Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
badrra

Look What Saluki Puppy Did to my Desktop

#3721 Post by badrra »

This is not MAC or Windows its Puppy Saluki

canin

#3722 Post by canin »

(for scanning, peasyscan is working really well)

since the saluki-page is down, will the repo stay online (of pets and isos on smokey01.com/saluki)?

smokey01

#3723 Post by smokey01 »

Yes, for the time being anyway.

8-bit

#3724 Post by 8-bit »

I have a Toshiba laptop with 4 gigs memory and AMD dual core processor currently running Win 7.
The WIFI is RTL8192 and last I checked only the CE version is part of the kernel.
So will I have to compile a driver for my WIFI card?
Where do I get the kernel source and devx SFS files for use with Saluki?
I had a very old version of Saluki and am currently downloading number 12 which should be the latest.
I have ran earlier versions of Puppy on that laptop and used a Win 2000 driver with ndiswrapper since I did not have the source code for the driver (updated).
The linux driver for Puppy seemed to have problems of loosing connection.

I saw some SFS files on jeminah/saluki/isos, but the latest one shown was back for version 8 and I do not know if it still applies.

smokey01

#3725 Post by smokey01 »

canin

#3726 Post by canin »

thanks a lot for your answer, smokey01!

8-bit

#3727 Post by 8-bit »

First, thank you Smokey.
Second, I mistakenly posted my question in the Carolina thread and will repeat it here.
Is there an easy way to go back to the Puppy standard of using one-click for everything?
Currently some things work with one-click and others require two clicks.

Also, how to change desktop icon display from the default vertical to horizontal display on the desktop?

HiDeHo

#3728 Post by HiDeHo »

It sis a shame that Jemmiah is no longer working on saluki. so what is to become of this excellent operating system. the website www.saluki-linux.com is no longer active.
will is suffer the same fate as lighthouse pup click here seems that LHP website is still up and running.

i guess with linux all good things dont last, especially with an os like puppy many versions come and go.

so what is happening to saluki. anyone able to let us know. Thanks and live long and Linux.

smokey01

#3729 Post by smokey01 »

LHP is alive and well. 601 has recently been released.

TTW

Saluki site and forum

#3730 Post by TTW »

HiDeHo wrote:It sis a shame that Jemmiah is no longer working on saluki. so what is to become of this excellent operating system. the website www.saluki-linux.com is no longer active.
will is suffer the same fate as lighthouse pup click here seems that LHP website is still up and running.

i guess with linux all good things dont last, especially with an os like puppy many versions come and go.

so what is happening to saluki. anyone able to let us know. Thanks and live long and Linux.
Seems Saluki-linux.com domain has now been bought by someone capitalising on the previous traffic there.

I love Saluki and think it is an excellent operating system. If there is still interest in it then I am willing to contribute. The problem is I haven't got a clue about anything on the development side, I still struggle to remember what the A drive and Z drive do :(

What I will do if there is enough interest is set up a new forum.

Smokey can you keep the repository open and available?
Anyone interested in this then please send me a PM

smokey01

#3731 Post by smokey01 »

No plans to close the repository.

TTW

#3732 Post by TTW »

smokey01 wrote:No plans to close the repository.
Thanks Smokey

mikeslr

Saluki vs. Carolina

#3733 Post by mikeslr »

Hi TTW,

I'm not sure that Saluki has any advantage over Carolina. Carolina was creatively based on Saluki rather than continuing the Saluki thread after jemimah went her separate way. Carolina is maintained and still being updated. But if you're interested, as many (all?) of the applications build for Saluki ran in the early versions of Carolina, I suspect that many new applications for Carolina may also work in Saluki, albeit installation would lack the "missing libs and dependencies" checking from designated repos which make both Saluki and Carolina excellent pups for personal customization.
Perhaps the one advantage Saluki has over Carolina is that Saluki's ISO is smaller. However, 'lina-lite, a minimum version of Carolina is even smaller than Saluki.
One way to make sense of the great strengths of either Saluki or Carolina --their adrive and custom builder-- is to do a well-minded search, http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html using the terms "Saluki builder", "Saluki adrive" "Carolina builder" and "Carolina adrive", and then read the posts: queries and responses. Probably the most extensive discussions took place in the beginning of the threads.

mikesLr

efiabruni

truecrypt pet error

#3734 Post by efiabruni »

I'm using Saluki023, and have installed truecrypt from the package manager and crested a volume, but when I tried to mount it got the error:
No such file or directory: dmsetup
According to duckduckgo it seems to be a kernel component?
How do I add it to Saluki?

Ray MK

#3735 Post by Ray MK »

Just done a manual frugal to an ext3 partition on my 10yr old Acer laptop.

What a truly outstanding OS this is. Everything runs so well and fast. An absolute masterpiece.

And - a massive thank you smokey01, for keeping the repo going - what a treasure chest your site is - much appreciated.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

smokey01

#3736 Post by smokey01 »

You're welcome Ray.

sean.r

google voice and video chat

#3737 Post by sean.r »

Hi.
Does anyone know how to install google voice and video chat in Saluki?

http://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hang ... nload.html

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chat/voice/

Geoffrey

Re: google voice and video chat

#3738 Post by Geoffrey »

sean.r wrote:Hi.
Does anyone know how to install google voice and video chat in Saluki?

http://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hang ... nload.html

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chat/voice/
The glibc is to old to support it, I've tried, though I did get it to sort of work hacking the files, but that can break other things, I'll have another look and see what I can do..
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

TangMo

I will have to switch languages ​​with the grave accent.

#3739 Post by TangMo »

I will have to switch languages ​​with the grave accent. thank you very much

Pelo

Saluki 013 on scene. test Xnoise

#3740 Post by Pelo »

Frisbee connects to my wireless public network perfect. Go on, old distros are experienced enough to beat the new ones. :D
Midori tient le coup. Flashplayer à installer. firefox 10.0.02 called for Help. Midori 0.43 was a little bit weak. Testing Youtube now. Image and audio: that's Ok.
OSMO
# osmo
osmo: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by osmo)
osmo: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so.0)
osmo: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so.0)
sh: play: command not found
Attachments
saluki.jpg
OSMO runs in spite of errors (via terminal)
(56.91 KiB) Downloaded 1587 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.