LazY Puppy 2.0.2 Final - a Paradise Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
AndyOpie150

#621 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Hetejas: I had the same problem. Use the Universal Installer found in the PET Install program. The Icon is in the favorites page on the desktop.
This is the best Puppy out there, once you get used to the concept. I just have 6 of the most important SFS files loaded (you can add more just read all post from where I start asking R-S-H questions, he mentions a script to use). I have all of the SFS files from the "Quick-SFS" program in the same directory of my Flash Drive where the StArtLPx2.202.sfs is. Which is where you put the other files.
It doesn't have Gparted so I went to the repo/single files and downloaded from there.
In the Utility section there is a program called "Resize personal storage file". When your save file starts to get full you can add more space. 2048MB being the most at one time, with 3.9GB total size for the save file being the most.

R-S-H: I did find an FBReader 0.12.10 that works, here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=32056
Still hoping for some indication on the best Calibre as FBReader sucks.

I noticed you forgot to post the Java jdk_6u45 in an sfs form? I have the Java jdk_6u45 downloaded put haven't figured out the best way to convert a Squashfs file, to many different tutorials out there. Could you post a link to a decent one? And how to set the "Class Path" to the java.exe in LazyPuppy. I would still like to at least get the Android SDK and APK-Multi-Tool up and running.

EDIT: Wow! I just noticed my phone is still at 100% charge will using the hotspot feature for over 2 hours. I've been using LazY Puppy the whole time.

I usually use the power from the computer via the USB cord (with it draped around the front of the computer) because this setup seem to help pull in the week signal from the tower better, but it usually means the battery will drain slowly as the power from the computer is not sufficient to keep it fully charged when using my Xubuntu distro.
Yet another reason to like LazY Puppy.

Hetejas

#622 Post by Hetejas »

Thanks Andy.
You might be using a different version than mine.
I have GPARTED and no FAVORITES folder.

Did I read you correctly in that you are using Lazy Puppy as a hotspot ?

AndyOpie150

#623 Post by AndyOpie150 »

No. I'm using my phone as a hotspot.
I'm using 2.0.2 Final which only has Pdisk.
Favorites is a desktop page. On the bar in the upper part of the desktop you will see a Star. That's for the favorite page. I'm sure Quick-SFS is in the menu as well.
I loaded all the SFS from there and then unloaded. This gave me a huge selection of programs in the menu.

R-S-H

#624 Post by R-S-H »

I want to try this version running from USB so I downloaded the distro, burned a CD and booted up using the CD.
I did the install to a USB drive and upon rebooting it goes into an endless loop with :
Hetejas: I had the same problem.
Ok, you are the only two users who posted this issue. I will check this, burning a CD, booting from CD and trying to install from CD. I don't have a CD drive at my home computer, so I could only test this by booting/installing from USB. Must do this on another location, which might take some days.
It doesn't have Gparted so I went to the repo/single files and downloaded from there.
You might be using a different version than mine.
I have GPARTED and no FAVORITES folder.
Yes, GParted should be installed, since it is in the original Lucid and I didn't remove this. It should be somewhere in a sub-menu of menu workstation. Everything from Desktop, Setup and System in other puppies you'll find in menu workstation and its sub-menus in LazY Puppy.
This is the best Puppy out there, once you get used to the concept.
Yes, it is different to other puppies.
with 3.9GB total size for the save file being the most.
Yes, this is because of the FAT32 filesystem used on USB flash.
I noticed you forgot to post the Java jdk_6u45 in an sfs form?
No, I did not forget. I did just give this a go but did not upload a file. Usually I do use the JAVA files from forum system to make LazY Puppy SFS files from.
I have the Java jdk_6u45 downloaded put haven't figured out the best way to convert a Squashfs file, to many different tutorials out there.
You downloaded the jre-1.6u45-i586.sfs?

Just rename it to LP2_jre-1.6u45-i586.sfs, do a right-click onto it and choose Convert to LazY Puppy. The rest is self-explaining while doing. No need to add SFS dependencies.

You downloaded the jre-1.6u45-i586.pet?

Do a right click onto it (don't rename) and choose SFS-Installer.

You can use this SFS file as dependency on other SFS files that might need JAVA by doing a right-click onto such SFS file and choosing Add Dependencies. When running the Program from such SFS by a created RunScript, the JAVA will load automatically. RunScript? Do a right-click onto SFS ... ... ...

