re: grub from the ground up

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
muggins

#21 Post by muggins »

as grub can use memdisk.bin to boot a smart boot manager floppy image, (sbootmgr.dsk), in order to boot a cdrom disk,
i'm curious if it can similarly use memdisk to boot an image of pakt's wakepuppy, then boot from usb.

this entry in menu.lst:
title wakepup
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/grub/memdisk.bin
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/grub/WKPUP202.IMG
,boots the floppy image and gets me to the dos A:\ prompt, however not having a usbkey set up to boot i'm not sure how this last stage would go.

pakt

#22 Post by pakt »

Yes, this works fine and was discussed on the forum some time back. I have used it successfully on an old T20 Thinkpad laptop to boot Puppy from USB.

BTW, WKPUP202.IMG will even work compressed, ie, WKPUP202.IMG.gz

Paul

muggins

#23 Post by muggins »

paul,

that's good to know. do you recall if it was using memdisk to boot the image?

cheers
muggins

pakt

#24 Post by pakt »

muggins wrote: that's good to know. do you recall if it was using memdisk to boot the image?
Yes, that's what I meant. I probably still have the exact code I used somewhere on a hard disk...

pakt

#25 Post by pakt »

muggins, I managed to find this old thread where I suggested using memdisk and WakePup on the Puppy CD: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3490

I believe BarryK added this to isoconfig.sys on some Puppy 1.xx CDs, but he never actually added memdisk.bin or wakepup.img.gz. I guess he forgot about adding the files and there didn't seem to be any demand for that idea.

Probably wasn't such a good idea anyway ... after all if you need to boot from CD to boot from USB, you might as well just boot the CD and use a USB pen to store your data instead of booting from it... :?

Paul