Remastered CD settings

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

Remastered CD settings

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I am experimenting with creating a remastered CD. So far I am really impressed with all the things you can do and how easy it is. I do have a few questions though.

I realize that there is a /tmp/root directory created when remastering a CD.

Initially I set up Skype, Pidgin, and Openbox with the theme that I want to use as well as the font size for openbox. When I remastered a new CD, and restarted, all the settings were gone. I would imagine I would have to put the Openbox config files in the /tmp/root directory?

What I can't seem to figure out is where the pidgin and skype settings are kept so that I can put them in the /tmp/root directory as well.

Any other things I should put in tmp/root that I might find useful?

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

remaster2 does more of a 'general release' as far as the created /tmp/root goes - consider simply replacing the created /tmp/root with a copy of your current /root if your remaster is for personal use only. All your personal configs (and whatever else you have there) will be retained (as far as what's in ~ goes, anyway).

About the only caveat for the full copy of /root is that any installed dotpet summaries (the *.files in ~/.packages) are for reference only once you remaster. Also check to see where your browser(s) keep their cache (if you haven't set them to clear it on close);)

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks so much! I prefer using Puppy from a CD so I guess it would make sense to create a Save file? If so, any idea what size? I was thinking something like 1 or maybe 2GB in size and kept on my HD. Another thing I can do is just install the iso file (I just created from the remastering), onto my HD. Puppy is so cool and the options seem to be endless. :)

rmcellig

#4 Post by rmcellig »

OK. Here is where I am so far. I created a remastered CD. When I boot from it using puppy pfix=ram, everything looks fine when I get to the desktop. All my files are there, look and feel etc... Now, I would like to put this setup on my newly created etc4 formatted partition (sda6).

What do I have to do? Just copy the files from the remastered CD to the new partition? If so, do I just go into Grub4Dos and create a new grub menu file, and my system will boot properly into Linux with all the remastered settings etc...?

If the answer is yes to my questions, when asked to create a new save file will my remastered settings still be the same?

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

Problem solved. Here is what I did. Not sure if this is right or not but it worked.

While booted from the remastered CD using puppy pfix=ram on startup, I used the universal installer to do a frugal install to my sda6 partition. When prompted to copy the files from the CD, I opted to say no. When I rebooted my machine after creating a new grub menu using Grub4dos, I booted into my remastered CD settings just fine.

I then upon restart created a new save file. I noticed that the save file was saved in the mnt/home/puppy528 directory. It seems that the save file(s) need to be saved in this directory in order for the save file to work.

Can someone let me know if what I have done is correct just so that I am convinced I know what I am doing? :)

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

Yes you are correct - except I would have let it copy the files as well so it is quicker and doesn't need the cd to load.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rmcellig

#7 Post by rmcellig »

Actually I don't use the CD now to load puppy. It resides in sda 5 and starts up like it always has.

`f00

#8 Post by `f00 »

One of the nice effects of a personal remaster - your very own comfy chair if you need to pfix=ram. Plus you have the cd if ever the hdd goes down. If you made the remaster non-machine-specific, it's a fairly easy shot to put it on another comp.

Savefile size - I tend to go with Keep your savefile slim and healthy, but that's mostly since I do usb thumbdrive and really limit sfs+savefile size to what my old machine can handle in RAM..

Yep, the dog is quite adaptable :D

rmcellig

#9 Post by rmcellig »

You mentioned non-machine specific in your last post. How can I make sure that when I remaster, it is non-machine specific?

`f00

#10 Post by `f00 »

Once you get past the /tmp/root dir stage, it goes to create /tmp/etc .. that's when it asks if you want to do machine-specific (several things like xorg.conf and so on, basically they're all in /etc). The recommendation/default is to not do so, so if you don't make any changes to the created /tmp/etc it should be generic as to machine. This means some basic setup usually..

hth

rmcellig

#11 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks!