PeasyDisc CD/DVD/BR Tools

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
rcrsn51

PeasyDisc CD/DVD/BR Tools

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyDisc is a collection of basic CD/DVD tools in one little package. Users may prefer to use its one-click ISO burning feature instead of the old burniso2cd program. Look for PeasyDisc in the Multimedia menu.

Note: The default Burn Speed is "auto". Some optical drives may work better with a specific speed like 4.

Note: As with other GTKdialog apps, you can drag-and-drop files/folders into the input boxes.

Update: There is a new "Root Folder" checkbox in the Write section. It determines whether you burn an entire folder of data to the disc (the new default) or just the contents of the folder (the old default).

Update: V5.1 has a new Config button that lets you choose some default settings. They are stored in the hidden file /root/.peasydisc. After making any changes, restart the program.

-----------------
Attachments
peasydisc-5.1.pet
Updated 2018-08-29
New Config tool
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
snappie.png
(61.92 KiB) Downloaded 645 times
peasydisc-4.1.pet
Old version with many unused/unsupported functions.
(14.44 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 29 Aug 2018, 22:34, edited 140 times in total.

Pelo

2014, i was not longer using CDs

#2 Post by Pelo »

But however without burning PeasyDisc can help (adding audio to a slideshow)
Attachments
Jimmy.jpg
PeasyDVD part of Menu 'Multimedia' OBprecise 2015 (Vicmz)
(80.55 KiB) Downloaded 1579 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 03:53, edited 2 times in total.

Henry

#3 Post by Henry »

Very neat and tidy! I've been using it. Surprised that not more interest is being shown.

Peasydisc is basic. One needs to understand the basic operations but feels he really knows what's going on.

The gui is very compact but might be a bit clearer. One is looking simutaneously at the buttons for several different operation choices, of which only one is being used, the others distracting. Perhaps we could have a row of tabs across the top for each of the uncluttered operation choices. Say, blank, burn iso, data dvd, make iso, audio? There could be a mini help (couple of sentences) on each of these tab selected pages.

About the CD ripper. Simple and direct. Put your mp3s where you like. Play them with Gnome-mplayer.

As always I admire your elegant and efficient work and the assistance you offer.

Edit: One question. When it's processing and one sees the white moving screen it seems to me rather small with a poorly legible font; is there a way to improve this? I poked around in /root/.Xdefaults but got nowhere. This presentation is apparently acceptable elswhere. Or maybe it's my box.
Last edited by Henry on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 00:54, edited 5 times in total.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Henry wrote:One is looking simutaneously at the buttons for several different operation choices....
Point taken. There is also a problem with the main window not fitting on small screens. So I am going to split it into Basic and Advanced sections, along with the current Audio section.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyDisc v1.2 is posted above. The main window has been split into smaller Basic and Advanced sections.
Henry wrote:Edit: One question. When it's processing and one sees the white moving screen it seems to me rather small with a poorly legible font; is there a way to improve this? I poked around in /root/.Xdefaults but got nowhere. This presentation is apparently acceptable elswhere. Or maybe it's my box.
That window has the same display properties as if you open a terminal from your desktop. I have never tried to change the font in Xdefaults.

The only important thing you need to read in the window is "Press Enter" when it's done processing.

Henry

#6 Post by Henry »

rcrsn51 wrote:
PeasyDisc v1.2 is posted above. The main window has been split into smaller Basic and Advanced sections.
That's a nice surprise this morning. I continue to use and like this minimalist program. Have just installed v.1.2

And about my remark on the terminal screen: Of course, don't know what I was thinking. I had meant to retract that.

mcewanw

#7 Post by mcewanw »

Nice program. I'm using this in preference to previous Puppy CD/DVD burning options. Also nicely written and organised code again - very readable.

mcewanw
github mcewanw

Henry

SOLVED

#8 Post by Henry »

rcrsn51 wrote:That window has the same display properties as if you open a terminal from your desktop. I have never tried to change the font in Xdefaults.
A related thought: I use PreciseNop-3.4.5, which uses the Xfce terminal emulator 0.4.8. I use this all the time and it is easy to set the font, etc. to what I like. Can peasydisc be made to use this instead of rxvt?

Thanks
Last edited by Henry on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Henry wrote:A related thought: I use PreciseNop-3.4.5, which uses the Xfce terminal emulator 0.4.8. I use this all the time and it is easy to set the font, etc. to what I like. Can peasydisc be made to use this instead of rxvt?
Here is something to try. It has had VERY LITTLE testing.

1. Open /usr/sbin/peasydisc in a text editor.

2. At Line 3, insert

Code: Select all

touch /tmp/go.sh
chmod 755 /tmp/go.sh
3. Do a Search and Replace. Change all instances of "rxvt -e sh" to "terminal -e". There are eight of them.

4. Save and exit.

Henry

#10 Post by Henry »

Here is something to try. It has had VERY LITTLE testing.

1. Open /usr/sbin/peasydisc in a text editor.

2. At Line 3, insert

touch /tmp/go.sh
chmod 755 /tmp/go.sh
3. Do a Search and Replace. Change all instances of "rxvt -e sh" to "terminal -e". There are eight of them.

4. Save and exit.
Thanks; I seem to have a problem with search and replace. I get this 8X:

rxvt -e shterminal -e /tmp/go.sh
I deleted the rxvt -e sh part 8X without success. Here's the file before that: Removed, no longer needed)
Last edited by Henry on Sat 22 Jun 2013, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

You will need to reinstall to get a clean copy of the program. Then either practice using Search and Replace or change them one-by-one.

Or go through the above code and delete all the "rxvt -e sh" phrases.

Henry

#12 Post by Henry »

rcrsn51 wrote:You will need to reinstall to get a clean copy of the program. Then either practice using Search and Replace or change them one-by-one.

Or go through the above code and delete all the "rxvt -e sh" phrases.
I conclude that my leafpad text editor has a bug in search and replace, whether one at a time or eight at a time! So I did it manually. Program works as before, but still uses rxvt.

EDIT: FWIW Bluefish correctly did the search and replace, so my conclusion seems valid.
Note: all my comparison of text editors here turned out to be suggestive, but really a red herring, so I have removed it.
Last edited by Henry on Sat 22 Jun 2013, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#13 Post by Henry »

rcrsn51 wrote:You will need to reinstall to get a clean copy of the program. Then either practice using Search and Replace or change them one-by-one.
Ah, well, I feel a bit like the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I can only reiterate my experience, however unexpected. It's beside the point since the modified peasydisc works no differently for me.

As you pointed out, the terminal display is quite unimportant. I've been tinkering with, updating, upgrading, etc this evolving computer for many years - it's very far from an unvarnished PreciseNop. So I certainly do not expect a special version. Again, thanks for all you do on the forum!

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

Henry wrote:It's beside the point since the modified peasydisc works no differently for me.
I don't understand this. I made the same changes in a test install of NOP and I got the Xfce terminal window instead of an rxvt window. I was able to change the font and see the changes when PeasyDisc ran.

Henry

#15 Post by Henry »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Henry wrote:It's beside the point since the modified peasydisc works no differently for me.
I don't understand this. I made the same changes in a test install of NOP and I got the Xfce terminal window instead of an rxvt window. I was able to change the font and see the changes when PeasyDisc ran.
Yes, a puzzle. Which Nop did you test in? My findings in a highly customized PreciseNop-5.4.3 are:

- I reinstalled Leafpad 0.8.18.1. S&R still fails. After a manual edit rxvt still appears and program works apparently normally.
- (Yes, I will try pfix=ram and report.)
- S&R works in the Bluefish text editor.
(Extraneous material here removed.)
Last edited by Henry on Sat 22 Jun 2013, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#16 Post by Henry »

I think I can write SOLVED on this one!
(I had suspected the possibility of HD corruption, but didn't get around to checkin until now, sorry)

e2fsck /mnt/home/PreciseNop/precisesave-A.2fs
seems to have done it. The screenshot tells all.
Thanks for your patience.
Attachments
peasydisk.png
(93.75 KiB) Downloaded 859 times

Henry

This is an outstanding utility!

#17 Post by Henry »

Having got past an unfortunate and extraneous obscure HD problem, I've been using peasydisc quite a lot, and it is excellent.

Being able to use a decent terminal display instead of the small and inflexible rxvt is a vast improvement. You can really see what's going on.

For example, I have used it many times to back up a folder to a DVD-R. This takes only these steps:
- Choose the folder.
- Choose "new" disc or "add to" disc.
- Click "write."

If the fies are not all in the same folder, temporarily put them in one. I forgot to include a file so did an "add to." No problem. Other tasks are easy, too, once you become familiar with ths efficient tool.

Thanks!

nancy reagan

usable for usb install

#18 Post by nancy reagan »

Could this pet be used for making an usb install of other linux distros ?

And if so, which bootloader to choose ?

rcrsn51

Re: usable for usb install

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

nancy reagan wrote:Could this pet be used for making an usb install of other linux distros ?
No. It sounds like you want ISObooter.

rcrsn51

Re: This is an outstanding utility!

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

Henry wrote:If the fies are not all in the same folder, temporarily put them in one.
The best way to do this is by symlinking.

1. Create a temporary folder, like /tmp/source.
2. Drag all the target files and folders into your source folder using a "Link" operation.
3. Drag the source folder into PeasyDisc.

Then there is no duplication of files on your hard drive.