For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
don570

#821 Post by don570 »

To Geoffrey....

Regards a simple snapshot program...

Have you ever tried psnapshot
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=595913

I made a simple change to mtpaintsnapshot.sh
and the snapshots are saved to a folder named 'Screenshots'.

Pemasu uses it in some of his distros.

8-bit

#822 Post by 8-bit »

Without going through the entire thread, I have to ask if there is an easy way to go back to using single-click with my mouse.
Currently, some things work with single click, and some require double-click in Carolina.
And I am using version 12 from the download directory.

rg66

#823 Post by rg66 »

8-bit wrote:Without going through the entire thread, I have to ask if there is an easy way to go back to using single-click with my mouse.
Currently, some things work with single click, and some require double-click in Carolina.
And I am using version 12 from the download directory.
The desktop is set for single click, to change this right click on the desktop > Desktop settings > icons tab > uncheck Single click to activate items.

Thunar is set for double click, to change this open thunar > Edit > Preferences > Behavior tab > choose sinlge or double click.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

8-bit

#824 Post by 8-bit »

Sorry! :oops: I posted in the wrong thread.
I was using Luki 12.
I reposted there.

rg66

#825 Post by rg66 »

It's ok, Saluki will be the same.

rg66

007rc5

#826 Post by rg66 »

Carolina-007-rc5 has been released. A few apps have been updated and samba-tng-sfs "Simple File Sharing" has been added to easily share folders. See the bottom of this page for more info. Thanks to rcrsn51 for samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1

Change log and download link are in the first post.
Attachments
Carolina007rc5.jpg
(46.22 KiB) Downloaded 929 times
Last edited by rg66 on Tue 16 Jul 2013, 18:38, edited 3 times in total.

don570

yaf-splash

#827 Post by don570 »

Did you update yaf-splash so it supports

Code: Select all

yaf-splash  -close never -text zzz
I didn't see that on list of improvements.

Geoffrey

Re: yaf-splash

#828 Post by Geoffrey »

don570 wrote:Did you update yaf-splash so it supports

yaf-splash  -close never -text zzz
I didn't see that on list of improvements.

RT2800 wireless

I have been unable to get a wireless usb dongle to work that shows as rt2800usb, this needs the rt3070sta kernel driver,
I have compiled this driver, now the device works.

Install rt3070sta-2.5.0.3-3.2.13-ski.pet then reboot your computer,
frisbee should now find the wireless device, which in my case shows as ra0, please report if this fixes your problem.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rg66

#829 Post by rg66 »

Carolina-007-rc5-non-pae delta has been uploaded. Change log and links are in the first post.

inoxidabile

#830 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody !
I follow Carolina development, it was so good since I tested the earlier release and then it wlll become surely amazing thanks to the improvements of all rc ! :)
About this, I would recall a behavior related to programs who take some time to start.
E.g. when I start Firefox there are no signs of activities for 7, 8 sometimes also 10 seconds.
So, any user could think that the related processes aren't running, with consequent "temptation" of click again on that icon :?
Maybe I'm the only one having this feel, but, maybe, it could be possible to show "something" in order to show that something is running (such as a little animated icon).

rg66

#831 Post by rg66 »

inoxidabile wrote:About this, I would recall a behavior related to programs who take some time to start.
E.g. when I start Firefox there are no signs of activities for 7, 8 sometimes also 10 seconds.

Maybe I'm the only one having this feel, but, maybe, it could be possible to show "something" in order to show that something is running (such as a little animated icon).
Run this from the terminal

firefox | notify-send -t 5000 "Firefox" "firefox is starting"
If that's what you are looking for you can add it to the firefox .desktop file in /usr/applications.

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox
Comment=Web Browser
Icon=firefox
Exec=sh -c 'firefox | notify-send -t 5000 "Firefox" "firefox is starting"'
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
Type=Application
Categories=WebBrowser
GenericName=Firefox
NoDisplay=false
The panel icon will have to be deleted an re-created for it to work for that one as far as I know.

