Legacy OS 2 & 4 are you a User? Who am I developing for?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Colonel Panic

#61 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm running it too! The only things I couldn't find were a good xkill for it (there's one for the 4.31 series Pups but not the 4.21 ones), and the Karamba themes package; the link seems to have disappeared.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Kreator

#62 Post by Kreator »

Hi John.

Here is my story:
I ask my friends to not throw their old computers to the garbage, and to give them to me instead. I restore those old computers, and give them to people who don't want to invest money in computers, and use these computers for simple tasks like: a little internet browsing, some word and excel documents, some pictures or movies watching. So, no heavy load on them.

The latest experince, who made me discover LEGACY OS is this one:
Somebody gived me an old computer having the following hardware:

Motherboard: PCCHIPS M852 Rev 1.0 (www.pcchipsusa.com)

Processor: AMD SEMPRON 2600+; 1833 MHz

Video Card: GEFORCE FX5200; 128 Mb RAM

RAM Memory: 768 Mb

Before discovering LEGACY OS 4.0 Mini, I have tried a dozen or more light Linux distributions on that system, no one worked normally on that desktop.

Some of them didn't even boot on live DVD (Bodhi, Anti X for example).

Others were running, but with “problems
Last edited by Kreator on Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#63 Post by cthisbear »

Kreator .

Welcome to Puppy mate.

John is really a bit of an unsung Puppy hero.

His creations have been downloaded in the multi thousands.

Not bad for a one man band.

"""""""

eg: Softpedia alone

Legacy OS 2 >>> Downloads: 92,349

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 1563.shtml

Regards....Chris.

R-S-H

#64 Post by R-S-H »

Puppy 5.4 had an issue: the start menu was there, it opened, but the text of the buttons was missing.
Use boot option: nouveau.noaccel=1. This should "fix" that issue.

I did have the same problem here in several Puppies (have also GeForce FX5200/XFX 6200 Graphics Cards) - it's gone now!
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

Kreator

#65 Post by Kreator »

Thanks R-S-H.

I will try this next time it happens.

Colonel Panic

#66 Post by Colonel Panic »

I also had a problem with X Org breaking and xorgwizard not working as a fix for it (it kept dumping me back at the prompt). It's not just Legacy OS4 Mini that has this problem in my experience; a lot of pre-5 series Pups do.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Kreator

#67 Post by Kreator »

Hi everybody.

As I said, I will try to install Legacy OS on the "old" computers that I try to restore.

Today another "old" desktop has received Legacy OS 4 Mini.

The hardware of this desktop:

Motherboard: MATSONIC MS 9147C Rev 5.0

Processor: Intel Pentium 4, 2,4 GHz

Video card: ATI Radeon R 9550GU2

Hard Disk Drive: 40 Gb

Legacy OS works like a charm on this PC!

A nice day to you all!

john biles

#68 Post by john biles »

Hello Kreator,
Always great to hear someone is having luck with Legacy OS. Currently an update of Legacy OS 4 Mini is under way and will move to a full CD. It's coming along nicely look out for it in the next month or so. Also an update to Legacy OS 2 is almost complete and is expected to be released soon.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

umair

#69 Post by umair »

john biles wrote:Hello Kreator,
Always great to hear someone is having luck with Legacy OS. Currently an update of Legacy OS 4 Mini is under way and will move to a full CD. It's coming along nicely look out for it in the next month or so. Also an update to Legacy OS 2 is almost complete and is expected to be released soon.
Hi Jone, Nice to know that the updates of Legacy OS 4 and Legacy OS 2 will be available for download soon. Best of luck ;-)
UMAIR

Kreator

#70 Post by Kreator »

Hi John.

I am downloading now Legacy OS 2.1 Gamer, and I will try it on one old desktop.

About the detail in the description that I read about Legacy OS 2.1 Gamer about:

"As Legacy OS is a free download all you have to lose is one blank CD"

Well.... I personally have a collection of 21 rewritable DVD's and CD's.

I use them especially for testing various Linux distributions.

I also have few of them written with PartedMagic or Grub Repair...

So, if someone really want to try Linux distributions to see if they worth or not, and do not want to spend not even a blank DVD, they can buy two or three rewritable DVD's and CD's, so they don't loose anything by trying ...

Kreator

#71 Post by Kreator »

R-S-H wrote:
Puppy 5.4 had an issue: the start menu was there, it opened, but the text of the buttons was missing.
Use boot option: nouveau.noaccel=1. This should "fix" that issue.

I did have the same problem here in several Puppies (have also GeForce FX5200/XFX 6200 Graphics Cards) - it's gone now!

Thanks a lot R-S-H!

I have tried to follow you advice and it is working!

It is working when I type nouveau.noaccel=1 at the beginning, when grub loads, and I can choose what distribution should start, and I add this...

I have to type this everytime that I boot....

Is it a way to make it permanent?

If yes, what is the solution?

I have tried to add this in:

/boot/grub/menu.lst

at the end of the line with the kernel:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 pmedia=atahd nouveau.noaccel=1

but it doesn't work, it boot with the same "problem".

It works only if I type everytime at boot .....

Pelo

tellico sources

#72 Post by Pelo »

Sources : only one find something (books collection). I think that i must modify pathes.
I am using Legacy OS mounted on Racy 5.3 to make wireless connection available. That is OK. And of some interest !

Pelo

Video 'Tellico' from Legacy OS

#73 Post by Pelo »

Video 'Tellico' from Legacy OS : click on Tellico here below

Tellico

Knine

Legacy OS rocks.

#74 Post by Knine »

Had a chance to dl the latest LOS4mini and the LOS2.1gamer versions recently to usb and I have high hopes for both as the main OS for an old samsung netbook that was recently given to me. i plan to remove the preinstalled windows system with either of these puppies (or both) and give it to my daughter for school and general web browsing. Both ran smooth and snappy on my trusty T40 so far without one complaint. I love the included retro games and conky is always nice eye-candy. I hope the results are the same on the samsung netbook. Keep up the great work on Legacy. Cheers.
Last edited by Knine on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#75 Post by Colonel Panic »

Two more problems with Legacy 2.1 unfortunately. I'm still finding it hard to get Flash working in the browser; I prefer either Legacy OS2 or Teenpup 2008 (which I'm using now) if I want to hear music videos. The last couple of times I tried it, it wouldn't play videos in Opera at all (unlike OS2, which does play them).

Also, is there a reason why I can use Mozilla browsers in some of the earlier Teenpups. but not in Legacy OS2 or 2.1, when they're both based on Puppy 2.14? Both Firefox and Seamonkey segfault in Legacy OS2 and OS 2.1 whenever I've tried to use them.

I shouldn't really complain at all since it's great that I'm still able to use a thirteen year old computer in 2014, and either Teenpup or Legacy OS2 is sufficient to do pretty much everything I want.

Pelo

I keep Legacy OS 2 written in a pendrive

#76 Post by Pelo »

I keep Legacy OS 2 written in a pendrive. It's a very nice distro with a lot of KDE applications included. But it's a big Puppy. For me 250MB should be the maximum size, to permit running full in RAM.
Quite everything in KDE is available with same quality in 'standard' puppies.
It should remain in Legacy OS only KDE applications with no equivalent in standard puppies. One browser is enough, one text maker, one spreadsheet and so on...