Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 18:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Puppylinux on Phone/Tablets: the definitive thread
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 5 of 5 [73 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
greengeek

Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 2596
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun 2013, 22:17    Post subject:  

Just throwing in a couple of quotes from Ted Dog on another thread:

Quote:
here is a link to an little linux distro running as an app on android.

http://j05hyyy.blogspot.com/2012_09_01_archive.html

and
Quote:
also ubuntu as a android ap

http://androlinux.com/android-ubuntu-development/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-android/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1073

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun 2013, 22:42    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Just throwing in a couple of quotes from Ted Dog on another thread:

Quote:
here is a link to an little linux distro running as an app on android.

http://j05hyyy.blogspot.com/2012_09_01_archive.html

and
Quote:
also ubuntu as a android ap

http://androlinux.com/android-ubuntu-development/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-android/


Chrooting doesnt get you much though. You've been able to run debian on Android since like 2009. My original HTC Google phone has debian on it. But it only allows you to run Debian command line Apps from terminal.

In fact you can chroot most normal linux distros into Android. Because all you are doing is chrooting. My current Android Phone has Arch Chrooted.

The over head from running a full linux install chrooted on Android and then connecting into it via VNC is atrocious. When I do it on my phone, my battery life goes from 90% to 20% in about 15/20 minutes. Not to mention that it heats up alot.

For us though, this does nothing to put Puppy on a Phone. You'd be better off chrooting, say Debian, and then lauching the debian version of seamonkey.

You cant chroot Puppy on Android though due to our use of AUFS. Well You 'might' be able to if you'd custom patch and then compile your own android kernel.


thanks for posting that in this thread though. What thread is that from? I'm interested to read the other posts.

_________________



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
greengeek

Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 2596
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jun 2013, 02:11    Post subject:  

From the pupngo2012 thread:

http://mail.murga-projects.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78941&start=309
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1073

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jun 2013, 08:16    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
From the pupngo2012 thread:

http://mail.murga-projects.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78941&start=309


Thanks.

_________________



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Jake

Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 14:17    Post subject: Puppylinux on Phone/Tablets: the definitive thread
Subject description: Puppy replaces android
 

Just so yall know where I'm coming from: there are three evil enities on the WWW-- MSFT, GOOG, & FB. None of which I use much, & ususally not at all [goog & fb not at all]. Puppy user since 98' maybe earlier. All my computers have at least three vers of Pups, Lucid, Slacko, & MacPup. I like Pups because they are simple, efficient, quick OSes, and I can use them to beat MSFT oses into submission and comply with my desires. Not gonna write about mphones, because they are an offense to all and I don't own one [FYI, an offense because people use them in public as if they were privately at home].

I bought a Blackberry Playbook & an Archos device to play with, since they are not computers in my opinion. In one sense they are spy devices for BB & Goog; goog because although there are many manufacturers, goog holds nearly all the cards [and has nearly accomplished what MSFT always wanted--my gmail @ googisonefascistbidness, which they let me have, and I'll never check]. The BB is the much better device as it almost does everything a real computer can do without having to buy APPs. APPs are another statement that tablets, android devices in particular, are not real computers with a real OS; to play DVD media you MUST buy a cinema plug in device--15 euros. After I root the Archos it should behave more as a true OS, or a brick.

From what I understand the Linux Kernel has had tablet functions built in since around 2.8, so that means Puppy and many Pups have the capability to run tablets [correct if wrong].

I want Puppy on a tablet so it's just like my Puppies on net/lap/desktop computers. I want to use Opera, not Opera mini, Geaney, Abi-Word, mplayer or VLC just as I would in a Puppy. Puppy uses less mem than both android [4.0.3] and the BB OS. Android recognizes nerdsticks and sd cards, my Playbook does not--some do.

I want to stop BB or Goog from spying on me. I want the OS of my choice. Those are the main reasons I want Puppy on a tablet.