Forget the tutorials out there. Just do a right-click on a file and/or directory and look for its offered options. Will mostly do the job - except for some of your very special needs.
And how to set the "Class Path" to the java.exe in LazyPuppy. I would still like to at least get the Android SDK and APK-Multi-Tool up and running.
Sorry, but I don't know this. The JAVA developer should know this. I think this is equal or similar in puppies.
Yet another reason to like LazY Puppy.
Thanks. I think you'll find some more - from time to time.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

AndyOpie150

#625 Post by AndyOpie150 »

I'll double check the CD first chance I get. It should be right there with Pdisk. I sure didn't see it before.

I need the JDK (Java Development Kit), not just the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). This I downloaded straight from Oracle's web site and need to convert to a Squashfs file.
It's path to the java.exe I need to set up in the bash/bashrc file?
I just used the Windows speak to try the best I could to communicate what I needed to acomplish.

From there the Android SDK and APK-Multi-Tool (which is placed in a folder in the SDK) are sort of stand alone programs.
Setting up the adb.exe globally just makes things easier on me later on.

R-S-H

#626 Post by R-S-H »

Ok,

here is the LP2_jdk1.6.0_45.sfs to download.

To set path for JAVA classes etc. please, go ask in the JAVA thread - I can't tell anything on that. You might need to edit the SFS to solve this. Do a right-click onto the SFS and choose SFS-Edit to edit the SFS.

AndyOpie150

#627 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Thank you.
Didn't know about the java thread. Will definitely check it out.

R-S-H

#628 Post by R-S-H »

R-S-H

#629 Post by R-S-H »

RSH wrote:
Hetejas wrote:I want to try this version running from USB so I downloaded the distro, burned a CD and booted up using the CD.
I did the install to a USB drive and upon rebooting it goes into an endless loop with :
AndyOpie150 wrote:Hetejas: I had the same problem.
Ok, you are the only two users who posted this issue. I will check this, burning a CD, booting from CD and trying to install from CD. I don't have a CD drive at my home computer, so I could only test this by booting/installing from USB. Must do this on another location, which might take some days.
Hi.

I don't know if this still is of any interest, but I gave it a try and here are the results:

- burned the LazYPuppy-202-EN-005.iso to a CD
- booted the computer using this CD
- mounted the CD manually (left-click onto CD drive icon, CD not removed from drive)
- used the Install to USB Flash from desktop
- activated option to install all files from CD (ticked the check box)
- started installing LazY Puppy to USB flash

After a few minutes the USB flash drive was formatted and all files has been installed onto the USB flash drive. Booted the computer successfully from this USB flash drive after shut down.

Sorry Guys, but it seems you did not mount the CD drive or did remove the CD from drive before installing LazY Puppy - probably? :?:

Please, keep in mind: installing and remastering LazY Puppy needs to mount the boot partition (or boot drive) manually first!

Thanks,

RSH

AndyOpie150

#630 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Ooops! Doh!
Gotcha.
Thanks again.
Thanks for the link as well.

R-S-H

#631 Post by R-S-H »

Ok,

as promised: here is the LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005 100-SFS-Files initrd.gz. Just rename the file to initrd.gz after download and copy to your LazY Puppy boot directory (please, make sure, there's a backup of the original file) - should work.

AndyOpie150

#632 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Thanks for posting download.
I already backed up everything in sdb1

Note: I used the other Flash Drive and booted into the LazY Puppy CD. Mounted the CD drive and used the provided installer from the desktop. Worked great.
I don't know how I missed the part about mounting the CD the first time?
I won't forget that ever again.

Edit: Swapped initrd.gz files. Booted up no problem.

R-S-H

#633 Post by R-S-H »

Hello.

Yesterday I discovered a bug in sfs_load 1.9.7 which is used in my private version 3 of LazY Puppy. So I wanted to go back to this combination from LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005 which is a modified version of sfs_load 1.3.9 and original sfs_load 1.9.4 - but: 1.9.4 also has this bug.

The bug is not to load sfs files from around 300 MB and up. it loads a 283 MB sfs file fine and usable but it fails to load a 308 MB sfs file completely - modified version of 1.3.9 does!

LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005 is configured to use modified sfs_load 1.3.9 by default when creating RunScripts (I don't know why, but until release of LazY Puppy 2.0.2-005 it seems I didn't trust the whole thing completely :lol: )

So, if one is creating RunScripts for the use of such big sfs files, make sure to deactivate option for the use of sfs_load 1.9.x. Shinobar is informed and fixed version is surely right on the way.
AndyOpie150 wrote:Thanks for posting download.
I already backed up everything in sdb1

Note: I used the other Flash Drive and booted into the LazY Puppy CD. Mounted the CD drive and used the provided installer from the desktop. Worked great.
I don't know how I missed the part about mounting the CD the first time?
I won't forget that ever again.

Edit: Swapped initrd.gz files. Booted up no problem.
Good to know. Thanks

RSH

shinobar

Re: LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs

#634 Post by shinobar »

R-S-H wrote:Yesterday I discovered a bug in sfs_load 1.9.7.
I guess the cause is the permission of the LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs. See the deatail:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 680#707680
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

R-S-H

#635 Post by R-S-H »

Thank you, shinobar - details here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 716#707716

Yes, it has been the permissions of the LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs file. After re-packaging it with the right permissions, it loads fine.

I can not upload the new LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs within this month, maybe in July of 2013. So, if anyone uses the LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs and want to use the sfs_load 1.9.4 or 1.9.9 (now available) to load the LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs by a RunScript, he/she should do the following (thanks to rcrsn51for the solution):

1. Copy the LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs to a ext partition with at least 3 GB free space
2. Open a terminal and type cd /mnt/your-ext-partition-here (example: /mnt/sdc2)
3. Unpack the LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs with: unsquashfs LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs (type in terminal)
4. Change the owner with: chown root:root squashfs-root (type in terminal)
5. Change the permissions with: chmod 755 squashfs-root (type in terminal)
6. Rebuild the SFS with: mksquashfs squashfs-root New_LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs
7. Rename New_LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs to LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs and copy to its original location

RSH

AndyOpie150

#636 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Thanks for info.
Question: Are you doing this in Lazy Puppy or some other linux disto?
I have an empty flash drive I can format to ext.3, but what disto to use? I have Lazy Puppy, Xubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.04 on a CD as well as Knoppix.

R-S-H

#637 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

For about now 16 months I do everything in LazY Puppy!

AndyOpie150

#638 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Thats what I was hoping you would say.

Edit: Followed instructions, worked fine.
I checked old files properties for comparison to see if everything worked. File size was same, but, so was the listed permissions (rwxr-xr-x)? Looks like The old one was at least being seen as 755???

Question (hope I don't drive you crazy): Are you still going to come out with Lazy Puppy 3.0.

R-S-H

#639 Post by R-S-H »

AndyOpie150 wrote:Thats what I was hoping you would say.

Edit: Followed instructions, worked fine.
I checked old files properties for comparison to see if everything worked. File size was same, but, so was the listed permissions (rwxr-xr-x)? Looks like The old one was at least being seen as 755???

Question (hope I don't drive you crazy): Are you still going to come out with Lazy Puppy 3.0.
Hi.

I think the real problem on Lazarus SFS wasn't the 755 permissions. It was the ownership of the files inside the SFS. That's why it was needed to unpack the SFS and to change the ownership inside the temporary directory containing the SFS files (which was "squashfs-root") - command used: chown root:root squashfs-root. The original file should have had already permissions of 755.

LazY Puppy 3?

I had to cancel LazY Puppy 3 ADRV Version because of unsolvable (for me) problems when unloading sfs files - anything else had worked fine, until unloading an sfs.

Never mind. Since LazY Puppy is already a well and full featured SFS Puppy, there's no need to have ADRV options in LazY Puppy. So, I decided to cancel this and have removed all files from HD - also the backup files to avoid myself to waste more time on this.

If you could handle LazY Puppy with German User Interface, you could try this one: http://smokey01.com/RSH/LazY-Puppy/Temp ... 006-83.iso, which is quite close to my LazY Puppy 3 version (except the size) - but, even remastering to an English version will keep some German language settings and some programs might not run because of incomplete EN locales.

Currently I don't have time to build everything with complete English locales etc.pp. so, I can't say anything if there will be a LazY Puppy 3 for anyone else but me. Time will tell, we will see...

I hope you will enjoy LazY Puppy though.

LazY Puppy 3 e17 Screenshot!

AndyOpie150

#640 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Thanks for the info and all your hard work to make this Puppy.