Gnome Pie

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
rmcellig

Gnome Pie

#1 Post by rmcellig »

Is it possible to have a pet for this:

http://www.simonschneegans.de/?page_id=12

I use it in Ubuntu and like it.

If there is something similar for Puppy in terms of functionality, I'd like to know.

Thanks!!

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, rmcellig.

Interesting concept! Technically, it is no doubt possible to make a Puppy package/implementation of Gnome Pie! (or of any package)

I viewed Simon's videos, and at first glance (I must say that I do not understand German), it looks like a mind-map applied to a menu situation.

I'm not promising anything at this point other than studying it. The concept of a circular menu is foreign to me, since I tend to think in tree fashion (I'm more deductive than empirical).

If I remember correctly, there was a wm based on this concept, perhaps 10 years ago. Maybe unearth it to understand the concept better.

How do you use it? Have you created your own menus? Is there a menu generator for Gnome Pie? I'm asking because "translating" the Puppy linear menu as various circular "sub-pies" (if such exist!) is not obvious to me at this point.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

It's a pretty cool concept. I was thinking of using it for my Mom. She was trying out Puppy Linux 5.2.8 and what I did for her was create four large letter shortcuts on the pinboard (Skype, Facebook, Banking and Mail). She loves that. I came across gnome pie and thought it was an interesting concept.

I think there is an english video on youtube. Never really had a chance to try it out fully though.