When clicking Quickpet & Internet there's no version of FF!

Using applications, configuring, problems
benny7440

When clicking Quickpet & Internet there's no version of FF!

#1 Post by benny7440 »

I know there're many more updated versions of FF available than the one I'm using right now, which is 14.0.1, somewhere. My OS is Puppy Linux 5.28.005.

I browsed a sub-forum for the referenced pet-file but nothing official was found. My question is what & where is the most recent version that I can use with my OS?

PS. Can it benefit me to update, instead, the puppy version I'm running?

Thanks for any info on these subjects!

PSS. Should I, in the future, post my questions in this forum or it's more correct to use one of the sub-forums?

EDIT: After finally accepting that in linux one can accept to update FF as suggested by itself or one can upgrade to a newer Puppy &, often, solve that issue I consider this problem SOLVED. In fact, I'm writing this from Slacko-5.5.4G's FF19.0.
Last edited by benny7440 on Fri 26 Jul 2013, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

hi benny7440,

open firefox, then click the 'help' menu, then 'about firefox' and you should get an option to update it there
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

benny7440

#3 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for replying 666philb!

Two times in my life, close to the point in time when I switched from Windows to Linux (BTW, it was a Puppy version in each case) many years ago I ended up breaking things down. The process I used then was exactly the one you're proposing now (or a very close one --by accepting the proposed version on the daily Mozilla message window).

They offer(ed) updates just for Windows OS (back then). I must admit that I never repeated my attempt at it again...

Someone explained to me then that for a program to work within linux it should be written with that in mind: compilation, dependencied, libs, kernel...<--- all these were important &, most likely, indispensible!

Are you telling me that Mozilla is making available a linux version for my Puppy now?

Edit: In fact, I clicked on that button & it started to download a 24.1MB file... just finished downloading; now it's asking me to click again on Apply Update. Again, are you SURE that Mozilla revised my system enough to know that I need a linux copy of their software & that that is what I downloaded?
Last edited by benny7440 on Tue 09 Jul 2013, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Benny- leave the complication bit out and simply follow Philb's lead.. 'help' >> 'about' >> check for updates.

benny7440

#5 Post by benny7440 »

Ok, I did it! It worked much better than I expected; thanks to you too, Semme for your encouragement!

I'm not saying all is well, either...

1) my previous Flash plugin isn't working anymore, for security reasons??? (as reported by FF);
2) my Quicktime plugin, neither;

I tried to update first the Flash but I found out that the page for downloading was NOT available... So, I can't hear my favorite web-station ('cause the Play button dissappeared). Second, I tried to update the other plugin but can't find where it might be found...

I think some guidance from knowledgeable people to solve these 2 issues is needed by my part.

Thanks in advance for your help!

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Check your system's PPM for latest version of those. If not found, search this forum for PETs which can be added to your system.

Hope this helps

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Benny- does this state your version? You need one of these. If the first doesn't work- install the second right on top..

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

So like.. whaddaya do'n there Benny? C'mon guy- TODAY!

benny7440

#9 Post by benny7440 »

Note: I was writing this post at the same time you did yours but you posted first...

Thanks Semme, gcmartin (good to hear from you again) & 666philb, for your good support!

I've a little confussion with what's reported by the Tools>Add-ons page but it seems to be working, I mean the web-radio station I mentioned before. It reports 2 instances of the plug-in, though.

For this to work out I had to re-start FF first (no big deal).

Since it's working now I'm not going to deal with this any more, but I'll check later if, indeed, I've the most updated Flash plugin version as well as the Quicktime one that never found nowhere. I also need to ask you if I've to do something with the previous Flash plugin because it's still showing?

PS. Semme, if you're interested in the atmosphere around me I'll tell you to look for Chantal (tropical storm + Caribbean) in Google. I also have to run now in order to use my lawnmower at least for 30 mins (if I'm lucky)...

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

:D Mow that lawn Champ!

Plugins >> Shockwave Flash says you're run'n which version?

QuickTime's in PPM, listed as: gecko-mediaplayer-1.0.6

FF's >> 'help' >> 'about' says 22.0, right?

Is your browsers language English?

en-GB, en-ZA or en-US?

benny7440

#11 Post by benny7440 »

The "Java (TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_22" showed Disabled & I enabled it after checking them today (haven't restarted FF yet to see if there's any change in behavior). I'm uploading a screenshot of the page for you to inspect, Semme.

The version of the running FF is indeed 22.0 and my language is English (en-US).[/img]
Attachments
my_plugins.png
These were my plugins page after enabling the last one entry: Java(TM) Plug-in
(154.18 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

So long as your *typical* Flash sites work, leave Java disabled unless you KNOW one requires it.

benny7440

#13 Post by benny7440 »

What do you think I should do with the old flash plugin that's still showing there?

Burn_IT

#14 Post by Burn_IT »

Remove it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

OscarTalks

#15 Post by OscarTalks »

If you click the blue "more" link it may tell you the folder path to the old "libflashplayer.so" lib.

The new one should be in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and there shouldn't be two of the same name in there. There are other locations where Firefox will find the Flash Player plugin and that may be why you have two instances. If you can find the old "libflashplayer.so" you can just delete the file. Maybe even use Pfind to search for "libflashplayer.so".

