musher0

#21 Post by musher0 »

Thanks Barkin for the references.

Installing the AdBlockPlus extension in opera instantly reduced the number
of connections. But now I have 1 listing less in lsof than I have tabs in
opera...

All this is still a bit mysterious...

nooby said:
> Then we have those that intercept and redirect to faked sites.
It's called "phishing", and opera has a parameter you can activate to detect
that (I don't know if the Mozilla browsers have the same. Probably.)

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#22 Post by musher0 »

Hello, again, all.

I know that using a good hosts file can increase security.
For ex., the MVPS HOSTS file from
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

How about the hosts.allow and hosts.deny file in /etc?
Can they also be used to increase security? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Barkin

#23 Post by Barkin »

musher0 wrote:How about the hosts.allow and hosts.deny file in /etc?
Can they also be used to increase security? If so, how?
The MVPS HOSTS file performs the same function as AdBlockPlus, however AdBlockPlus has the advantage that its blacklist ("filter subscripions") is automatically updated weekly.

NB: Having a very large hosts file can slow down browsing.

NoScript uses a white-list rather than a blacklist: no script (geddit), runs without your consent, a whitelist is quicker and safer than a blacklist. IIRC NoScript is only available for Firefox & seamonkey.

Teh Agnostic Anarco

#24 Post by Teh Agnostic Anarco »

8-bit wrote:Another thing to think of is that you may have been part of the many that the NSA is spying/monitoring.
And if it was not for Edward Snowden bringing it to light, we may have not known.
The NSA also seems to be in a hurry to silence him as they are unsure of additional information he may have.

And you are not necessarily being spied on by the NSA.
They may have contracted others to do the spying.
Also, it is not just phone conversations, it could be looking at what you do on the net as to where you go and what you do.

But any spying on correspondence in whatever country without any form of warrant, is just plain wrong.

As a for instance, lets say that I was interested in the technology of the new printers that can make human body parts or firearms and investigate how to do it as well as download some free plans for making something with a printer.
Will this flag me as a possible "Enemy of the State" to be monitored as to where I go and what I do as well as tapping my phone calls and web activity?

In all of this, I am not singling out any country or nation.
Just imagine if I was considered a risk and was targeted for removal with a drone?

At what point do we say enough is enough?
Correct, but the Snowden part might be the biggest "conspiracy" yet, I read somewhere that the same 2 guys that were publishing Snows documents who one happens to be ebay founder, and the other is now funding the western ukrainian nazi nationalists..... Something is not right... And if you think about it, what did Snow really "reveal" to the world? REallly what did he? That spy agencies spy? Ohh really? Is that supposed to be a new paradigm shift for everyone or was that now common knowledege anyways?