mixer device".

So I checked and noticed this line in /etc/rc.sysinit

rm -rf /etc/modprobe.d/{alsa_card*.conf,blacklist*.conf} /dev/ttyUSB* /dev/mixer /dev/snd
Means on every boot /dev/mixer and /dev/snd were removed :shock:

On hard disk I have a copy of the original Woof, and relevant part for this is bellow

#101119 new /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe, these must be deleted every boot...
rm -f /etc/modprobe.d/alsa_card*.conf 2>/dev/null
touch /etc/modules/firmware.dep.inst.${KERNVER} #make sure exists.
rm -f /dev/ttyUSB* 2>/dev/null #101210 may have been left there if modem plugged in at shutdown.
rm -f /dev/mixer 2>/dev/null #110113 make sure removed, see test in /etc/init.d/10alsa.
rm -f /dev/snd/* #110304 after a reboot, some of these may be wrong.
mkdir /tmp/rc_sysinit #101210 for logging into.
mkdir /tmp/pup_event_backend #101210 for logging into, see /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe.
mkdir /tmp/simple_network_setup #101216
Anyway, I removed previous line from alphaos rc.sysinit, now everything seems OK, just wonder is there some explanation why /dev/mixer and /dev/snd are removed on boot in original Puppy.

Also there is new line added to show when udev daemon is started during boot, commands are executed strictly by the book (lfs)

https://bitbucket.org/simargl/alphaos/commits

john3voltas

#550 Post by john3voltas »

smil99 wrote:
yr1945 wrote:simargl... yes, i can connect with pwireless... to get all available networks in your area, you have to click "roam"... then click "refresh"... then, log onto your respective wireless network... to get your IP to show, you have to click "roam & refresh" again... (Note: these buttoms are at the bottom of the pwireless screen)

sometimes, you have to repeat the above steps a couple of times... but, it always works.
yr1945, can you please confirm if this is in version 8? I am able to do all that in version 7 but not in version 8 :? .
Cheers.
Indeed, yr1945 can you please confirm that you are running 8?
I can also connect using 7 but not with 8.
Let me explain. With 7 I have to install rfkill and run 'rfkill unblock all' whenever it boots up.
That's for enabling the wifi-radio that otherwise keeps complaining that it is blocked by software.
Then I have to reset wpa_supplicant and then Pwireless2 can connect to the wifi network.
I can do most of this with 8 but when I enable the wifi-radio it can actually find wifi networks and it asks me for the password but then it says the password is incorrect when I know it is perfectly fine.
Cheers

yr1945

#551 Post by yr1945 »

@ smil99 & john3voltas.....

yes, i just downloaded alphaOS 8 again and burned the iso to a cd... i am now responding to you from it.

i right clicked the desktop, clicked applications, clicked internet, clicked pwireless2.

the initial screen showed no wireless networks... i clicked "roam"...a few seconds went by before "roam" completed... still, no wireless connections... i had to click "refresh" two times and then i saw my wireless router... (however, if at this point you don't see your wireless router, keep clicking roam/refresh, eventually, you will see it).

after logging on, it still indicated no connection... i clicked roam/refresh and it showed me connected... but the screen at bottom right still did not show an ip address... i clicked roam/refresh and the ip address appeared... note: you may have to click "roam" then "refresh" or... "refresh" then "roam"... just keep clicking until you are connected and your ip address shows up... this process is cumbersome, but it does get you on the internet.

Scooby

#552 Post by Scooby »

yr1945 wrote: ... click "roam" then "refresh" or... "refresh" then "roam"... just keep clicking until you are connected and your ip address shows up...
This does not work for me. When I start Pwireless I get message "No wireless interface found"

Roam + refresh doesnt change this

No time to search for problem right now.

Since it works a 100% in AlphaOS7 I will stay with it.

smil99

#553 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl and all,
Attached is frisbee network connecting tool, copied from Barrys raring puppy. Test it by expanding it and manually copy the files to their respective places in alphaOS 8. A menu entry should appear under 'internet".
I am able to connect to internet (both wifi and wired) in alphaOS 8 using this but not with pwireless. Sorry yr1945 :)

PS.
I haven't learned how to package it as a .pkg.tar.xz file for easy installation. I also know ppet is not officially endorsed in alphaOS hence the absence of a .pet :wink:
Cheers.
Attachments
frisbee_alphaOS8.tar.gz
(44.39 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

simargl

#554 Post by simargl »

Hi and thanks for this package smil99 :)

Good news is that eudev was not problematic after all, and wireless connection issues many had were pwireless fault.

