*EASY* CUPS printer installation dotpup for Puppy 1.xx/2.xx

News, happenings
pakt

*EASY* CUPS printer installation dotpup for Puppy 1.xx/2.xx

#1 Post by pakt »

UPDATE 5DEC06: This dotpup has been updated. The new cups-install-v0.3.pup can be downloaded here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13466

Announcing a simple, complete dotpup for installing CUPS printing in Puppy 1.xx & 2.xx.

No other downloads are necessary, with the exception of a .ppd file that may be needed for some printers.

MU has kindly hosted the dotpup here (this is the old dotpup):
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Printing/cups ... v0.2r1.pup (~13MB)

To install a parallel, USB or network printer, just download the dotpup and click on it - nothing can be simpler!

If your printer is not listed in the CUPS Web Interface (which is automatically opened when you run the dotpup), you will have to download a .ppd for your printer. Details are provided when you run the dotpup.

I have tested the dotpup with Puppy 1.07, 2.02 & 2.10 and have not found any problems so far.

Thanks to GuestToo for his dotpup creation examples in this thread http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10813 and to peppyy and others in this thread CUPS printing - installation script - update 13SEP06 which finally led to this CUPS dotpup :D

Feedback welcome, as usual ;)

Paul
Attachments
CUPS Printer Installation.png
(37.18 KiB) Downloaded 3029 times
Last edited by pakt on Tue 05 Dec 2006, 18:51, edited 5 times in total.

Todd

#2 Post by Todd »

I have mirrored this your CUPS dotpup at:

http://www.toddrichardson.com/archive/

I am so excited about this! (I started using Puppy at version 0.9, but have never been able to print.)

Todd

Todd

#3 Post by Todd »

Yea!!! I can finally print!

Todd

pakt

#4 Post by pakt »

Todd, glad that you finally got printing working.

I'm hoping this dotpup will be the answer for many puppians who have been struggling with printing in Puppy.

Getting CUPS to work made the difference for me - I would not have gone over to Puppy if I hadn't gotten printing to work :P

Paul

MU

#5 Post by MU »

Paul, I have no printer, but from this forum and my german one I know, that "printing" usually is the weakest thing in a modern linux-desktop.

Very great if it works, we should suggest Barry to add a installation-button to the printing-wizard.
Thanks for this masterpiece :D

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

it might be better if there were md5sums for all the files, not just for dotpup.sh, in your md5sum.txt file ... it is more likely to catch file corruption errors

but that is the choice of the creator of the package

just thought i would mention it, in case you did not realize that not all the files are being checked by md5sum (zip and gz do have their own checksums)

pakt

#7 Post by pakt »

Thanks for the tip GuestToo

Actually I did think of the fact that only the script md5sum is being checked, but I followed your simple dotpup creation tip and I didn't see how to make an md5sum for all of the files.

If you would be kind enough to show me how to do it, then we can update the dotpup with the new md5sum.

Paul
Last edited by pakt on Tue 26 Sep 2006, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

pakt

#8 Post by pakt »

MU wrote: Very great if it works, we should suggest Barry to add a installation-button to the printing-wizard.
Well, it has worked in all my tests so far with three different Puppies ;)

That's a good idea about adding a CUPS-install button in the printer wizard.

The package could be placed in the usual pupget repos and downloaded when the button is clicked 8)

Paul

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

my scripts to make a dotpup from the files in my working dir look something like this:

#!/bin/sh

md5sum dotpup.sh > md5sum.txt
md5sum dotpup.tar.gz >> md5sum.txt

rm -f dotpup.pup
zip -9 dotpup.pup dotpup.sh dotpup.tar.gz md5sum.txt

rm -f md5sum.txt

this would make a zipped file called dotpup.pup from dotpup.sh, dotpup.tar.gz, and md5sum.txt

if you want to include files aaa, bbb, ccc, ddd, and eee in your package, you could make a script something like this

#!/bin/sh
md5sum dotpup.sh > md5sum.txt
md5sum aaa >> md5sum.txt
md5sum bbb >> md5sum.txt
md5sum ccc >> md5sum.txt
md5sum ddd >> md5sum.txt
md5sum eee >> md5sum.txt
zip -9 dotpup.pup \
dotpup.sh \
aaa \
bbb \
ccc \
ddd \
eee \
md5sum.txt \

or you can put it all on 1 line

or you could put all the files in a dir called "files" and do something like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd files
rm mdsum5.txt
md5sum * > md5sum.txt
zip -9 ../mydotpup.pup *

a dotpup package should work if it's a zip file with a dotpup.sh in it to do the work, and whatever md5sum.txt file you want, as long as it won't cause md5sum -c md5sum.txt to leave an error code ... there is not one "correct" way to do it

pakt

#10 Post by pakt »

Ok, thanks for your help GuestToo. Your explanation was clear. :)

So the md5sum.txt file contains the checksums from all of the files. That's what I was not sure about.

I think it is a good idea to have the dotpup check the md5sums of all the files in my package, so I'll update the package tomorrow when I will have the time.

Paul

klhrevolutionist

#11 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Just to be clear. All I need is the dotpup hosted by MU ? Or do I need to follow the other links mentioned and install apps where it may be mentioned ?

Running Puppy 1.0.9
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Todd

All you need is the one dotpup

#12 Post by Todd »

All you need is the one dotpup.

Todd

pakt

#13 Post by pakt »

klhrevolutionist wrote:Just to be clear. All I need is the dotpup hosted by MU ? Or do I need to follow the other links mentioned and install apps where it may be mentioned ?

Running Puppy 1.0.9
You *may* also need a .ppd file for your printer if it is not listed in the CUPS web interface.

This interface will be opened automatically during the final part of the CUPS installation.

A separate help window also opens where you will get further instructions on what to do if your printer isn't listed. ;)

Paul

MU

#14 Post by MU »

---
Last edited by MU on Wed 27 Sep 2006, 18:00, edited 2 times in total.

MU

#15 Post by MU »

Todd

I have updated my archive. . .

#16 Post by Todd »

I have updated my archive with the new dotpup:

http://www.toddrichardson.com/archive/

Todd

dvw86

#17 Post by dvw86 »

I'm getting errors when trying to delete a printer job or printer.
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access the resource on this server.

I'll try a few things but if anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#18 Post by GuestToo »

i think that the allow/deny settings in cups.conf need to match the ip address you are using to access the server

i think the default setting is to allow 127.0.0.1, so connecting to the server with the address http://127.0.0.1:631/ might work but the address http://localhost:631/ might not ... it depends how cups.conf is configured ... basically, you have to allow your client access to the server ... for example, your machine's client might be 192.168.0.xxx

and you might have to allow access to the server in your firewall, especially if you are printing from another machine on a network

dvw86

#19 Post by dvw86 »

Thanks G2, that was it. Accessing CUPS from http://127.0.0.1:631/ worked.

aussie

Canon Pixmaip1000

#20 Post by aussie »

Success at last, :D after many hours of research, trial and error, have finally got my Canon Pixmaip1000 working via CUPS. Canon printers are known not to be very Linux friendly, when I collect my thoughts will post the procedure in detail. Thanks must go to pakt for his efforts in making CUPS easy to install, also to those who made contributions.
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie