Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 27 Aug 2014, 12:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
When clicking Quickpet & Internet there's no version of FF!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
benny7440

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 12:09    Post subject:  When clicking Quickpet & Internet there's no version of FF!
Subject description: SOLVED - So one cannot tell what's going to be downloaded.

I know there're many more updated versions of FF available than the one I'm using right now, which is 14.0.1, somewhere. My OS is Puppy Linux 5.28.005.

I browsed a sub-forum for the referenced pet-file but nothing official was found. My question is what & where is the most recent version that I can use with my OS?

PS. Can it benefit me to update, instead, the puppy version I'm running?

Thanks for any info on these subjects!

PSS. Should I, in the future, post my questions in this forum or it's more correct to use one of the sub-forums?

EDIT: After finally accepting that in linux one can accept to update FF as suggested by itself or one can upgrade to a newer Puppy &, often, solve that issue I consider this problem SOLVED. In fact, I'm writing this from Slacko-5.5.4G's FF19.0.

Last edited by benny7440 on Fri 26 Jul 2013, 15:20; edited 1 time in total
666philb

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 13:33    Post subject:  

hi benny7440,

open firefox, then click the 'help' menu, then 'about firefox' and you should get an option to update it there

benny7440

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 16:10    Post subject:  

Thanks for replying 666philb!

Two times in my life, close to the point in time when I switched from Windows to Linux (BTW, it was a Puppy version in each case) many years ago I ended up breaking things down. The process I used then was exactly the one you're proposing now (or a very close one --by accepting the proposed version on the daily Mozilla message window).

They offer(ed) updates just for Windows OS (back then). I must admit that I never repeated my attempt at it again...

Someone explained to me then that for a program to work within linux it should be written with that in mind: compilation, dependencied, libs, kernel...<--- all these were important &, most likely, indispensible!

Are you telling me that Mozilla is making available a linux version for my Puppy now?

Edit: In fact, I clicked on that button & it started to download a 24.1MB file... just finished downloading; now it's asking me to click again on Apply Update. Again, are you SURE that Mozilla revised my system enough to know that I need a linux copy of their software & that that is what I downloaded?

Last edited by benny7440 on Tue 09 Jul 2013, 16:21; edited 1 time in total
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 16:15    Post subject:  

Benny- leave the complication bit out and simply follow Philb's lead.. 'help' >> 'about' >> check for updates.
benny7440

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 16:49    Post subject:  

Ok, I did it! It worked much better than I expected; thanks to you too, Semme for your encouragement!

I'm not saying all is well, either...

1) my previous Flash plugin isn't working anymore, for security reasons??? (as reported by FF);
2) my Quicktime plugin, neither;

I tried to update first the Flash but I found out that the page for downloading was NOT available... So, I can't hear my favorite web-station ('cause the Play button dissappeared). Second, I tried to update the other plugin but can't find where it might be found...

I think some guidance from knowledgeable people to solve these 2 issues is needed by my part.

Thanks in advance for your help!
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 17:09    Post subject:  

Check your system's PPM for latest version of those. If not found, search this forum for PETs which can be added to your system.

Hope this helps

Semme

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 17:13    Post subject:  

Benny- does this state your version? You need one of these. If the first doesn't work- install the second right on top..
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 18:18    Post subject:  

So like.. whaddaya do'n there Benny? C'mon guy- TODAY!
benny7440

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 18:39    Post subject:  

Note: I was writing this post at the same time you did yours but you posted first...

Thanks Semme, gcmartin (good to hear from you again) & 666philb, for your good support!

I've a little confussion with what's reported by the Tools>Add-ons page but it seems to be working, I mean the web-radio station I mentioned before. It reports 2 instances of the plug-in, though.

For this to work out I had to re-start FF first (no big deal).

Since it's working now I'm not going to deal with this any more, but I'll check later if, indeed, I've the most updated Flash plugin version as well as the Quicktime one that never found nowhere. I also need to ask you if I've to do something with the previous Flash plugin because it's still showing?

PS. Semme, if you're interested in the atmosphere around me I'll tell you to look for Chantal (tropical storm + Caribbean) in Google. I also have to run now in order to use my lawnmower at least for 30 mins (if I'm lucky)...
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul 2013, 18:47    Post subject:  

Very Happy Mow that lawn Champ!

Plugins >> Shockwave Flash says you're run'n which version?

QuickTime's in PPM, listed as: gecko-mediaplayer-1.0.6

FF's >> 'help' >> 'about' says 22.0, right?

Is your browsers language English?

en-GB, en-ZA or en-US?
benny7440

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jul 2013, 09:53    Post subject:  

The "Java (TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_22" showed Disabled & I enabled it after checking them today (haven't restarted FF yet to see if there's any change in behavior). I'm uploading a screenshot of the page for you to inspect, Semme.

The version of the running FF is indeed 22.0 and my language is English (en-US).[/img]
my_plugins.png
Description  These were my plugins page after enabling the last one entry: Java(TM) Plug-in
png

Download 
Filename  my_plugins.png 
Filesize  154.18 KB 
Downloaded  115 Time(s) 
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jul 2013, 09:57    Post subject:  

So long as your *typical* Flash sites work, leave Java disabled unless you KNOW one requires it.
benny7440

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jul 2013, 10:59    Post subject:  

What do you think I should do with the old flash plugin that's still showing there?
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:27    Post subject:  

Remove it.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:30    Post subject:  

If you click the blue "more" link it may tell you the folder path to the old "libflashplayer.so" lib.

The new one should be in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and there shouldn't be two of the same name in there. There are other locations where Firefox will find the Flash Player plugin and that may be why you have two instances. If you can find the old "libflashplayer.so" you can just delete the file. Maybe even use Pfind to search for "libflashplayer.so".

Flash Player was updated to 11.2.202.297 yesterday so you may wish to uninstall the .pet via PPM and install the .pet of the new version.

Page 1 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: