BIOS Log when accessing through USB

For discussions about security.
puppyfan82

BIOS Log when accessing through USB

#1 Post by puppyfan82 »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask my question, but posting here anyway.

I have a laptop provided at work (Dell Latitude 6410) with Windows 7 installed. I'm planning to install puppy onto a USB and use this laptop for personal use, when at home. Two reasons.

1. prevent infecting the host OS with any virus
2. prevent any monitoring (if any) while doing personal work.

Are there any logs stored in BIOS or anywhere else by which IT of my company would know about booting from USB? Please note that I'm not into any nefarious activities, but don't want the IT to think otherwise :D

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

More importantly, has your IT department locked down the BIOS so it cannot boot from USB?

puppyfan82

#3 Post by puppyfan82 »

No, BIOS is not even password protected. I'm just worried about the logs. Some BIOS does have 'System Log' or 'Event Log' maintained. But I'm unsure if events like booting from USB are also captured.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Why jeopardize your job by messing with this laptop? The world is full of used computers that will run Puppy.

puppyfan82

#5 Post by puppyfan82 »

Thank you. Probably, that would be the wise thing to do.

amigo

#6 Post by amigo »

The BIOS doesn't create any logs -it doesn't even know anything about filesystems. It does look for partitions which begin with code that is executable by the hardware and then turns over execution to that location.

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

My Dell computers maintain logs about fan failure, chassis intrusions , keyboard failure and few more occurrences .

Barkin

Re: BIOS Log when accessing through USB

#8 Post by Barkin »

puppyfan82 wrote:1. prevent infecting the host OS with any virus
It's incorrect to think Windows OS is hosting Puppy Linux in that configuration. Windows OS is not operating in that particular set up.
puppyfan82 wrote:2. prevent any monitoring (if any) while doing personal work.
If you view a webpage on your work computer whilst at work, but using Puppy Linux OS on a USB, that internet traffic could be monitored by your work-place internet provider.