I have read a post somewhere that stated: rooted and installed Puppy to my Toshiba Thrive; now I've got a real computer. Well, it's either true or not. Knowing the Puppy and Linux crowd, it's prolly true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1073

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 16:46    Post subject: Re: Puppylinux on Phone/Tablets: the definitive thread
Subject description: Puppy replaces android
 

Jake wrote:
Just so yall know where I'm coming from: there are three evil enities on the WWW-- MSFT, GOOG, & FB. None of which I use much, & ususally not at all [goog & fb not at all]. Puppy user since 98' maybe earlier. All my computers have at least three vers of Pups, Lucid, Slacko, & MacPup. I like Pups because they are simple, efficient, quick OSes, and I can use them to beat MSFT oses into submission and comply with my desires. Not gonna write about mphones, because they are an offense to all and I don't own one [FYI, an offense because people use them in public as if they were privately at home].

I bought a Blackberry Playbook & an Archos device to play with, since they are not computers in my opinion. In one sense they are spy devices for BB & Goog; goog because although there are many manufacturers, goog holds nearly all the cards [and has nearly accomplished what MSFT always wanted--my gmail @ googisonefascistbidness, which they let me have, and I'll never check]. The BB is the much better device as it almost does everything a real computer can do without having to buy APPs. APPs are another statement that tablets, android devices in particular, are not real computers with a real OS; to play DVD media you MUST buy a cinema plug in device--15 euros. After I root the Archos it should behave more as a true OS, or a brick.

From what I understand the Linux Kernel has had tablet functions built in since around 2.8, so that means Puppy and many Pups have the capability to run tablets [correct if wrong].

I want Puppy on a tablet so it's just like my Puppies on net/lap/desktop computers. I want to use Opera, not Opera mini, Geaney, Abi-Word, mplayer or VLC just as I would in a Puppy. Puppy uses less mem than both android [4.0.3] and the BB OS. Android recognizes nerdsticks and sd cards, my Playbook does not--some do.

I want to stop BB or Goog from spying on me. I want the OS of my choice. Those are the main reasons I want Puppy on a tablet.

I have read a post somewhere that stated: rooted and installed Puppy to my Toshiba Thrive; now I've got a real computer. Well, it's either true or not. Knowing the Puppy and Linux crowd, it's prolly true.


Tablets are fundamentally a different world than PCs. For one there is no standard hardware spec to base a release off of.

Could Puppy be ported to a tablet? Absolutely. What would it require? A complete compiling of EVERYTHING in the system. Its not just flashing an existing Puppy to a tablet, you'd have to manually rebuild every single part of the system. Just compiling time alone will run you weeks. Someone could with ALOT of time and effort compile Puppy or any Linux OS to run on a specific tablet, but that does not mean it'll work on any other tablet. It means it'll work on THAT tablet.
It also means that you'll need to compile all the software you want to run yourself, possibly requiring you to tweak the source to make it work.
It also does not mean you'll get your typical tablet style interface that you'd want. It wont have touch capability beyond point and click; since the applications arent programmed for touch input. But if you like using your finger as a mouse... have fun, well right up until you need to right click and drag. lol


The biggest hurdle is the hardware problem. ARM6 soft float, vs ARM6 hard float. ARM6 vs ARM7. Not to mention ARM vs Atom. Or ARM vs VIA vs Tegra.
Until the industry starts to work off a single system, its going to be an uphill battle to try to get a single linux distro to work on multiple tablets.

Could someone do it, yes. Do I think its worth it? No. Will someone probably do it? You can count on it.

I still dont personally see any advantages over using a convertable notebook like the Lenovo Yoga But that's just me.


As for puppy and the Toshiba Thrive... the only thing I've found about it is a post from 2012 which went unanswered. http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-development/10943-puppy-linux-thrive.html

_________________



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
pupfiend

Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 00:14    Post subject: Re: Puppylinux on Phone/Tablets: the definitive thread
Subject description: lets hope nobody has a temper tantrum and gets it deleted.
 

Q5sys wrote:


Myth: 'The market is changing', and we must join in that change or we will be left out in the cold.


your answer is the problem. exclusivity. I recommend puppy to people all the time. your dismissive assessment of end users strikes me as defeatism and generalisation.
puppy has a great place on mobile devices and in fact, due to its size couldn't be better placed.
protip: people don't use what they don't know about.

you are also leaving out a major factor at the moment : google's implication in the NSA scandal and various scandals before it involving them hiding spyware even in apple's OS (they got fined 22 million dollars for it).

there's more to just showing what seems to me to be a contempt for end users and their use. there are 7 billion people in the world and I don't think anyone can predict what they'd do with tech. a light OS like puppy has been designed in a way that would marry with portable devices really well.

over the years I've noticed a clique mentality in the linux community generally. I once tried to tell them, as a musician, that making 50,000 mp3 players and ONE multitrack audio recording program is just plain silly. repeating the same apps over and over again and ignoring the need. that's one of the variables that the community doesn't take in. I got told off for my troubles. Interesting that the devs can think what they want is more important and relevant than the people they want to use the OS.. or was it just made for devs? Funny. i got a different impression. i remember when the first GUI versions came out to 'replace windows' .. well windows' main claims to fame are:

easy to use
loads of DIFFERENT free apps

Myth: "Desktops/Laptops are going away in favor of Mobile devices"

they're certainly being influenced them. i have a desktop i rarely use now. i repaired them for years and sure they're easier to fix than laptops but laptops don't chain you to a desk and make you fat from inactivity. latptops can move with you and now the tablets and laptops are becoming lighter, leaner, more powerful and cheaper (i pick up heaps on the side of the road that would have cost a bomb back in the day. using one now and it's fine!)

i like the tablet idea. i'm a muso as i said and instead of carrying around books of lyrics for my songs (i've written so many i need a case full of books) i can have a stand (they make them you know) for a tablet and just tap up a song that is PERFECTLY lit for me to read, unlike balancing a torch on stage.

an entire symphony orchestra has just replaced paper notes with them because they can bluetooth or wifi the score to the entire orchestra in one go and even turn the pages for them.
this stuff applies to lecture notes as well, tutorial information that can be sent to a projector for students to see on screen as the lecturer's looking at it from the lectern... and he / she can send relevant files straight to the tablet the student's using.

but you see you don't seem to see that. you have your own uses for tech and seem to think everyone else is the same as you. we're not. so why are you deciding a devices usefulness for us when you don't know us? (playing the devil's advocate in this thread because it seems to be necessary from my experience)

the tablet is a small device, easy to use and convenient to carry. i didn't like them when they first came out (like a lot of people) as i thought they were a bulky mess that would have limited use. but guess what... i was WRONG! .. it's a sign of maturity to have the ability to be wrong and admit it. and i'm confident in what i say because i have experience and have tried one.

in a few areas the tablet WILL replace the IBM and mac PC.

and it's a GOOD thing.
it gets people off the chair and actually out in the world .. outside!

sure they won't do absolutely everything a desktop will do.. so who said they would or should? but they're certainly making a dent and puppy would be FOOLISH to get all snobby and snooty because a few hipster kids are flip with their use of them.

Myth: "Tablets are more useful, and easier to use."

see previous. for some applications YES THEY ARE!
and i'm only one person telling you my uses for them.
as for the person saying "maybe your problem is you treat them like more than a toy... wow! that's really patronising!" read what i just wrote. they're NOT a toy to a lot of people.
this is a demonstration of the snobbery i see in the linux community.
like some exclusive little of club where people can feel superior to others because they've got a little secret. that's pretty sad really.
you forget the objective of linux in the first place... giving MORE people MORE freedom than evil bill gates wanted you to have ... funny how that's no longer in the mix!!

also your 'myth' was poorly worded... and loaded.
as is your next one, hysterical to devalue the argument. a standard tactic and a weak one.

