Puppy Onebone 2.10 iso

News, happenings
Nathan F

Puppy Onebone 2.10 iso

#1 Post by Nathan F »

This is an updated take on the Onebone concept for a CLI only Puppy. There is a pretty good but pretty basic set of programs here that should make it possible to do most of the normal tasks of using a computer. This is as far as I intend to take the project, although I haven't ruled out creating a few more packages for it. Here's the highlights.

elinks browser with all the options
netrik browser
elmo email client
mpg123 mp3 player
cdplay cd player
twin console window manager
tinyirc IM client
midnight commander file manager
gpm mouse daemon, which should start at bootup
eznet dialup utility, with lucent and smartlink drivers included
pkgtool package manager
sc spreadsheet program
antiword document viewer
mp text editor

I'm currently hosting this at grafpup.com but if there are too many downloads will have to mirror elsewhere.
http://www.grafpup.com/download/onebone ... elinks.iso
http://www.grafpup.com/download/onebone/iso/md5sum

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Last edited by MU on Wed 27 Sep 2006, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sounds fun. I might install it when I get the chance just for fun. I also might use it for a project I have in mind using Puppy (jukebox-type-deal), but I'll need to get the hardware first. I'll probably buy half my old computer from my brother since I know it runs well, and he wants to upgrade those parts anyway. Then I'll help him replace those old parts with newer ones (the parts that he'd keep are already semi-decent) and then he'd have a mid-range computer and I'd have most of what I need to start on my project. I need to find some time to price check it though, because he doesn't have a whole lot to use (he would, but he's going to pitch in with my sister to buy the Console Formerly Known as the Nintendo Revolution). I want to do it this year, though, so I might just give him the stuff he needs as an early Christmas present or something. Maybe a Halloween present.

This should be perfect for it though. I already know the standard Puppy runs fine on that old computer, so a CLI Puppy will be right at home. And it's a third of the size, so it will start that much more quickly. And the nice CLI programs will make it easier to edit without needing X installed.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Dougal

#4 Post by Dougal »

Pizzasgood wrote:I'll need to get the hardware first. I'll probably buy half my old computer from my brother since I know it runs well, and he wants to upgrade those parts anyway. Then I'll help him replace those old parts with newer ones (the parts that he'd keep are already semi-decent) and then he'd have a mid-range computer and I'd have most of what I need to start on my project. I need to find some time to price check it though, because he doesn't have a whole lot to use (he would, but he's going to pitch in with my sister to buy the Console Formerly Known as the Nintendo Revolution). I want to do it this year, though, so I might just give him the stuff he needs as an early Christmas present or something. Maybe a Halloween present.
Don't buy hardware! Look around uni, look in dupsters. End of the year is obviously best, but you can always find stuff.
Waiting for Windows Vista to come out is also a good idea, you'll probably find loads of P-III's around then...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

Dougal wrote:Don't buy hardware! Look around uni, look in dupsters. End of the year is obviously best, but you can always find stuff.
Waiting for Windows Vista to come out is also a good idea, you'll probably find loads of P-III's around then...
Exactly. Just ask around, find out who's buying a new machine and doesn't want the old one anymore.

And encourage all your friends to upgrade to Vista ASAP, that way there'll be a lot of hardware going spare.... :twisted:

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, my original plan was to just take the old parts when he upgrades his computer, but then I realized he probably wouldn't be able to upgrade until next year. I figure if I buy my old parts back from him it will cut his expense in half. Call it a purchess or a gift. Makes no difference. He gets a faster machine and I get my good-old PIII back. I'm going to get it back in the end anyway, whether I help him out or not.

Not that I won't grab a free box if I get the chance. I don't know what I'd do with it yet, but I'd definately find a use for it. Build a robot or something. Actually, I always wanted the "LEGO Mindstorms" kit. I could probably hook up something similar myself with some help from the web.

Hmm....robot + Puppy + big campus = automated chalker with Puppy logos....
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

raffy

amazing

#7 Post by raffy »

This is amazing - thanks a lot, Nathan!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

klhrevolutionist

#8 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Trobin

#9 Post by Trobin »

How do you connect this to the internet, using an ethernet card?

John Doe

#10 Post by John Doe »

Assign Static IP/Default Route
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up
route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1

DHCP
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd -t 10 -h puppypc -d eth0

more fun on this page (a very small number of things on this page won't be in there)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ShellScriptsExamples

Trobin

#11 Post by Trobin »

Thank you

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

Yes I know this is from 2007 but CLI OS is kind of not so well known today? So it is kind of interesting to get why them fail to be interesting.

PupNGo by GoingNuts is also a CLI puppy os how do them differ?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though