Now pwireless2 package can be replaced with frisbee. I think you made this package on FAT32 or NTFS partition because everything has permission 777. I'll fix that and upload source here http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/sources/, then use it to make a package for next version.

Cheers

---
Later
Edit /reminder about changes:

- fixed files permissions
- resized icon to 64x64 and moved from /usr/share/pixmaps to /usr/share/icons/hicolor...
- removed xpupdream xpupsay xpupthink
- moved envsubst to /bin (this prevents file conflict if gettext package is installed with pacman)
- added compatible ipinfo
- added gtkdialog-splash
- removed yaf-splash (pwireless only used this)
- fixed /etc/rc.conf to start /etc/init.d/frisbee on boot instead of pwireless
- in /usr/share/frisbee/func replaced defaulttexteditor with text-editor

smil99

#555 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
Kudos for polishing up frisbee :) .
moved envsubst to /bin (this prevents file conflict if gettext package is installed with pacman
Actually, I copied envsubst from /usr/bin of devel_80.sfs :) since not all users download and let alone, load the devel_**.sfs packages.
added gtkdialog-splash
I was thinking about that too. All in all, a great job done. I just hope it will work well for others too. Oh yes ... frisbee handles wired connections too so you can test that one.

Cheers.

Scooby

#556 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote: Good news is that eudev was not problematic after all, and wireless connection issues many had were pwireless fault.
Tried frisbee real quick but didnt work for me.

Still wlan interface is not recognized at all.

Is this a eudev problem or did you remove some firmware from the AlphaOS 7 version

Marv

8.0 wireless using frisbee

#557 Post by Marv »

If wireless is intel iwlwifi, to get wlan0, you have to modprobe iwldvm and mac80211. I place them in the modules line in /etc/rc.conf. That said, I downloaded the frisbee from sourceforge and had a quick go (pristine frugal install of 8.0 on iwlwifi laptop). Not quite there yet for me. Sees wlan0, no networks. restarting dhcpd and refreshing gets me list of networks. Select my network and click on connect and they disappear. No time to look at it now but I think it's the direction to go.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Scooby

Re: 8.0 wireless using frisbee

#558 Post by Scooby »

Marv wrote:If wireless is intel iwlwifi, to get wlan0, you have to modprobe iwldvm and mac80211. I place them in the modules line in /etc/rc.conf.
I love you man, This was exactly what was needed.

I have the deepest respect for your knowledge and your willingness to share.

Why wasnt this needed in AlphaOS 7?

Pwireless2 is working perfectly on my system now.

Time to migrate to AlphaOS 8 :D

Scooby

#559 Post by Scooby »

I cannot get clock to work.

it seems

rdate -s tick.greyware.com
from /root/.start doesnt get executed

when I run it in terminal I get message

rdate: timeout connecting to time server

I tried ntpdate also to no success

I did the

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris /etc/localtime

Does clock work perfectly for everybody else?

Marv

rdate

#560 Post by Marv »

Scooby wrote:I cannot get clock to work.

it seems

rdate -s tick.greyware.com
from /root/.start doesnt get executed

when I run it in terminal I get message

rdate: timeout connecting to time server

I tried ntpdate also to no success

I did the

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris /etc/localtime

Does clock work perfectly for everybody else?
That rdate line runs ok in terminal and on restart of x for me. I also have it run when the laptop wakes from suspend. However, on my systems, the wireless is just barely up by the end of .start, even with rdate at the end of .start and a sleep 7s line preceding it. If it runs ok in terminal, it's a timing thing and you can delay longer before running it. If it won't run in terminal when you know you are connected, I don't know. I assume you have the following line at the beginning of /root/.start

/etc/init.d/hwclock start &
Edited: I didn't see originally that you had tried it in terminal. Another thought. Check resolv.conf in /etc. My ISP serves up a REALLLY slow primary DNS server and that causes wget etc to time out while the browser still works. resolv.conf.head in /etc will add its contents to resolv.conf at boot and fix this. The contents of my /etc/resolv.conf.head for example is

nameserver 4.2.2.2
nameserver 4.2.2.5
Good luck,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.