Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 02:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 8 of 38 [560 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
Author Message
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4367
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2013, 18:53    Post subject:  

Does this ...

Quote:
Step 5

Now reboot your computer and press f2 to enter UEFI setup (Some computers use a different key to enter setup). Then add your new fat32 partition as a boot option. Unfortunately this process varies quite a bit.

For this particular laptop you have to disable secure boot to use the "File Browser Add Boot Option", then re-enable it when your done. Again this process varies a lot. Generally on the boot tab you will find some way to add a new boot option. After you find the button to to add a boot option, you will be asked to select a partition. This is kind of cryptic as well, and might take some guessing. Then you will be asked to browse to a bootable EFI application, this will be EFI/boot/bootx64.efi on your new fat32 partition. If you can't browse to that path or you can't see the files that you put in your fat32 partition under EFI/boot/, you probably picked the wrong partition. After you have added your new boot option, move that new boot option to the top of the boot order. Again, this will vary with different UEFI implementations. Then save and reboot.


... have anything to do with this ...

Quote:
Shim UEFI Key Management

Continue boot
enroll key from disk
Enroll hash from disk

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4367
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2013, 19:04    Post subject:  

Quote:

Generally on the boot tab you will find some way to add a new boot option.


Is this the same thing as the GRUB menu?

Quote:
GNU GRUB Version 2.00

Find /grub.cfg, /boot/grub.cfg, /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Manually specify location of grub.cfg to use
Shutdown
Reboot

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Meshworks


Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2013, 23:36    Post subject:  LHP64 602 B2 / NVIDIA 6150 DRIVERS
Subject description: Yep its me again!
 

Hi again Taz...

I've been running 513 all of this time and felt like trying to get current again!

Of course with my onboard NVIDIA 6150 I've hit a problem installing a driver capable of direct rendering for WoW and Compiz...

The available prebuilt driver doesn't include support for the 6150.

I pulled NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run from the nvidia site which includes 6 series support, and when i compile with getnvidia all seems to go ok with no errors... until i run anything GL related:

Code:

bash-4.1# glxinfo
glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32


When I compile the package without getnvidia eg:

Code:
  ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run


The compile goes almost to the end ... then complains about a bunch of files ... cannot create symlink file exists .... press ok to continue ... then the compilation finishes apparently ok ... but with above error when i run GL related software.

Code:

  5.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150] (rev a2) 
  oem: NVIDIA
  product: Crush50 Board - c51pv1 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg   Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.3



I had a similar problem with 5.13 which has been my main OS since release, but managed a work around for that, so tried compiling earlier drivers eg: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run --- However the compile complains 'Cannot find kernel sources' and gives up!

I'm sticking with 6.02 anyway... I still have my old 513 save files if i wanna play WoW but would like this fixed. Any ideas? I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Nvidia to add support for my outdated kit to the new drivers!

Only other problems I have (apart from the obvious!) are:
Gparted never manages to build a list of drives on my box... just keeps scanning. (workaround = use older version of gparted on different LHP release).
Firstsave wont allow me to select which of the partitions on my disk to place the save file! Always goes for sda3 despite plenty of room on sda1! (workaround = create savefile as required, boot clean, move savefile and sfs to desired partition and reboot).

Hope all is well with you. Keep on truckin'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2013, 23:58    Post subject: Re: LHP64 602 B2 / NVIDIA 6150 DRIVERS
Subject description: Yep its me again!
 

Meshworks wrote:
Hi again Taz...

I've been running 513 all of this time and felt like trying to get current again!

Of course with my onboard NVIDIA 6150 I've hit a problem installing a driver capable of direct rendering for WoW and Compiz...

The available prebuilt driver doesn't include support for the 6150.

I pulled NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run from the nvidia site which includes 6 series support, and when i compile with getnvidia all seems to go ok with no errors... until i run anything GL related:

Code:

bash-4.1# glxinfo
glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32


When I compile the package without getnvidia eg:

Code:
  ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run


The compile goes almost to the end ... then complains about a bunch of files ... cannot create symlink file exists .... press ok to continue ... then the compilation finishes apparently ok ... but with above error when i run GL related software.

Code:

  5.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150] (rev a2) 
  oem: NVIDIA
  product: Crush50 Board - c51pv1 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg   Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.3



I had a similar problem with 5.13 which has been my main OS since release, but managed a work around for that, so tried compiling earlier drivers eg: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run --- However the compile complains 'Cannot find kernel sources' and gives up!

I'm sticking with 6.02 anyway... I still have my old 513 save files if i wanna play WoW but would like this fixed. Any ideas? I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Nvidia to add support for my outdated kit to the new drivers!

Only other problems I have (apart from the obvious!) are:
Gparted never manages to build a list of drives on my box... just keeps scanning. (workaround = use older version of gparted on different LHP release).
Firstsave wont allow me to select which of the partitions on my disk to place the save file! Always goes for sda3 despite plenty of room on sda1! (workaround = create savefile as required, boot clean, move savefile and sfs to desired partition and reboot).

Hope all is well with you. Keep on truckin'.


The ELF class error is because you probably accidently clicked YES for installing the 32bit GL libs. (next time choose NO) Its an option in the RUN file.

The symlink errors usually occur when you try to re-install the nvidia.run package after its already created the symlinks.

Best option, create a new save file, then run the older .RUN file that you were using the first time, but make sure you do NOT select the 32bit compatibility. Dont run it with the get nvidia script. Its actually really easy to do on its own. Simply give the .run file executable permissions, exit X to shell, then sh NVIDIA-####.run
then just follow the prompts. when its done and you're back at shell... just type xorgwizard or xorgwizard-puppy and select the nvidia driver.
once you're in X you can tweak your settings with the nvidia-settings utility.
OH, and make sure you've blacklisted the Nouveau driver before doing any of this!
Any problems just let me know.

The symlink error is because you ar

_________________



My PC is for sale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2013, 00:01    Post subject:  

AwesomesaurusRex wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
Understanding that LH64 does not run native linux 32bit apps with any reliablilty, and understanding your need, this might help:
  1. VirtualBox
  2. KVM-QEMU
If you are not familiar with either, what they do is allow you to "boot" an additional PC (virtually) in the running LH64. When you boot the additional running PC within your lh64 you can start and run linux 32bit apps in that virtual PC while the LH64 is running its 64bit/Wine(windows) apps.


i have heard of virtualbox before. ive never heard of that 2nd one. from some googling it looks like virtualbox is completely separate from the rest of my system. its like its in its own little, box, for lack of a better word.
is there some way to make it work so I still have the ability to get to my files on the rest of my computer from inside the box?


I think what may work for you is to run something like Slacko in a Linux Container. However the only person I know here who's tinkering around with Linux Containers is JamesBond, so you might want to poke at him and see if he can point you in the right direction. You'll need a newer kernel, both he and I are both doing testing on the 3.9.4 kernel with LXC support.
If I get time this weekend, and my sister doesnt interrupt me too much, I'm going to see about building the 3.10 kernel with LXC support.

_________________



My PC is for sale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4367
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2013, 10:30    Post subject:  

I turned off CSM in BIOS

In Boot Manager I chose Boot from the EFI File

This brought up the File Explorer.

In file Explorer there were three choices:

NO VOLUME LABEL followed by a lot of stuff

lh64b2 (the volume label I gave the fat32 for LH64b2 boot) followed by a lot of stuff

NO VOLUME LABEL followed by a lot of stuff.

I selected lh64b2 which brought me to File Explorer:

Code:
<driver>
<EFI>
<keys>
<$RECYCLE.BIN>
Shellx64.efi


Being impatient ... I chose <EFI> which brought me to another File Explorer screen with:

Code:
<.>
<..>
<boot>


... so I chose <boot> which brought me to another File Explorer screen:

Code:
<.>
<..>
<drivers_x64>
<icons>
bootx64.efi
MokManager.efi
grubx64.efi


I chose grubx64.efi which brought me back to Shim EFI Management which brought me to the Boot Manager

I am obviously wasting my time and chasing my tail ... what do I need to do differently so that I am accomplishing something worthwhile, please?

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602

Last edited by edoc on Sat 06 Jul 2013, 10:57; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Meshworks


Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2013, 10:40    Post subject:  Re: LHP64 602 B2 / NVIDIA 6150 DRIVERS
Subject description: 32 bit compat for wine apps!
 