Marv

#832 Post by Marv »

inoxidabile wrote: About this, I would recall a behavior related to programs who take some time to start.
So, any user could think that the related processes aren't running, with consequent "temptation" of click again on that icon :?
Just changing the StartupNotify=false line in the firefox.desktop file to StartupNotify=true should give an hourglass or spinning ball etc at the cursor when starting. I do this in my opera desktop. Just checked, works fine for ff.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

HiDeHo

#833 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi all am i to expect that this Carolina is the current version of saluki.

if so i will test and install it. hopefully you will fix the problem with chrome browser later than version 12 not working.

finally i am glad to see that saluki is not completely done away with.

inoxidabile

#834 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi rg66, hi Marv,
Thank You for the suggestions :) I tried both!
The one form Marv is nice but the indicator has a strange behaviour, it go on with the "circle running" even if Firefox is present and after about three seconds it returns the normal arrow only if I move it out of the Firefox window... however it stops just a couple of secons later and then it isn't a problem.
The solution from rg66 is nice and maybe a little bit better for my needs, because it's a more visible and clear alert.
Moreover it's interesting because - maybe - it could be used also for other apps having the same problem.
Unfortunately I tried it (e.g. with LibreOffice) with a similar command but without success after the modification of the related file in /usr/share/application :oops:
Maybe it's due to the need of recreate the menu entry, similar as for the panel icon for Firefox :?

Oh, just an other little note: if I try to change the datetime in the clock on panel, using the "set time" in Control Panel, the value often doesn't change unless I restart Xwin or sometimes changes after a while...
However, this isn't a great problem :)

Let me say once again that Carolina is great and this is a great forum! :D

irishrm

#835 Post by irishrm »

Hi guys,

Did a usb install.

Just to let you know that rc5 is up and running well, including the wl driver.

One problem I have only come across recently with both rc4 and rc5 is that youtube videos streamed full-screen continually freeze for a few seconds at a time.

This happens in both firefox and chrome.

This is unusual for this computer which is quite adequate for the task.

irishrm.

rg66

#836 Post by rg66 »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi all am i to expect that this Carolina is the current version of saluki.

if so i will test and install it. hopefully you will fix the problem with chrome browser later than version 12 not working.

finally i am glad to see that saluki is not completely done away with.
Carolina is a fork of Saluki, meaning it is based on it but not a current version of it. Currently, Saluki development has stopped.

Unfortunately, the Chrome issue cannot be fixed.

gcmartin

#837 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @RG66.
I saw your Firefox post on this thread.

Barry posted on his blog about changes with SeaMonkey and was wondering if that effort applies to Firefox. in Carolina. Double de-compression may NOT apply here, but, Just wondering

rg66

#838 Post by rg66 »

gcmartin wrote:Hi @RG66.
I saw your Firefox post on this thread.

Barry posted on his blog about changes with SeaMonkey and was wondering if that effort applies to Firefox. in Carolina. Double de-compression may NOT apply here, but, Just wondering
Well, i gave it a try and pupzip gave an "archive format not recognized" error so i tried unzip from cli. It seemed to extract but didn't so I used winrar in Windows which worked.

Did the # cd omnidir # zip -0 -y -R ../newomni '*' stuff and got a 26.8 mb zip file which I renamed omni.ja, backed up the one in FF folder and tried it out.

It's really hard to say if it's faster or not, didn't seem to be on first run after a boot. You'll have to try it out and decide for yourself.

Dromeno

minor problems

#839 Post by Dromeno »

I think XBMC is better offered as sfs so it becomes easier to update. A couple of channels (TED Talks, HowStuffWorks, Icefilms,perhaps more) already stopped working in XBMC 11, I guess you need 12.2 to have these working but it is not in the repo yet.

In another thread I am trying to get PPLOG working
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86326

the aim is to run a simple blog website which is visible to the web from within Carolina (lite)

but this has some problems of its own. PPLOG is visible in the package manager but does not install. Efiabruni's hacked version leads to an internal server error.

HiDeHo

#840 Post by HiDeHo »

elroy wrote:
darkcity wrote:Is Carolina compatible with other distro repositories? Like Upup, Spup or Dpups?
Carolina is almost totally compatible with Saluki, save for the xfce things, and wary5.
ok so what is different about the xfce and wary5 then. just doing my research before i jump into yet another puppy os.

i like saluki and am sad it is no longer being developed. why do all the good puppy os do that lighthouse and now saluki. at least the lighthouse website is still up and running with its last os for anyone wanting to use it its not maintained but still available.