Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Volhout

GOT

#661 Post by Volhout »

Too bad, another 9 months of waiting for season 4 ........

Jejy69

#662 Post by Jejy69 »

For Abiword, you can simply downgrade "wv" from gslapt.
Choose a previous version of wv and click "Downgrade". It'll work. I updated libraries but some application prefer old libs.

Pidgin... I don't understand, I successfully connected to my MSN account, which is "@live.fr". I search a solution. :?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

natgab

#663 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:For Abiword, you can simply downgrade "wv" from gslapt.
Choose a previous version of wv and click "Downgrade". It'll work. I updated libraries but some application prefer old libs.

Pidgin... I don't understand, I successfully connected to my MSN account, which is "@live.fr". I search a solution. :?
--I installed 2.8.6-i486-3gv, this only gives an option to upgrade. I don't see a version with " wv " to downgrade.

EDIT: I got Pidgin to work!! Guess who forgot a letter in his email. :oops:
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

Jejy69

#664 Post by Jejy69 »

I'm sorry I misspoke. you just need to reinstall wv.
For this, type 'wv' in Gslapt and downgrade this dependence.
I attach a screen.

GG for pidgin ! :D
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(44.11 KiB) Downloaded 1515 times

natgab

#665 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:I'm sorry I misspoke. you just need to reinstall wv.
For this, type 'wv' in Gslapt and downgrade this dependence.
I attach a screen.

GG for pidgin ! :D
--Perfect!! Everything is working now. Abiword was able to open .DOC and .DOCX. All my other applications I use working great. Seems like you are getting close to getting out of Beta.

I will see what other programs I can install to test.
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

Jejy69

#666 Post by Jejy69 »

I will downgrade wv in the next ISO, and add some basic libs.
So cool, maybe the end ? :D

natgab

#667 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:I will downgrade wv in the next ISO, and add some basic libs.
So cool, maybe the end ? :D
--I do have a question. How can I adjust the frequency of the save files? It seems like it goes on all the time. I back-up my files on my SD card, so I don't need it so frequent to do back-ups.

EDIT: I found the Puppy Event Manager. I changed the save intervals from every 30 minutes to every 50 minutes. :D
Last edited by natgab on Sat 29 Jun 2013, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

LordPeter

BIG Thanks and a question re wifi

#668 Post by LordPeter »

Hi Jerome,

First of all: Thank you for your great work! Lxpup - especially 13.01 - is my favorite Linux system and I have a lot of fun with my 10 year old Sony laptop! Very stable and smooth!

However, I'm currently testing the 13.04 BetaV6 with a netbook which is about 3 yrs old. Everything is fine, but unfortunately wifi does not work. With iwconfig I get

Code: Select all

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
and with dmesg | grep 819 I get the following:

Code: Select all

[    0.208194] pci_root PNP0A08:00: host bridge window [mem 0x3f700000-0xdfffffff]
[    2.898190] pnp 00:08: [io  0x04d0-0x04d1]
[    2.898195] pnp 00:08: [io  0x0800-0x087f]
[   33.887612] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: detected 8192K stolen memory
[   34.881983] [drm] Changing LVDS panel from (-hsync, -vsync) to (-hsync, +vsync)
[   35.244201] rtl8192se 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
[   35.244217] rtl8192se 0000:03:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
[   35.256634] rtl8192se: rtl8192ce: FW Power Save off (module option)
[   35.264170] rtl8192se: Driver for Realtek RTL8192SE/RTL8191SE
[   35.264176] Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
[   35.737593] rtl8192se:rtl92s_init_sw_vars():<0-0> Failed to request firmware!
[   35.737660] rtl8192se 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A disabled

All drivers for Realtek RTL8192SE are available, I also compared the files and folders with version 13.01 - absolutely identical!

Do you have any idea or advice how to fix this?

Thanks again, and all the best from
Peter

Sylvander

#669 Post by Sylvander »

1. Made a "live" CD-RW of lxpup-14.iso that I got last night at the 1st post [now no longer present].

2. It booted just fine.
Made the normal Puppy config choices, and rebooted.

3. Made a pupsave file at shutdown.
I'd already copied the SFS file to a suitably named folder, and saved the pupsave beside the SFS.

4. At reboot, I got the warning "Machine Check Error", and the desktop cyclically rebooted, giving the same warning at each boot.
Any idea of how to fix?
Is the iso faulty?
I see no md5sum for neither lxpup-14, nor lxpup-13.01FULL which I am about to try booting.

5. OK, lxpup-13.01FULL appears to be working just fine.
Typing this from it right now.
First not-so-good thing I noticed is that the optical disk is racing in the drive; had to remove it.
I'll continue exploring. :D
I wonder if it will be possible to choose if/when "to save or not to save" session changes back to the pupsave?

pchan

#670 Post by pchan »

Hi Jejy69,

I used to love lxpup very much and i still do.

But recently, i discovered that xfce has one feature which i find very useful.

Using xfce window manager, i could tile 2 windows side by side. I sometimes like to watch video with one window and check up a few things with another window. By being able to tile the 2 windows side by side, i can do both together without having to have 1 window covering the other window.

I wonder if in Lxde window manager, there is a way to achieve this. It will be good if tiling can also be achieved using the Lxde windows manager.