Hi Q! Thanks for taking the time to go thru this with me.

The NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run worked as far as it goes... but only if i select NOT to compile the 32 bit compat stuff.

Quote:
The ELF class error is because you probably accidently clicked YES for installing the 32bit GL libs. (next time choose NO) Its an option in the RUN file.


^^ agreed. Not a problem if you have no 32 bit apps !

Quote:

The symlink errors usually occur when you try to re-install the nvidia.run package after its already created the symlinks.


In this case the symlink errors occur on a clean install... but only when I 'accidentally' choose to install the 32 bit compat stuff!

Is there a workaround? I thought 'maybe replace the graphics card' ... tried both drivers on a machine with an 8200 card ... still leaves me sans 32 bit support. I've obviously missed something !

Edit:
Should I go back a few releases... 5.15F?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2013, 12:36    Post subject: Re: LHP64 602 B2 / NVIDIA 6150 DRIVERS
Subject description: 32 bit compat for wine apps!
 

Meshworks wrote:
Hi Q! Thanks for taking the time to go thru this with me.

The NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run worked as far as it goes... but only if i select NOT to compile the 32 bit compat stuff.

Quote:
The ELF class error is because you probably accidently clicked YES for installing the 32bit GL libs. (next time choose NO) Its an option in the RUN file.


^^ agreed. Not a problem if you have no 32 bit apps !

Quote:

The symlink errors usually occur when you try to re-install the nvidia.run package after its already created the symlinks.



Is there a workaround? I thought 'maybe replace the graphics card' ... tried both drivers on a machine with an 8200 card ... still leaves me sans 32 bit support. I've obviously missed something !

Edit:
Should I go back a few releases... 5.15F?


LHP 602 is not 32bit compatible. So you cant run 32bit apps right now, definitely none that need GL acceleration. Awesomesaurusrex asked previously about 32bit compatibility. Check TazOC's reply to her on that.
If you ABSOLUTELY need 32bit apps, but still want to use lighthouse, then you'll have to use the older 5.x series.
In this case the symlink errors occur on a clean install... but only when I 'accidentally' choose to install the 32 bit compat stuff!

_________________



My PC is for sale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dennis-slacko531


Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 103
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2013, 13:30    Post subject: Lighthouse started me cleaning my PC  

I've been moving onto these newer kernel pups, like Lighthouse & Barry's latest 13.04 Raring. Grub4dos has been a big help too. I've mirrored Lighthouse on my Godaddy server and provided a link below (and my bootscreen for fun). Razz

www.beok.com/lnux

880 x 660 (bootscreen --Smartphone picture)
www.beok.com/Downloads/bootscreen1.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4367
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2013, 13:56    Post subject: Re: Lighthouse started me cleaning my PC  

dennis-slacko531 wrote:
I've been moving onto these newer kernel pups, like Lighthouse & Barry's latest 13.04 Raring. Grub4dos has been a big help too. I've mirrored Lighthouse on my Godaddy server and provided a link below (and my bootscreen for fun). Razz

www.beok.com/lnux

880 x 660 (bootscreen --Smartphone picture)
www.beok.com/Downloads/bootscreen1.jpg


I'd sure appreciate any tips you could offer me.

I cannot get a menu to work to allow me to choose between Win7 & LH64b2 with UEFI.

Does your computer have UEFI or don't you have to deal with that mess?

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Sylvander

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 3426
Location: West Lothian, Scotland, UK

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2013, 14:47    Post subject:  

My fairly new PC [ASRock_H61M-S mobo] bought in 2012 has a UEFI BIOS, and gives me NO PROBLEMS.
This may be because the small shop I bought it from sold it without any OS [so Linux (or whatever) could be installed], and configured the BIOS accordingly.

If You wan't me to, I could search the BIOS configurations to see if I can spot the configuration that may be responsible for this trouble-free operation.

EXAMPLE:
1. If I need to boot a Puppy on a Flash Drive...
a. I must hit F11 before it attempts to boot the 1st partition on the internal HDD.
This partition holds a copy of the OS files for Win2000Pro but I've made no attempt to properly install it, and any boot attempt fails.
I've often failed to hit F11 quick enough and the attempt to boot Win2000Pro fails, and I must hold in the start button to improperly power off.

b. If I hit F11 in time, the UEFI BIOS asks which drive I want to boot.

c. If there is a Puppy optical disk in the drive...
The BIOS boots that as default...
I configured the BIOS that way.
So there is no need for me to do anything in that situation..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4367
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2013, 15:17    Post subject:  

My HP Pavilion g7 came with MS win8 - which I removed and replaced with a legal copy of win7.

I can easily boot LH64b2 from a CD/DVD or USB stick but Frugal is giving me fits.

The BIOS order is set for USB, then CD/DVD, then HDD and works fine that way.

I have been unable to get the UEFI/EFI menu to play nicely.

BAD Puppy! Sad

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jul 2013, 14:59    Post subject:  

edoc wrote:
Code:
<driver>
<EFI>
<keys>
<$RECYCLE.BIN>
Shellx64.efi
Being impatient ... I chose <EFI> which brought me to another File Explorer screen with:
Code:
<.>
<..>
<boot>
... so I chose <boot> which brought me to another File Explorer screen:
Code:
<.>
<..>
<drivers_x64>
<icons>
bootx64.efi
MokManager.efi
grubx64.efi
I chose grubx64.efi which...
Woops! You were so close... The last paragraph quoted in my earlier post had:
Quote:
EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
(not grubx64.efi.) Please try again. You've got a good machine there; my UEFI setup has no file explorer so I had to manually type in the path.
-TaZoC

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
edoc


Joined: 07 Aug 2005
Posts: 4367
Location: Southeast Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jul 2013, 15:46    Post subject:  

tazoc wrote:
edoc wrote:
Code:
<driver>
<EFI>
<keys>
<$RECYCLE.BIN>
Shellx64.efi
Being impatient ... I chose <EFI> which brought me to another File Explorer screen with:
Code:
<.>
<..>
<boot>
... so I chose <boot> which brought me to another File Explorer screen:
Code:
<.>
<..>
<drivers_x64>
<icons>
bootx64.efi
MokManager.efi
grubx64.efi
I chose grubx64.efi which...
Woops! You were so close... The last paragraph quoted in my earlier post had:
Quote:
EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
(not grubx64.efi.) Please try again. You've got a good machine there; my UEFI setup has no file explorer so I had to manually type in the path.
-TaZoC


I clicked on bootx64.efi it cycled me back to the Boot Manager window which took me back to the Shim UEFI then back to the Boot Manager window.

What am I missing, please?

_________________
Thanks! David
Home page: http://nevils-station.com
Don't google Search! http://duckduckgo.com
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jul 2013, 16:32    Post subject: 32-bit OS in LH64  

AwesomesaurusRex wrote:
tazoc wrote:
No, only Wine (windows apps) should be 32-bit, and only if the optional Wine SFS is loaded. Better to use a 32-bit OS if you need the older apps.
Are there any options for me to run 32bit stuff in LHP? I don't want to run any of the 32 bit releases, because I've had driver issues with them. LHP works great on my laptop. Can I take parts of the slacko release and add them into LHP?
I agree with gcmartin, you can install VirtualBox, then install your preferred 32-bit OS inside VB, e.g., Slacko. What I do is install the Devx-L64_602.sfs for LH64-602, then menu -> System -> Oracle VM VirtualBox Installer.

When it finishes I click the 'New' icon and choose 'Linux' -> click Next and follow the prompts. Before starting the new OS I click Settings -> Storage and select the 'Empty' Virtual CD/DVD under the 'IDE Controller' and add the ISO file for the OS I want to install. It will boot first from that virtual CD/DVD drive if I choose it in System - > Boot Order. Then start the new VM, and start Samba from the Network menu in both the host (LH64) and the guest (Slacko.) Then I use YASSM Samba Share Search in Slacko to connect to my Downloads folder in LH64, sharing files between the host and guest.
VirtualBoxSlacko.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   123.61 KB
 Viewed   210 Time(s)

VirtualBoxSlacko.jpg


_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 8 of 38 [560 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1441s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0121s) ][ GZIP on ]