Upup Raring 3.8.7 with non-PAE 3.8.7 kernel, created using

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
johnfriction

Love Upup Raring

#321 Post by johnfriction »

I'm a mostly newbie and have found that Upup Raring works beautifully on a Dell Latitude laptop (~2009). I don't know much about how puppies work, but if the performance improvements have to do with Ubuntu Raring's focus on performance improvements, it's amazing. Even faster than Precise 5.6.1 -- faster bootup and especially shutdown, apps like Puppy Package Manager much faster to start than on Precise. Broadcom wireless continues to work out-of-the-box, unlike Ubuntu/Mint 13.04 derivatives. Thanks to all for their work on this puppy.

Billtoo

Upup Raring 3.8.7 with non-PAE 3.8.7 kernel, created using

#322 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to a 4gb flash drive, running on a hp
desktop pc.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Mon 10 Jun 2013 on Upup Raring 3.8.7
Linux 3.8.7-upup i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller:
NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.13.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.23

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Core 0: @800 1: @800 2: @800 3: @800 4: @800 5: @800 MHz

Updated ppm and installed pretty much the same applications as on my
other flash drive install.

Working well on this one too.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(24.19 KiB) Downloaded 840 times

backi

SOLVED

#323 Post by backi »

Hi folks!

Upup Raring 3.8.7 is an excellent Puppy ....but does not save CPU Frequency settings .

Or is it maybe just me ?
Last edited by backi on Tue 11 Jun 2013, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

backi

SOLVED

#324 Post by backi »

Hi there !!
SOLVED

...."but does not save CPU Frequency settings" .

Bullshit ...... everything works fine

mikeslr

Just Catching up

#325 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

deleted. Covered more accurately by Musheroo.
mikesLr

musher0

Re: Just Catching up

#326 Post by musher0 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi All,

deleted. Covered more accurately by Musheroo.
mikesLr
Hello, mikeslr,

Are you talking about me, musher0 (pronounced "musher-zero")?

Long story short, the zero ("0") means that I am not leading a team any more, that I'm just a regular dog now.

If so, what did I cover more accurately? :)
Not that I'm fishing for compliments, but it would be nice to know! :)

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

linux28

#327 Post by linux28 »

3.9.6 2013-06-13

ETP

#328 Post by ETP »

Hi pemasu,

Time to stop catching those rays and get back to the kennel me thinks!
We have seen very little of the sun here in the U.K. The youngsters seem to favour sun beds which accounts for their strange orange appearance! (We call it a “fake bake
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

anikin

#329 Post by anikin »

Barry wrote:Extra notes

I compiled the 3.9.5 kernel in Raring Puppy (built from Ubuntu Raring Ringtail DEBs).

Some features:

Configured with PAE support, so recognises up to 64MB RAM.
Minimum of a Pentium Pro (i686) CPU.
No support for ISA/EISA bus cards (support for motherboards with PCI).
The f2fs (Flash Friendly File System) is enabled, builtin.
devtmpfs enabled, so the kernel creates device nodes in /dev (and not udev).
The kernel loads module firmware (and not udev, though will fallback to udev if cannot load).

There are linux_kernel and linux_header PETs available for Woof to build Raring Puppy.

For announcements about Raring Puppy see my blog:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/

Barry Kauler
June 13, 2013
Hopefully, pemasu will also apply this trick to Firefox in his future builds: http://www.bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00291
Looks interesting.

I wouldn't urge him to get back here immediately, though. He's worked hard and deserves to decompress a little bit.

tlchost

#330 Post by tlchost »

anikin wrote: Hopefully, pemasu will also apply this trick to Firefox in his future builds: http://www.bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00291
Looks interesting.
Hopefully when he does it will include suppprt of my intel audio chop, as he did with his current Raring.

simargl

#331 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

anikin

#332 Post by anikin »

I don't see a contradiction here.
Barry is talking about his personal experience of compiling Seamonkey. Given, he's been working on Puppy for ten years already, he's got some experience to share as does someone who's working on Slax. He's discussing compression, not rocket science. On a good day and under the best of circumstances, perhaps I could have come to the same conclusion ... if I had a little bit of Barry's knowledge.

Jim1911

#333 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Due to health problems, I am late getting to check this out. However, I have found it to be very stable and most everything works as it should. :D

Main problem is being unable to install my printer. I installed the hplip_print-3.12.4.pet which works for me most of the time.

Only other problem noted is that Bibletime installed from Ubuntu repositories will not display text. This is an Ubuntu problem though, since the same problem occurs with Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail. A pleasant surprise is that Xiphos installed with the PPM from Ubuntu repositories and works perfectly. I've also installed Wine and am able to run my favorite Windows programs: Bible_Analyzer, e-Sword, and theWord

Thanks for a great distribution. Looking forward to your version of Barry's latest.

Thanks again, :D
Jim

Equipment: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One Printer
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(38.55 KiB) Downloaded 1381 times

666philb

#334 Post by 666philb »

Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

BHINTZ

#335 Post by BHINTZ »

I have attempted to install wine (both the pet version and ubuntu version) and both times I end up with an error message

wine: cannot find L

James C

#336 Post by James C »

Still running with no real problems. I'm passing on Barry K's latest since he returned to the pae kernels.....be sticking with this version.
Attachments
Raring 3.8.7.jpg
(38.7 KiB) Downloaded 1159 times

Volhout

1001HA

#337 Post by Volhout »

Running Upup Raring on a eepc 1001HA (N270) from USB stick. Nice work !
video and wifi work fine. Nice feature that you have implemented the power modes in form of the laptop tool (from puppeee ?).

Impressive set of apps are included. This by far exceeds whats included in the Slacko builds. The only thing I didn't find at first glance is an e-book reader. But that is easy to fix.

Wil play with this a little more, and report findings here.

Thanks Pesamu...

pemasu

#338 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Volhout. I have used fbreader from the Puppy Package Manager. It is nowadays Qt libs application. So...you unfortunately get a lot qt libs with it. But those qt libs works with other apps also. Like Smplayer, VLC etc...

I havent included old fbreader pet anymore. The qt lib based Raring repo version works fine. I have read quite a lot books at evenings now. Having leisure time still. epub and mobi versions. Raring fbreader handles them fine. I think that I dont have .mobi straight mime coupling, but is in the todo list. Lol.

And thanks to other posters also. I enjoy using Puppies....Upup Raring, Upup Precise, Dpup Wheezy and even Dpup Exprimo with my daily comp usage. But no creative or productive usage. Just used them as end user.

Still have great summer in Finland, Now 26 c in shadow. Yesterday 30 km trip on the road with poles and rollerblades. Next night I go to the fishing. I installed navionics gps plotter map application to my samsung android phone so that I know where I am going. I also ordered fishing sonic device for the boat so that I know the actual deepness and profile of the lake bottom. And maybe I even see some fishes with it. Gonna have some jigging experience.
But next night is for wobblers.

davids45

GPS - on the rebound?

#339 Post by davids45 »

G'day pemasu,

When you mention enjoying your warm summer, and have yourself a new navionics app, I wonder if your new GPS system can measure the 'Holocene' rebound I assume is happening to your part of the world?
According to geologists, Scandinavia is possibly rising about 1cm per year, recovering from being under a kilometre or two of ice for quite a while until about 20,000 years ago.

Time to buy some downhill skis for winter?

David S.

Volhout

fbreader

#340 Post by Volhout »

Hi Pesamu,

I hope you caught a lot of fish last night....

It is hard to imagine what the world looks like up there in Finland. Your winters must be long, and so "unfriendly" that you spend a lot of time indoors. En when summer finally lands, you cherish it and spend all the time you have outside. The winters are for Puppy (or e-books), the summers outdoor fun. Enjoy it !!!

Back to fbreader: didn't find it in
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-upup/
or anywhere on the server.

Did you suggest to take it from the Ubuntu packages ?

Regards,

Volhout