Wary Puppy in Compaq S4100NX

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
quantrex

Wary Puppy in Compaq S4100NX

#1 Post by quantrex »

I heard about the Wary Puppy 5.5 O/S a few months back and decided to try it out on an old Compaq S4100NX that I had in the closet. The machine long ago was given 1.5Gb of PC3200 RAM, the Celeron processor replaced with a 2.4GHz 400MHz FSB Pentium and a 256Mb 3D-Fusion nVidia FX5500 PCI video card. It didn't had a hard drive....and still doesn't.
It was ridiculously easy. Connect the peripherals, plug a 4.0Gb SanDisk flash drive in one USB port and a RealTek wireless network module in another; put the boot CD in the DVD-ROM drive and fire it up.
The machine runs smoother and faster than it ever did before; so much so that my laptop stays in its case when I come home. I especially like the fact that I can pull the flash drive and, while the machine can still be used, all my personal info is gone.
Thanks Folks!

quantrex

suddenly problems

#2 Post by quantrex »

After several weeks of seamless operation, now the system will not connect to my router via the wireless module. It recognizes the network and has an 88 for signal strength but will not connect. It isn't the router or the module; plugging the module into three other computers (including another also running Puppy Wary 5.5) also gets an 85-88 signal strength and no problems connecting. This computer has no network port so a cable isn't an option. Puppy itself is terminating the signal and deactivating the module.

rokytnji

#3 Post by rokytnji »

Since no info on what the exact RealTek wireless chip number you are using plus details on Puppy wary install are lacking.

Network: Card-1: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 06:00.0

Maybe will help, maybe not.

Link

quantrex

#4 Post by quantrex »

HornetTek High Power 802.11 b/g/n USB adapter PN#: HT2223BK Driver listed in the SNS is rtl819xU; device lists as an RTL8188S in System Info.

rokytnji

#5 Post by rokytnji »

quantrex wrote:HornetTek High Power 802.11 b/g/n USB adapter PN#: HT2223BK Driver listed in the SNS is rtl819xU; device lists as an RTL8188S in System Info.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 78b9be480a

More at Link

quantrex

#6 Post by quantrex »

I found an easy way to solve the problem.
I reformatted the flash drive and now keep only my text files, pictures and my bookmarks on it. I do not save the system when I shut the computer down. That makes each boot-up just like using Ubuntu Live and the computer has no problems connecting to the router thru the module.
Text files and bookmarks can be imported far easier than messing with scripts and patches. Maybe not ideal for some, but it works fine for me. Besides, nothing I saw on those threads was an absolute fix for the problem.
I am a bit disappointed that this was a known problem three years ago and hasn't been taken care of yet.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Quantrex, consider replacing that DVD-ROM drive with a DVD burner. Then you could run Puppy from a multisession DVD. I've been doing that for six or seven years. I save my configuration (including network) and installed programs on the multisession DVD, and all the non-OS stuff on a flash drive like you do.

quantrex

#8 Post by quantrex »

I did a quick reshuffle. Puppy 5.28 replaced Wary Puppy. The video card was replaced with a LinkSys PCI network card and plugged into the router via a cable.
No connection problems and the on-baord video works fine.