Myth: "If Puppy doesn't jump on the mobile wave, we will die"

you talk about FUD then use it yourself. a bit hypocritical don't you think?
after all you were the one who just framed that 'myth'.
if puppy doesn't jump on the mobile wave it will miss a great opportunity it seems tailor made (irony) to join.. it's a light weight operating system that can be run live, from USB or from other media... sorry but where is this NOT great placement for an operating system to be inserted into devices that are lean and mean on drive real estate?????

using catastrophic language to demean other peoples' arguments is pretty childish. it's a valid point that puppy is a fantastic operating system... with its faults but certainly wipes its orris on any other variant i've tried.. and i've tried MANY .. going all the way back to SCO XENIX 3.0 (think i still have it on 5.25 floppies and all the manuals).

for crying out loud android IS a linux based operating system but it's controlled by a company even WORSE than microsoft... GOOGLE! who've SHOWN they can't be trusted and are given free reign over the data of anyone in the world who uses a computer. .. a corporation having that much control isn't for me.

didn't we learn from standard oil? .. then microsoft?.. apparently not!
puppy has an UNIQUE positioning in the world where it could explode in popularity if you get over the 'secret little club' mentality. and don't tell me it's not rife in the linux clique because i've been observing it for years.

Myth: "Puppy is perfect for the mobile space."

fact: puppy was and is designed for MANY types of hardware. i don't remember it being compulsory to have a .386 with no coprocessor to run puppy.. this is only your own bias speaking.

i run it on the latest equipment and have done so whenever new gear comes out. i used it on a brand new netbook when my ISP supplied some sloppy windows crippleware OS that ran like a cow on mandrax.
i slipped in the USB dongle with the OS on a MSD chip and it ran like a gazelle on meth.

stop making these assumptions that you know every use by every user on every bit of their tech. you don't. and attitudes like this undermine the value of the operating system.

you also throw up your hands and say "oh well mozilla's taking it all over" (to paraphrase) .. no .. it ISN'T .. but it WILL if you have that attitude.

oh and guess who mozilla's hand in glove with... .GOOGLE!
call me a conspiracy nut but why has firefox taken over 15 versions NOT to fix their massive memory leaks? ..hmmm ... what's that all about.. nice little well BIG pocket of mystery usage there. and google as the default browser? ... remember google's chrome browser? being caught AGAIN sucking up peoples' data?

(and if you don't think privacy's important give me all your banking information, where you live and when you're NOT home .. honest i won't abuse it.. you can trust me.. i'm from the internet... get the picture?)

puppy is an outpost and not affiliated to big corporations who are only answerable to themselves and their shareholders. the NSA has shown the disgraceful over-reach of one country's government (america) and a simple operating system like puppy is the PEOPLE'S way to fight back (inb4commie)

Myth: "Puppy is what people want on their mobile device."

i do! .. what's it got to do with 'fan boy'ism? .. what a patronising statement!

people want puppy because it's good and they like it.
so are you saying every time we like something we're being a 'fan boy'?
no. people find something that's good and they use it.. that's called having a BRAIN.

i have a tech friend who won't listen about puppy.. he has problems with viri and bugs and microsoft's shenanigans and i keep recommending puppy to him especially for internet use on a second partition and he won't do it.

like you he's resistant to change.
me: if i see something that does a good job .. better than what i'm using now i'll use it.
it's got nothing to do with being a 'fan boy' .. if a better operating system than puppy came along i'd use the thing!

i think the fan boy here is YOU! ... you're a fan of puppy and don't want it used in any way you don't approve of... that to me is being president of the fan boy club! .. jeez dude. get over it.


Myth: "Puppy could gain a mobile foothold."

your argument is complete nonsense. 'a market foothold' indeed. 'contacts' you say.. how do you think you get those things in the first place?
by making the tool AVAILABLE for crying out loud!
how can you sell something you haven't even got?
that's ludicrous. MAKE the thing and stop being sybil the soothsayer about how it won't work.. if it becomes popular it WILL work.
negative attitudes like yours GUARANTEE failure. like that old saying:

"if you try you have a 50% chance of failure...
if you DON'T try you have a 100% chance of failure!"

would you have predicted the success of software like 'winzip' for a random example? .. would you have said "nobody's using it so it won't work" before anyone even tried it? or knew about it? or before it even existed? .. that's your argument here.


Well... I think thats a good start to the conversation, hopefully everyone who commented before will jump on board, and we'll get some new people to join in the discussion.

you arksed for it Wink


note:
i use lower case as it's the way of the future

i don't give a 3 legged dog's morning f4rt about typos and ending sentences with a preposition.

i use CaPiTaLs for emphasis like we did in ye olden days (when we used to write with the claw of a crow in fresh hot pitch.. so sue me)

i'm so random i use young people words like 'random' and i haven't used a message board in years so i'm rusty on formatting and i simply do not care, fey individual that i am.the opinion is what's important.. not being anally retentive about persnickety details.. so there

the rules to this board were written by yoda!
posting you cannot
horse-hockey this post .. is

no refunds Wink


and finally.... puppy is a fantastic operating system that isn't being used anywhere near as fully as it could be.

sure there are things wrong with it (well more the ancillary apps as mentioned.. dudes we've got enough mp3 players already)


suggestion: musicians are tending to buy iPhones and iPads more .. why?
because android has a great deal of trouble with LATENCY on multitrack software (the lag between hearing yourself record against other tracks) and also 'slippage' where the recorded material shifts.

if puppy could make tablet and phone ready versions of the OS AND focus on a multitrack audio recording tool similar to REAPER (by cockos) which is PHENOMENALLY good (and isn't made for windows and apple and runs in wine but has trouble using the ASIO latency plugin)

in fact...that's a great idea! liaise with cockos to port it to puppy tablet and call the OS 'puppyPill' (a play on 'tablet')

there are GAZILLIONS of musicians (usually poor) who get REAMED by apple's pricing regime and usually use windwows because they're largely ignored by the linux community..and yes, i've tried AVLINUX and it's nowhere near as flexible as pup... good idea though.

there's a huge untapped market.

anyway ..gotta go earn some coin.


think about it.

my post is somewhat blunt and confrontational but that's because i have a lot of respect for puppy and barry's efforts and it galls me to see limited thinking and negativity when there are such great possibilities beckoning that could benefit MANY people.

i thought that was the idea of linux... freedom and accessibility in the hands of the people rather than limitations and corporate monopolies.

viva puppy and let's think laterally!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
pupfiend

Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 00:18    Post subject: Re: Puppylinux on Phone/Tablets: the definitive thread
Subject description: Puppy replaces android
 

Q5sys wrote:
Jake wrote:
Just so yall know where I'm coming from: there are three evil enities on the WWW-- MSFT, GOOG, & FB. None of which I use much, & ususally not at all [goog & fb not at all]. Puppy user since 98' maybe earlier. All my computers have at least three vers of Pups, Lucid, Slacko, & MacPup. I like Pups because they are simple, efficient, quick OSes, and I can use them to beat MSFT oses into submission and comply with my desires. Not gonna write about mphones, because they are an offense to all and I don't own one [FYI, an offense because people use them in public as if they were privately at home].

I bought a Blackberry Playbook & an Archos device to play with, since they are not computers in my opinion. In one sense they are spy devices for BB & Goog; goog because although there are many manufacturers, goog holds nearly all the cards [and has nearly accomplished what MSFT always wanted--my gmail @ googisonefascistbidness, which they let me have, and I'll never check]. The BB is the much better device as it almost does everything a real computer can do without having to buy APPs. APPs are another statement that tablets, android devices in particular, are not real computers with a real OS; to play DVD media you MUST buy a cinema plug in device--15 euros. After I root the Archos it should behave more as a true OS, or a brick.

From what I understand the Linux Kernel has had tablet functions built in since around 2.8, so that means Puppy and many Pups have the capability to run tablets [correct if wrong].

I want Puppy on a tablet so it's just like my Puppies on net/lap/desktop computers. I want to use Opera, not Opera mini, Geaney, Abi-Word, mplayer or VLC just as I would in a Puppy. Puppy uses less mem than both android [4.0.3] and the BB OS. Android recognizes nerdsticks and sd cards, my Playbook does not--some do.

I want to stop BB or Goog from spying on me. I want the OS of my choice. Those are the main reasons I want Puppy on a tablet.

I have read a post somewhere that stated: rooted and installed Puppy to my Toshiba Thrive; now I've got a real computer. Well, it's either true or not. Knowing the Puppy and Linux crowd, it's prolly true.


Tablets are fundamentally a different world than PCs. For one there is no standard hardware spec to base a release off of.

