Tor hidden service tutorial wanted

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
Dromeno

Tor hidden service tutorial wanted

#1 Post by Dromeno »

I am looking for a good pictorial or video tutorial about setting up a .onion website via puppy. Needs to be a "step by step" pictorial for total idiots kind of thing

I have found this one:

http://kazilotus.wordpress.com/2013/03/ ... anonymous/

...but in puppy we have another server, namely hiawatha.

If there is anybody willing to create it (and post it at youtube or something like that) it would be great.

Dromeno

[Solved] answering myself

#2 Post by Dromeno »

Solution: just follow the advice of

http://kazilotus.wordpress.com/2013/03/ ... anonymous/

tot the letter.

Find the torrc file. By default, it’s in the Tor Browser\Data\Tor folder. Open the file with notepad or any other similar editors.

Now add these lines at the end of the file:

# Hidden Service
HiddenServiceDir C:\Users\Name\tor_service
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80

note: the folder C:\Users\Name\tor_service refers to a folder of your choosing where tor should store the keys hostname and private key. So it does not need to be C:\Users\Name\tor_service but can be PortableLinuxApps/tor-browser/Data/Hidden

(in that case, create a folder named Hidden in tor-browser/Data/ first)

The only caveat is that .onion websites are not normally visible to other people, they need to run tor as well. But the good thing is that your machine based website becomes visible to the rest of the world, without the need to forward a port.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

That's great, but from the way the drives are named, this appears to apply only to running Tor in Windows. Is that right?

Either way, you may attract the attention of the NSA - and your ISP may not let you get away with it.

Dromeno

#4 Post by Dromeno »

sorry for the (vacation-)delayed answer...

No, it works on (puppy)linux too. Then it becomes something like this:

# Hidden Service
HiddenServiceDir /mnt/sda1/PortableLinuxApps/Tor-Browser/Data/Hidden
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80

and about the ISP thing... To my knowledge my ISP does not require me to make my true IP adress visible at all time. Playing with .onion websites is not against the law. In my case I do not even really need that protection but this feature of tor is just a convenient way to run a PC based website

For the NSA:is there anybody in the world who does not attract the attention of the NSA nowadays? I do not think it makes a difference if you are using tor or not.