Flash Player was updated to 11.2.202.297 yesterday so you may wish to uninstall the .pet via PPM and install the .pet of the new version.
Oscar in England

benny7440

#16 Post by benny7440 »

I used <searchmonkey> to search for "libflashplayer.so" & the only 2 instances found were of the new one: one at initrd & the other at /user/lib/mozilla/plugin. So I searched manually on these & other folders & removed some pets & compressed files found around but nothing in relation to the flashplayer plugin. I'm making sure the old one is disabled, though; the same thing with the Java plugin.

Any ideas as to the whereabouts of this old plugin? Within the tab opened by FF I can't find an option for removing it. Thanks!

Edit: Thanks to Burn_IT & OscarTalks for replying; nothing found for deleting &, since I haven't finished with this apparently simple task I'm not updating this again for fear of compounding the issue.

Edit: Semme, I downloaded the gecko plugin but it failed to install. At the time I tried it I was using FF with 4 Tabs open, one of them in WQXR. I also had 5 other windows active: gnuplot, roxfiler, pdfviewer & gnumeric + a gnuplot graph window; does this might interfere with it? Might also be a dependency deficiency...

Edit: I went to many pages at the sfs site but nothing in relation to gecko appeared (I went there because while working from the shell it was suggested). I then tried using Mozilla's site but no luck there, either. I used the PPM but neither using the search feature in that window or looking at each of the tabs rendered any useful results.

I then downloaded a package (...tar.gz), decompressed it & 2 files there (readme & install) were empty = 0 bytes. So, Iǘe decompressed the data & I'll leave it there at ~/.mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-1.0.8 folder waiting for tips as to the fact if it's safe to procede anyway.

Thanks!
Last edited by benny7440 on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#17 Post by OscarTalks »

So what you have now is Firefox 14.0.1 which updated via the Help menu all the way to version 22? That is quite a big jump and I am wondering if there is a glitch with the recognition of the Flash Player plugin. Can you remember where the 14.0.1 came from?

Do you have any other browsers installed?
Can you find the Firefox directory (maybe in /usr/lib) and have you looked in the sub-directories in there?

In your first post you mentioned upgrading everything to a newer Puppy. Maybe you could at least consider dumping that Firefox and all the profile data in /root and starting with a fresh Firefox 22. Lots of people are still using Lucid but it was dropped as a current "Official" Puppy some while ago now. Slacko 5.5 ships with Firefox and newer Puppies have the GetFlash utility.

Did you install the Flash Player .PET from my thread? If so I would suggest that uninstalling it via PPM will not complicate things, but might actually help because with that one removed it might be easier to discover if there is an old libflashplayer.so lurking in your system somewhere.
Oscar in England

benny7440

#18 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks OscarTalks for replying, apparently we were writing & posting almost at the same time!

I'm using FF 22.0 right now (hearing wqxr = a web radio station) with ~6 tabs open = no problem with these things. Yes, You're right, I jumped from 14.0* to 22.0. The FF 14.* was a pet file but don't remember the site's addrs (not in my d/l history).

Dillo, that comes with puppy & nothing else. I checked all sub-folders there as well as in mozilla but only found the references to the new one.

Are you suggesting me to try/upgrade to Slacko 5.5?

I installed the Flash-Pet from your thread. I'll give some thought to the idea you suggest of uninstalling it, searching for the "poltergeist", exorcise it &, then, reinstalling the latest version.

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Big jump is right, but worth the shot. Does sound as though a clean install's in order.

THIS.. you CAN'T do. Anytime it's an FF related plugin, keep FF closed.
I downloaded the gecko plugin but it failed to install. At the time I tried it I was using FF..
Now if and when you're ready, there's NOTHING to uninstall.

We'll simply delete FF and extract the new copy. :wink: EASY..

Here, skip step 1, then in this order >> 2, 4 >> NOW extract *all* to /usr/lib.

You should wind up with FF in this location >> /usr/lib/firefox.

Your existing menu items 8) remain intact.

benny7440

#20 Post by benny7440 »

To Semme first: I'm not sure I understood your last message: "THIS.. you CAN'T do. Anytime it's an FF related plugin, keep FF closed." I found the previous FF folder & deleted it with all its' contents (haven't restarted FF to see if there's any change, yet).

Yesterday, and even more today I'm witnessing a slow response from FF AWA the streaming data from WQXR stopping every 10-20 mins for no apparent reason but, certainly, yesterday after finishing d/l something it stopped & never resumed on its own, so had to click on the Pause botton on the WQXR page & Play again for it to resume playing the audio. Nothing like this happenned with the previous version...

Now, I'm considering something that OscarTalks wrote: upgrading to Slacko 5.5. If this's something that comes with everything needed AWA a newer (and stable) version of FF it would take a rock out of my way right away.

To OscarTalks second: Can I run any of the apis I've installed in PL 528.005 there too? All my Puppies are frugally installed, can I use the same method for Slacko?

Thanks for your help guys, you're indeed knowledgeable people; I wonder what a person can do in 6 months with all the knowledge all of you have condensed in one brain with a solar-rechargeable tablet in a hidden island with, of course, sattelite ready internet (high speed for sure)..., not to forget that very needed companion for helping on necessary chores!

Edit: I almost forgot to mention that I went to PPM & didn't see anything NEW in relation to the Flash plugin in any of the 'tabs'.