Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 14:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
PeasyDisc CD/DVD/BR Tools
Page 1 of 6 [83 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 03 May 2013, 14:37    Post subject:  PeasyDisc CD/DVD/BR Tools  

PeasyDisc is a collection of basic CD/DVD tools in one little package. Users may prefer to use its one-click ISO burning feature instead of the old burniso2cd program. Look for PeasyDisc in the Multimedia menu.

--------------------------------------

Update: PeasyDisc v3.0 has a tool for joining several MP3 files into one track. Use it to add background audio to a slideshow. The tool uses ffmpeg and should work with all recent Puppies.

Update: PeasyDisc v2.9 has a Repair option for ripping damaged or copy-protected audio CDs. There is no guarantee that it will work with all copy protection schemes.

Update: PeasyDisc v2.8 has removed some features from the Video section that never received sufficient testing or feedback. The core functionality is unchanged.

Update: PeasyDisc v2.7 has a new Compatibility setting. The default is "XP". Use the "95" option if the target drive needs the older standard. (See the discussion on page 4.) If you are upgrading from a previous version, make sure that you select a Compatibility value.

Update: PeasyDisc v2.0 introduces some improvements to the Advanced > Write function.

1. You can now write a single file directly to a disc without first moving it to a temporary source folder. This is a convenient way to back up large individual files, like ISOs, to an optical disc.

2. You can also write data to a CD in multiple sessions using the same drag-and-drop technique as with DVDs.

Update: PeasyDisc v1.7 introduces support for Blu-ray burning. See Page 3.

Update: PeasyDisc v1.6 introduces a tool for building DVD slideshows. See Page 3 and the additional Extras package.
peasydisc-3.2.pet
Description  Updated 2014-08-25
Verify writing data to disc
pet

Download 
Filename  peasydisc-3.2.pet 
Filesize  12.84 KB 
Downloaded  55 Time(s) 
screenie.png
 Description   
 Filesize   195.34 KB
 Viewed   2003 Time(s)

screenie.png

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 25 Aug 2014, 21:25; edited 87 times in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jun 2013, 16:42    Post subject: 2014, i was not longer using CDs
Subject description: But however without burning PeasyDisc can help

But however without burning PeasyDisc can help (adding audio to a slideshow)
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 11 Aug 2014, 06:11; edited 1 time in total
Henry

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun 2013, 00:11    Post subject:  

Very neat and tidy! I've been using it. Surprised that not more interest is being shown.

Peasydisc is basic. One needs to understand the basic operations but feels he really knows what's going on.

The gui is very compact but might be a bit clearer. One is looking simutaneously at the buttons for several different operation choices, of which only one is being used, the others distracting. Perhaps we could have a row of tabs across the top for each of the uncluttered operation choices. Say, blank, burn iso, data dvd, make iso, audio? There could be a mini help (couple of sentences) on each of these tab selected pages.

About the CD ripper. Simple and direct. Put your mp3s where you like. Play them with Gnome-mplayer.

As always I admire your elegant and efficient work and the assistance you offer.

Edit: One question. When it's processing and one sees the white moving screen it seems to me rather small with a poorly legible font; is there a way to improve this? I poked around in /root/.Xdefaults but got nowhere. This presentation is apparently acceptable elswhere. Or maybe it's my box.

Last edited by Henry on Thu 06 Jun 2013, 20:54; edited 5 times in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun 2013, 08:40    Post subject:  

Henry wrote:
One is looking simutaneously at the buttons for several different operation choices....

Point taken. There is also a problem with the main window not fitting on small screens. So I am going to split it into Basic and Advanced sections, along with the current Audio section.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun 2013, 09:46    Post subject:  

PeasyDisc v1.2 is posted above. The main window has been split into smaller Basic and Advanced sections.

Henry wrote:
Edit: One question. When it's processing and one sees the white moving screen it seems to me rather small with a poorly legible font; is there a way to improve this? I poked around in /root/.Xdefaults but got nowhere. This presentation is apparently acceptable elswhere. Or maybe it's my box.

That window has the same display properties as if you open a terminal from your desktop. I have never tried to change the font in Xdefaults.

The only important thing you need to read in the window is "Press Enter" when it's done processing.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun 2013, 11:04    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Quote:
PeasyDisc v1.2 is posted above. The main window has been split into smaller Basic and Advanced sections.