Could Puppy be ported to a tablet? Absolutely. What would it require? A complete compiling of EVERYTHING in the system. Its not just flashing an existing Puppy to a tablet, you'd have to manually rebuild every single part of the system. Just compiling time alone will run you weeks. Someone could with ALOT of time and effort compile Puppy or any Linux OS to run on a specific tablet, but that does not mean it'll work on any other tablet. It means it'll work on THAT tablet.
It also means that you'll need to compile all the software you want to run yourself, possibly requiring you to tweak the source to make it work.
It also does not mean you'll get your typical tablet style interface that you'd want. It wont have touch capability beyond point and click; since the applications arent programmed for touch input. But if you like using your finger as a mouse... have fun, well right up until you need to right click and drag. lol


The biggest hurdle is the hardware problem. ARM6 soft float, vs ARM6 hard float. ARM6 vs ARM7. Not to mention ARM vs Atom. Or ARM vs VIA vs Tegra.
Until the industry starts to work off a single system, its going to be an uphill battle to try to get a single linux distro to work on multiple tablets.

Could someone do it, yes. Do I think its worth it? No. Will someone probably do it? You can count on it.

I still dont personally see any advantages over using a convertable notebook like the Lenovo Yoga But that's just me.


As for puppy and the Toshiba Thrive... the only thing I've found about it is a post from 2012 which went unanswered. http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-development/10943-puppy-linux-thrive.html



yeah.. it will require work by people with brains bigger than mine and yours but it took work to get puppy to work on all the devices it works on now.

think of all the architectures and devices it's been made to work on in the past. it seems to have managed quite well.
if there's enthusiasm and effort and possibility thinking it can happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 2525
Location: Moved from Hosla to www.eussenheim.de

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 12:38    Post subject: Re: Puppylinux on Phone/Tablets: the definitive thread
Subject description: Puppy replaces android
 

Jake wrote:
... Puppy user since 98' maybe earlier....
Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dromeno

Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 538

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:28    Post subject: Samsung Galaxy Tab - puppy friendly?  

Is this something to look out for? The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1" tablet has

- an intel chip and
- a micro SD slot.

I have no clue how the BIOS looks (does it have a BIOS? I suppose so...) but this might be a tablet capable of booting in puppy from a micro SD card, am I correct?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dromeno

Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 538

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:39    Post subject: Linux on x86 tablet test article  

No mention about a "right click and drag" problem here. But indeed, it is not puppy. Still it looks promising:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/install-linux-on-your-x86-tablet-five-distros-to-choose-from-1162825
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
valery

Joined: 21 Dec 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sat 21 Dec 2013, 18:22    Post subject: precise puppy on lenovo yoga
Subject description: wifi driver issue solved on lenovo yoga
 

Just wanted to let you know that precise puppy 5.7.1 works great on lenovo yoga, which is not exactly a tablet, but may be used as a tablet (touchscreen). The only issue was the wifi driver (rtl8723au-master) I could not install, while I succeeded immediately with Ubuntu and Debian. Finally, with dvx_precise_5.7.1.sfs AND kernel_src-3.9.11-patched.sfs loaded, the wifi driver can be installed (make, make install). The touchscreen seems to work too, although not with accuracy. The wifi driver is available here : https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723au Thanks a lot for this amazing distro !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10557
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Sun 22 Dec 2013, 11:15    Post subject:  

Thanks valery for that info.

Lenovo Yoga look impressive indeed.
It is not cheap though. Where I live the
pro 2 version costs us 1 518 U.S. dollars
plus minus depending on the retailer?

Here is a nice test that find Ubuntu
and OpenSuse to work best on a
Acer Iconia W500 tablet.

but it is too expensive for me.
1 030.59 USD they cost more in Sweden
than in USA. They installed these Linux OS distros

Ubuntu
Android
Fedora
Kubuntu Active
OpenSUSE

Both Ubuntu and OpenSuse got 5/5 score
but they preferred OpenSuse over Ubunto

So there exists tablets out there that can use Linux

you only know how to find them Smile Don't ask me
I just found this review and test by google pure luck.

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 5 [73 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1508s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0077s) ][ GZIP on ]