Puppylinux on Phone/Tablets: the definitive thread

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
qkall

#41 Post by qkall »

I wasn't talking about Ubuntu touch I meant the desktop builds

greengeek

#42 Post by greengeek »

nooby wrote:to be able to use Android as if it where Puppy Linux.
to be the Boss instead the slave of Android.
Yes - the ability to remove any app or function that I didn't want, and the ability to add any app or function that I DID want - now that is the essence of what I believe Puppy Linux gives me.

To be the Boss, instead of the Slave. Well put nooby.

stiginge

#43 Post by stiginge »

Is it possible to access the memory on my android smartphone from a computer running puppy? I've tried and no smartphone drive shows in pmount on reboot after plugging in my smartphone via usb...
Buy silver, crash JPMorgan

qkall

#44 Post by qkall »

to clarify - ubuntu 13.04 is quite fleshed out for the nexus 7 at this point and doesn't rely on android but rather ubuntu-arm repos. that said couldn't you build woof?

http://imgur.com/a/PRH0j

Q5sys

#45 Post by Q5sys »

qkall wrote:to clarify - ubuntu 13.04 is quite fleshed out for the nexus 7 at this point and doesn't rely on android but rather ubuntu-arm repos. that said couldn't you build woof?

Hmm... I was unware of that, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll have to look into it further. But as I said previously, even if it was created. What benefit does Puppy give you over Ubuntu?

Q5sys

#46 Post by Q5sys »

stiginge wrote:Is it possible to access the memory on my android smartphone from a computer running puppy? I've tried and no smartphone drive shows in pmount on reboot after plugging in my smartphone via usb...
You can if you turn on USB storage mode on your smartphone. However newer smartphones have a special mode that allows the SD card to be accessed by the phone and Computer at the same time. I dont know if Puppy has this or not.
However Puppy CANNOT access the internal memory of the phone.
You can however root your phone and then remove any apps you want. You can also at that point reconfigure your system in any way you choose, down to changing kernel and boot options.
Once your phone is rooted, you can do anything you want. Including turning it into a very expensive paperweight, so be careful!

stiginge

#47 Post by stiginge »

the phone is a sony xperia J

Q5sys

#48 Post by Q5sys »

stiginge wrote:the phone is a sony xperia J
I don't know anything about that phone so I can't really help you there. You could go over to the XDA developers forum and see if you can find out information about how your phones USB mass storage system works. With that someon here might be able to help.

nooby

#49 Post by nooby »

I am total noob so I should keep my big mouth shut.

But I got curious on what you write here.
stiginge wrote:
Is it possible to access the memory on my android smartphone from a computer running puppy? I've tried and no smartphone drive shows in pmount on reboot after plugging in my smartphone via usb...
Depends on what you mean. I ahve two smarphones I use daily.
Nokia and Sony Xperian mini with keyboard as a slide out.

I could access the internal memory and copy over pictures
and load videoclips and delete things no problem.

I use the standard cable that is used for charging the Xperia.

So don't give up you only need to get the hang on how it is done.
Unfortunately I can not describe it but it was super easy when I found out by trial and error.

You use Rox with one to open the icon that is the Xperia
and the other Rox with the folder directory you want to copy to or
copy from. So do a bit of trial and error and suddenly you know how it works
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stiginge

#50 Post by stiginge »

ok nooby thanks for that, i'll try it tomorrow

stiginge

#51 Post by stiginge »

The phone is asking me to install 'pc companion'. When I select ok, a new sr1 drive shows up on pmount, but there are only files and folders related to pc companion there and nothing else. When I choose 'skip' for the pc companion software, I get nothing and no drive for phone in pmount.

Semme

#52 Post by Semme »

As Q5 has stated- Puppy CANNOT access the internal memory of the phone.

If there's a removable memory card you're trying to access, that's different.

stiginge

#53 Post by stiginge »

ya, that's what I'm trying to access dude, the removable memory card. I don't want to have to remove the case from the phone, remove the card and then place the card in the card-reader every time.

Semme

#54 Post by Semme »

Good job 'Dude'.. now we're all on the same page.

==

So long as "CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y" was compiled into Luci, she should go.

Are you able to copy the entire folder over to your hard drive?

Is Xperia J ST26a/i your exact phone?

==

Do this again, open a shell. Load: dmesg > dmesg.txt

Then: gzip dmesg.txt and upload as an attachment.

stiginge

#55 Post by stiginge »

ST 26i
Attachments
dmesg.txt.gz
(7.94 KiB) Downloaded 703 times

Semme

#56 Post by Semme »

Prior to running dmesg, did you confirm sr1 being listed by Pmount?

stiginge

#57 Post by stiginge »

no i didnt confirm it

Semme

#58 Post by Semme »

Hey- 'dude' of few words.. This thread, and namely this post list a few suggestions. Mind you won't be able to install libmtp or mtpfs cause you're dealing with a broken PM. Whether she'd work after those installs I can only guess. Here's one other page using- Samba? Wow!).

In a seperate instance, I thought you should load your phone after running these two as well:

Code: Select all

modprobe tifm_core
modprobe tifm_sd
If your box lights up, dump:

lsusb
Try. Include the Android version and confirm what was done when responding..

In the meantime- I'll see if I can dig up Luci's kernel config..

Ah, for you'ta run. Return the item in caps- you're OK.

grep CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y /usr/src/linux-2.6.37.6/.config
OK, so long as the line inside *isn't* commented.

qkall

#59 Post by qkall »

Q5sys wrote:
qkall wrote:to clarify - ubuntu 13.04 is quite fleshed out for the nexus 7 at this point and doesn't rely on android but rather ubuntu-arm repos. that said couldn't you build woof?

Hmm... I was unware of that, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll have to look into it further. But as I said previously, even if it was created. What benefit does Puppy give you over Ubuntu?

to answer this i was more just adding an option to the thread... but i mean presumably you would want puppy over ubuntu for speed . the nexus only has a 1gig ram which runs ubuntu fine but it would fly with puppy. i've tried ldxe/xfce/kde/e17/ and of course unity on the nexus ... unity is the most comfortable for the tablet... but yeah at the end of the day it's options :)

Q5sys

#60 Post by Q5sys »

qkall wrote:
Q5sys wrote:

to answer this i was more just adding an option to the thread... but i mean presumably you would want puppy over ubuntu for speed . the nexus only has a 1gig ram which runs ubuntu fine but it would fly with puppy. i've tried ldxe/xfce/kde/e17/ and of course unity on the nexus ... unity is the most comfortable for the tablet... but yeah at the end of the day it's options :)
You can trim ubuntu down alot if you manually choose certain software options. So that is another route someone can go. Since the main functionality for Puppy is lost due to the tablet form factor, the closest you could come is a Ubuntu install with the same applications. It still wouldnt be puppy, but it'd be alot faster than the stock ubuntu image!