That's a nice surprise this morning. I continue to use and like this minimalist program. Have just installed v.1.2

And about my remark on the terminal screen: Of course, don't know what I was thinking. I had meant to retract that.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun 2013, 23:10    Post subject:  

Nice program. I'm using this in preference to previous Puppy CD/DVD burning options. Also nicely written and organised code again - very readable.

mcewanw

Henry

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun 2013, 23:33    Post subject: SOLVED  

rcrsn51 wrote:
That window has the same display properties as if you open a terminal from your desktop. I have never tried to change the font in Xdefaults.

A related thought: I use PreciseNop-3.4.5, which uses the Xfce terminal emulator 0.4.8. I use this all the time and it is easy to set the font, etc. to what I like. Can peasydisc be made to use this instead of rxvt?

Thanks

Last edited by Henry on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 17:42; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013, 07:49    Post subject:  

Henry wrote:
A related thought: I use PreciseNop-3.4.5, which uses the Xfce terminal emulator 0.4.8. I use this all the time and it is easy to set the font, etc. to what I like. Can peasydisc be made to use this instead of rxvt?

Here is something to try. It has had VERY LITTLE testing.

1. Open /usr/sbin/peasydisc in a text editor.

2. At Line 3, insert
Code:
touch /tmp/go.sh
chmod 755 /tmp/go.sh

3. Do a Search and Replace. Change all instances of "rxvt -e sh" to "terminal -e". There are eight of them.

4. Save and exit.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:38    Post subject:  

Quote:
Here is something to try. It has had VERY LITTLE testing.

1. Open /usr/sbin/peasydisc in a text editor.

2. At Line 3, insert
Code:
touch /tmp/go.sh
chmod 755 /tmp/go.sh

3. Do a Search and Replace. Change all instances of "rxvt -e sh" to "terminal -e". There are eight of them.

4. Save and exit.

Thanks; I seem to have a problem with search and replace. I get this 8X:
Code:
rxvt -e shterminal -e /tmp/go.sh

I deleted the rxvt -e sh part 8X without success. Here's the file before that: Removed, no longer needed)

Last edited by Henry on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 22:42; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:53    Post subject:  

You will need to reinstall to get a clean copy of the program. Then either practice using Search and Replace or change them one-by-one.

Or go through the above code and delete all the "rxvt -e sh" phrases.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013, 11:42    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
You will need to reinstall to get a clean copy of the program. Then either practice using Search and Replace or change them one-by-one.

Or go through the above code and delete all the "rxvt -e sh" phrases.

I conclude that my leafpad text editor has a bug in search and replace, whether one at a time or eight at a time! So I did it manually. Program works as before, but still uses rxvt.

EDIT: FWIW Bluefish correctly did the search and replace, so my conclusion seems valid.
Note: all my comparison of text editors here turned out to be suggestive, but really a red herring, so I have removed it.

Last edited by Henry on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 22:47; edited 1 time in total
Henry

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 07:29    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:

Ah, well, I feel a bit like the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I can only reiterate my experience, however unexpected. It's beside the point since the modified peasydisc works no differently for me.

As you pointed out, the terminal display is quite unimportant. I've been tinkering with, updating, upgrading, etc this evolving computer for many years - it's very far from an unvarnished PreciseNop. So I certainly do not expect a special version. Again, thanks for all you do on the forum!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 08:06    Post subject:  

Henry wrote:
It's beside the point since the modified peasydisc works no differently for me.

I don't understand this. I made the same changes in a test install of NOP and I got the Xfce terminal window instead of an rxvt window. I was able to change the font and see the changes when PeasyDisc ran.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 14:15    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Henry wrote:
It's beside the point since the modified peasydisc works no differently for me.

I don't understand this. I made the same changes in a test install of NOP and I got the Xfce terminal window instead of an rxvt window. I was able to change the font and see the changes when PeasyDisc ran.

Yes, a puzzle. Which Nop did you test in? My findings in a highly customized PreciseNop-5.4.3 are:

- I reinstalled Leafpad 0.8.18.1. S&R still fails. After a manual edit rxvt still appears and program works apparently normally.
- (Yes, I will try pfix=ram and report.)
- S&R works in the Bluefish text editor.
(Extraneous material here removed.)

Last edited by Henry on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 22:54; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 6 [83 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: