Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LateAdopter

#301 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Snail

When you format media, a new filesystem is written, that's all. No existing data is intentionally erased.

The ISO root directory file entry could be left intact, when you format FAT16.

If you are interested in looking at what is on the media, iBored is a useful free sector editor. It has templates that decode common disk sectors into human readable text.

Snail

ISO USB

#302 Post by Snail »

Hi LateAdopter,

I did more than just reformat. I used GParted to delete the ISO partition and created a whole new partition the size of the device, then formatted. GParted recogised that there was something unusual about the stick and asked about creating a new partition table and I said go ahead. In spite of that it obviously didn't clear out everything. Probably I did something wrong again. Anyway I cleared out everything using

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4k conv=notrunc
and then ran GParted again and all is well now!

Clearly I would have been better to use the manual frugal install process I have usually used in the past, rather than the new HybridISO dd install, which I do not have sufficient documentation for.

killapup

FD64 621 not completing boot.

#303 Post by killapup »

G'day, I've been a happy and content Puppy user for quite a while now but recently came across fatdog and thought I'd give it a go. I've got a few different puppies installed on my laptop, Slacko being my main go-to puppy, love it!!

I downloaded FD 621 and burned it to a CD, put it in the drive and booted...

The start up found the vmlinuz and the initrd files, the second taking an awful lot of 'dots' to load before getting to the kernel booting part.

It got there, to the message 'Booting the Kernel:' and that's where it stopped. I left it for quite a while and tried a few of the different boot menu options to see if any of them would give a better result, but they all hung at the same point.

As far as I can tell, the CD burned ok, I even tried burning a second one at a slower speed, but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong and what I might be able to do to get it to boot? What boot options should I try? I'm not a overly experienced CL operator, I'm not afraid to use the command line but for more complicated operations I need a bit of guidance.

My system is an HP Compaq Presario V2000, AMD Turion64 1.8G processor with 512M RAM and radeon video cARD.

This is the first puppy derivative I've tried that hasn't booted on my system, although since trying FD I found one called Great Dane that also didn't boot, but that's another story. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful, thanks in anticipation.

gcmartin

RAM report on Computer page of Hardinfo utility

#304 Post by gcmartin »

Minor item for development
Hardinfo in FATDOG does not show RAM use on its Computer page (Hardinfo>Computer), yet Barry's Hardinfo does, as seen below.

Both the Raring version and the FATDOG version is reported the same in their Hardinfo>Help>About screens.

Is this an issue of Hardinfo code, LInux kernel, or one of Motherboards?

This is a NON-critical issue.

Here to help
Attachments
capture28441.png
Barry's Alpha2 beta shows RAM
(52.11 KiB) Downloaded 478 times

chapchap70

Re: FD64 621 not completing boot.

#305 Post by chapchap70 »

killapup wrote:G'day, I've been a happy and content Puppy user for quite a while now but recently came across fatdog and thought I'd give it a go. I've got a few different puppies installed on my laptop, Slacko being my main go-to puppy, love it!!

I downloaded FD 621 and burned it to a CD, put it in the drive and booted...

The start up found the vmlinuz and the initrd files, the second taking an awful lot of 'dots' to load before getting to the kernel booting part.

It got there, to the message 'Booting the Kernel:' and that's where it stopped. I left it for quite a while and tried a few of the different boot menu options to see if any of them would give a better result, but they all hung at the same point.

As far as I can tell, the CD burned ok, I even tried burning a second one at a slower speed, but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong and what I might be able to do to get it to boot? What boot options should I try? I'm not a overly experienced CL operator, I'm not afraid to use the command line but for more complicated operations I need a bit of guidance.

My system is an HP Compaq Presario V2000, AMD Turion64 1.8G processor with 512M RAM and radeon video cARD.

This is the first puppy derivative I've tried that hasn't booted on my system, although since trying FD I found one called Great Dane that also didn't boot, but that's another story. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful, thanks in anticipation.

It seems you have an old laptop that doesn't have enough RAM? It is my understanding that when FatDog decompresses, it uses around 700M RAM.

chapchap70

Virtual Machine

#306 Post by chapchap70 »

Has anyone tried the VirtualBox 2.4 SFS?

I think the kernel is different in 610 so the module won't load in 621. I did not see a VirtualBox 621 SFS so I tried 610. Unless there is something simple I could do, I am thinking I would have to use FatDog 610 so it would load the correct kernel module for VBox.

Makefile:181: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
Last edited by chapchap70 on Mon 01 Jul 2013, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

chapchap70

Working Now So Far!!!

#307 Post by chapchap70 »

From the Control Panel, (System) I downloaded kernel-source-3.8.7.sfs after I had previously downloaded fd64-devx_620.sfs and loaded them.

I have been only able to open VirtualBox from within the terminal so I did this again and got the same error I had been getting.
The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module available for the current kernel (3.8.7) or it failed to
load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
So I ran the command and that did it!!
# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.

Now I am able to open VirtualBox from X in the System Tools and it is working. I thought this was above what I was capable of (even though it seems I simply ran a compile program).

Thanks to whoever put the kernel-source sfs in there.
Last edited by chapchap70 on Mon 01 Jul 2013, 00:05, edited 2 times in total.

Q5sys

Re: RAM report on Computer page of Hardinfo utility

#308 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Minor item for development
Hardinfo in FATDOG does not show RAM use on its Computer page (Hardinfo>Computer), yet Barry's Hardinfo does, as seen below.

Both the Raring version and the FATDOG version is reported the same in their Hardinfo>Help>About screens.

Is this an issue of Hardinfo code, LInux kernel, or one of Motherboards?

This is a NON-critical issue.

Here to help
../hardinfo-0.5.1/computer.h

make sure that AFTER the

struct _OperatingSystem { * };
section you have the following

struct _MemoryInfo {
    gint total, used, free, cached;
    gfloat ratio;
};
then recompile

chapchap70 wrote:Has anyone tried the VirtualBox 2.4 SFS?

I think the kernel is different in 610 so the module won't load in 621. I did not see a VirtualBox 621 SFS so I tried 610. Unless there is something simple I could do, I am thinking I would have to use FatDog 610 so it would load the correct kernel module for VBox.

Makefile:181: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
Somewhere in the forum there is a script someone wrote to automatically download and install the latest Vbox version. I forget who wrote it.

chapchap70

#309 Post by chapchap70 »

Somewhere in the forum there is a script someone wrote to automatically download and install the latest Vbox version. I forget who wrote it.

I think we were posting at about the same time. I guess that would have been easier but I am learning. Thanks.

Q5sys

#310 Post by Q5sys »

chapchap70 wrote:
I think we were posting at about the same time. I guess that would have been easier but I am learning. Thanks.
Yea it looks that way. lol I'll see if I can find it. If you're wanting to learn... reading how the shell script is written will help you understand what needs to take place for virtualbox to load install and load properly.

EDIT:
Here is the install script from LightHousePup, which TazOC modified from what JamesBond wrote.
http://paste2.org/tZ7adcm4

killapup

Re: FD64 621 not completing boot.

#311 Post by killapup »

chapchap70 wrote:It seems you have an old laptop that doesn't have enough RAM? It is my understanding that when FatDog decompresses, it uses around 700M RAM.
Hey thanks, chapchap, I wasn't sure if that would be the problem but it makes sense, I guess. I suppose the next question is 'does this mean that just adding more ram (obviously the more the better) fix the problem?' or is it the rest of the hardware as well?? I have thought of getting more ram for it prior to this but maybe this will be the catalyst to do so.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback,

Puppy rocks!!!

chapchap70

#312 Post by chapchap70 »

Hi killapup

FatDog was designed for 64 bit computers with lots of RAM. From what I've been told, 4Gigs and up runs noticeably faster than the 32 bit computers/OS'es.

I can't say whether more RAM will make yours work but I am running FatDog on a netbook with only 1 gig of RAM. I like FatDog but it is no faster than Slacko or Lucid on my netbook. I don't know how much extra RAM would cost for your laptop but my netbook cost me $200.
-Computer-
Processor : 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2600 @ 1.60GHz
Memory : 1008MB (537MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Fatdog64 [bdfd4da875]
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon Jul 1 07:44:08 2013
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.0, 128 bits)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Sleep Button
Lid Switch
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
PC Speaker
ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad
Video Bus
Acer WMI hotkeys
Acer BMA150 accelerometer
WebCam
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA TOSHIBA MK3259GS

tlchost

Pidgin Problems

#313 Post by tlchost »

I'm using a bootable USB configuration and notice that unlike most puppies, I can not move pidgin's .purple directory our of the save file area to /mnt/home and use a sym link.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Thom

killapup

#314 Post by killapup »

Thanks again chapchap,

I think to put mine at 1G it was only going to cost about $30 but that was a little while ago and I may not be remembering correctly??? Anyway, I'll consider what I'll do and see if I feel its worth going that way.

Ok cheers, and thanks again.

kirk

#315 Post by kirk »

killapup,

You can try booting with pfix=nox and see if it boots to a prompt. I haven't tested with less than 1Gb of RAM, but I would guess 512MB might work. The system will use about 210MB of RAM for storing the kernel and SFS file. Of course you still need RAM to actually run things, it would be tight. We do consider 1G the minimum to run X.

tlchost,

You would probably need to run Pidgin as the root user to do that. It normally is ran by user spot in Fatdog64. Unless your usb drive is formatted with a Linux filesystem and you make sure that spot still owns the .purple file after you copy it, it will not work with spot running it. You can edit /usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop and change:

Exec=pidgin-spot

to

Exec=pidgin

killapup

#316 Post by killapup »

kirk wrote:killapup,

You can try booting with pfix=nox and see if it boots to a prompt. I haven't tested with less than 1Gb of RAM, but I would guess 512MB might work. The system will use about 210MB of RAM for storing the kernel and SFS file. Of course you still need RAM to actually run things, it would be tight. We do consider 1G the minimum to run X.

tlchost,

You would probably need to run Pidgin as the root user to do that. It normally is ran by user spot in Fatdog64. Unless your usb drive is formatted with a Linux filesystem and you make sure that spot still owns the .purple file after you copy it, it will not work with spot running it. You can edit /usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop and change:

Exec=pidgin-spot

to

Exec=pidgin
Thanks, kirk, I'll give that a go some time, cheers.
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM
Also VectorLinux64 plus many others :D

tlchost

#317 Post by tlchost »

kirk wrote: tlchost,

You would probably need to run Pidgin as the root user to do that.......
You can edit /usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop and change:

Exec=pidgin-spot
to
Exec=pidgin
Thanks...that did the trick.

Is there a list of applications that have been set up to run only as spot?

Also, is there a way to NOT write to the save file at shutdown? Not only would that minimize writes to the USB drive, but also save one from saving a mistake made(I make mistakes all the time).

In order to efficiently have multiple puppies on the same usb drive, how can I keep the 64 bit sfs files in an area other than /mnt/home and be able to mount them?

Thanks,

Thom

chapchap70

#318 Post by chapchap70 »

tlchost wrote:Is there a list of applications that have been set up to run only as spot?

Also, is there a way to NOT write to the save file at shutdown? Not only would that minimize writes to the USB drive, but also save one from saving a mistake made(I make mistakes all the time).

In order to efficiently have multiple puppies on the same usb drive, how can I keep the 64 bit sfs files in an area other than /mnt/home and be able to mount them?

Thanks,

Thom
I can only answer question 1. The web browser is set to run as Spot. I got Firefox and Thunderbird and set them up in Spot. You can drag and drop an icon into the "Edit" icon and see if it has the "-spot" in the "Exec" line if you want to see if any more are run as spot but I don't think so.

Edit: You can try Control Panel, System, double click on Manage Servers and Services, then uncheck the ram-save Running tab. My system is frugal installed and the "Start at Boot" tab is checked but the "Running" tab is not.

killapup

No go with nox!!!

#319 Post by killapup »

Hey kirk,

I tried FD with pfix=nox as you suggested but it still won't boot the kernel. But never mind, I'll give it a go if and when I get more ram.

Thanks again for your help,

Ray
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM
Also VectorLinux64 plus many others :D

jamesbond

#320 Post by jamesbond »

tlchost wrote: Is there a list of applications that have been set up to run only as spot?

grep spot /usr/share/applications/*
Enable the RAM layer, then:
1. Disable the ram-save service (as others have pointed out), or
2. Go to Event Manager and change save interval to zero.
It can be anywhere. Load them with System SFS Loader (choose folder, the click refresh button) and tick the 'load at boot' checkbox when you do.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]