Thanks.

pchan

Sylvander

#671 Post by Sylvander »

Regarding lxpup-13.01FULL:
1. How should I put on the desktop/pinboard, icons for the following:
a. All drives/partitions seen by the Puppy.
b. A terminal window.

musher0

#672 Post by musher0 »

@jejy:

I see "End" in your sub-title... Really? LxPup 14 will be the last version?
You're exhausted, eh?

Bye for now.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

bark_bark_bark

#673 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I downloaded lxpup 14.

You have replaced puppy's package manger with a different one. I would normally see that negatively, but it being based on slackware using slackware's package manager actually amazed me (I want to know how you did it :) )

Also I am wondering, how did you build the packages for the lxpup repo? Did you use stock, modified, or scratch-made SlackBuilds? Did you use them at all?

Jejy69

#674 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello,

Sorry, I will answer you in a few hours, I have to finish several tasks.
Thank you for your patience!

Jejy69

#675 Post by Jejy69 »

I set of the delay, I kindly request you to excuse me and to correct me if an answer is missing or incomplete. To be able to be in full ownership of my means, I am obliged to put into action Tchaïkovski and VivaldiImage.
There are some which I could not answer, especially at the material level, I do not know many thing. The kernel being for me the heart of Linux, I do not dare to affect it.
I hope that the big connoisseurs can give you an answer.

LordPeter: Welcome to this forum, and thanks you to try Lxpup based on 01Micko's Slacko 5.5.
Unfortunately, I cannot bring of answer for the moment, I go to see near the folder of firmwares.

Sylvander: Lxde/Pcmanfm doesn't support Drives on desktop, but, maybe you can try this from akash_rawal http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 792#632792
For Terminal icon, go in the menu, right click on the terminal, and click on the option to add a shortcut. Or, go to /usr/share/applications, copy the terminal icon, and paste it on your "Desktop" folder ( located in /root/desktop ).

pchan: I do not manage to visualize what you describe me, could you send me a screen shot please? It's possible to lauch Xfwm4 in replacement of Openbox if you want.

musher0: To be frank, I do not know, indeed, I'm exhausted, student and employee at a college as a "pion" ( In French lycées, the pions (officially called surveillants) are responsible for supervising pupils.) I wanted to show my vision of Puppy. Puppy up to date, under an aspect other than JWM + Rox, with possibilities of changes, a package manager more efficient... Puppy can be pleasant to see, without sacrificing its lightness.

I try certainly to make of Puppy an operating system as an other one finally, and I have can be understood the philosophy of Puppy. Or rather, I do not want to understand it.
Little of returns of about some of my contributions in the subsection " Desktop " consolidates me in this opinion. No, Puppy is not or a little interested in other thing than Jwm / Openbox / Icewm. I am not in the requirement of the lightness.

I also owe that I am tried a lot to continue with Salix / Slackware, a developer with whom I discussed having made a pleasant description of the system. I installed it on my PC, and it is a really complete system, other thing than Ubuntu / Debian. I like it. I discovered Slackware thanks to 01Micko and his Slacko in fact.

I'm not sure Lxpup serves the interests of Puppy, there are many derivatives, and I see that the basic Puppies are not inspired by any of these derivatives, which may reflect the desires of users. And yet ... there are so many interesting things, concept...Image

bark_bark_bark: Yes, replacement, strange result isn't it ? How I do it ?
I can explain it if you want. Really not rocket science, just a little tweaking. An understanding of the operation of the software. Then a study of critical libs that can break the system. I can explain if you want, but another day please Image.
Packages for Slackware are really easy to build, I used all methods, Slackbuild, compilation... I can show you too, how you can create your own repository with dependencies support like I did. Maybe tomorrow, in [How to] section.

Ok, I wrote this message for 1 hour and a half. Want to sleep now Image.
Have a nice evening!
Last edited by Jejy69 on Tue 23 Jul 2013, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#676 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Yes, I would like you to explain it to me.

Jejy69

#677 Post by Jejy69 »

First tuto to create a Slackware / Salix / Lxpup package.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 020#715020

I am sorry if it is not clear, I am not used to explaining things in detail.
Don't hesitate to post yours questions

pchan

#678 Post by pchan »

Hi Jejy69,

here are some screen shots about windows tiling side by side.

Lately, I found it very useful because When i am watching a movie halfway and i suddenly want to check up something with web browser, I can still keep an eye on the movie. The web browser window will not cover up the vlc window.

Windows 7 has this feature. Windows xp doesn't have this feature. But for windows xp, someone created a program called winsplit revolution to make it possible for windows to tile.

if there is a program to make it possible for windows to tile under lxde windows manager, i will be very happy.

As far as i know, xfce and the e17 windows environment has the tiling feature.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(182.06 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
Screenshot1.jpg
(125.33 KiB) Downloaded 755 times

peebee

Simplicity Linux based on LXPup

#679 Post by peebee »

ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#680 Post by Jejy69 »

And after all that, no publication from distrowatch for Lxpup. it no longer useless, my progress on Gslapt, Lxde etc ... I am disgusted. Good for simplicity Linux. I'm on the verge of stopping it. Many disappointment.

Lxpup is dead, long life to Simplicity!
We have also put more focus on Gslapt as the package manager.
I'll cry.