Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Jul 2014, 09:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
MouseCam Pups (V6 released 20th June 2013)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
ETP

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2013, 08:48    Post subject:  MouseCam Pups (V6 released 20th June 2013)
Subject description: (A pup controlled solely by head movement for the severely disabled)

This Pup came about as a by-product of the request for a Pup operated by a “single switch” detailed in the following thread which has to date, resulted in the production of a number of such Pups.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84617

For disabled users who can cope with either solution this Pup provides a choice with easier navigation. Voice search and dictation are provided. An on-screen keyboard is accessible via Eviacam when needed. Its size and screen position are easily adjustable from within Eviacam if required. Great emphasis is placed on using the tools and easy targets that Google apps and extensions provide.
(Edit: V6 also includes voice mail and a subsequent post covers the addition of text to speech)

It is based on a re-master of the recently released Precise Puppy 5.6.1 (k 3.3.44)

Items Removed from original build:

Most desktop icons. (Replaced with custom scripts & icons that provide easy targets together with buttons to facilitate navigation)
Seamonkey.
Gnumeric.
Homebank.
Abiword.

Items added: (Thanks to bolded forum members)

eviacam_precise-ver1.6.0.pet
xbmc-12.2_frodo.pet (Based on sfs produced by 666philb)
google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb (27.0.1453.93-Pre-configured for speed & accessibility)
google-chrome-fixator-0.0.1.pet (pemasu)
PupControl-2.3.pet (radky)
xdotool-2.20110530.1-3 (Stu90)
xvkbd-3.2.pet (Iguleder)
Pupclockset-1.9.2 (radky)
cursor_themes.pet (large white set as default)

Setup Procedure:

1. Complete the normal "first-run" dialogues then reboot and create a 512 MEG Ext4 savefile.

2. If you are using an LCD display, launch Fontwizard from the JWM/desktop menu, tick all boxes & then click on apply. Restart X.

3. Launch Gmail via Chrome and setup an account if you do not possess one.

4. Launch Eviacam and follow the instructions. Some pre-configuration has already been done. Make sure that you study its very good included help.

Where to obtain the ISO: (273 MB)

The ISO and MD5 are to be found here:
http://www.mydrive.ch
Guest login name = maddog@puppy4
Password= maddog

NOTES & TIPS:

1. If new to computing, leave the setup of XBMC to someone familiar with it or make it your first Google voice search mission to learn all about it.

2. When using the browser it is best to leave the navigation buttons exposed at the top of the screen. (See screenshot) Paging through forums, news sites or search results is then really easy.
image-1.jpg
 Description   Choices when Chrome is launched
 Filesize   37.55 KB
 Viewed   1762 Time(s)

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg
 Description   Eviacam plus weather app
 Filesize   72.35 KB
 Viewed   1737 Time(s)

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg
 Description   Dictation and on-screen keyboard
 Filesize   48.45 KB
 Viewed   1742 Time(s)

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg
 Description   Easy navigation buttons
 Filesize   68.95 KB
 Viewed   1719 Time(s)

image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg
 Description   xbmc playing 1080p trailer
 Filesize   45.92 KB
 Viewed   1755 Time(s)

image-5.jpg

Last edited by ETP on Sat 17 Aug 2013, 02:05; edited 5 times in total
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2013, 17:02    Post subject: Appreciation for your efforts  

Hi ETP,

Although I did not try your pup yet, I want to say thank you for your efforts in helping the severely disabled to have full access to the possibilities computers can bring them.

Quite curious how well it is received by them.

Would it be an idea to submit it in Distrowatch ?

Nancy Reagan
R-S-H

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2013, 17:22    Post subject:  

EDIT:

Oh, sorry. I did not see the Guest Login Option.

ETP

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jun 2013, 04:34    Post subject: Re: Appreciation for your efforts  

nancy reagan wrote:
Hi ETP,

Although I did not try your pup yet, I want to say thank you for your efforts in helping the severely disabled to have full access to the possibilities computers can bring them.

Quite curious how well it is received by them.

Would it be an idea to submit it in Distrowatch ?

Nancy Reagan

Hi Nancy Reagan,

The Pups operated by a “single switch” were very much a team effort with the major contribution coming from SFR in the form of his Radar pet.
We have as yet, received very little feedback. I am not sure whether this is a good or bad sign.

I hope at least, that this Pup proves worthy of addition to the Accessibility list on puppylinux.org.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Accessibility

Magoo Pups V5 & V6 together with greengeek’s “SwitchPup” also need adding.

www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82607

www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85466

ETP

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:47    Post subject: MouseCam Pup v5
Subject description: Released 4th June 2013

The above is now available for download from my server. The main change is the addition of an auto-hiding navigation panel on the right hand side of the screen.

It includes additional icons to simplify navigation with in particular, extra icons for minimise and restore. The panel hides if an application is run full screen. To then invoke the panel, move the cursor into the top right hand corner of the screen or the bottom right hand corner just above the taskbar. This method avoids false triggers.

It is probably best to get used to the various options for navigation using an ordinary mouse before using Eviacam. Please note also that Eviacam can, once launched, be disabled and enabled using the Scroll Lock key.

Edit 7th June 2013:
MouseCam Pup v5 is now also available for download from here:

http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ETP/
v5.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   37.37 KB
 Viewed   1470 Time(s)

v5.jpg

Last edited by ETP on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 03:25; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:38    Post subject: Re: Appreciation for your efforts  

ETP wrote:
I hope at least, that this Pup proves worthy of addition to the Accessibility list on puppylinux.org
Magoo Pups V5 & V6 together with greengeek’s “SwitchPup” also need adding.

Have done this.....
Cheers
peebee

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:06    Post subject:  

This is great, good timing, I will show this off to my MDA doctor at my yearly check-in next month, at the MDA clinic. Need to notify them now that I may need extra time, They generally rush me in/out since they can't do much but monitor and try different protocols, anyhow, no cure yet Sad
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:55    Post subject:  

Is the zip file mouse_cam_pup v5 the correct one? could you split md5sum from zip?
ETP

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jun 2013, 00:47    Post subject: MouseCam Pup v5,  

Hi Ted Dog,

The ISO and md5 text file are both in the same directory. You can select the md5 file to download it if you wish, or just click on view to inspect and copy the checksum.
td.png
 Description   
 Filesize   9.09 KB
 Viewed   1327 Time(s)

td.png

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jun 2013, 01:23    Post subject:  

Ah, goes Ted dog, I did know you could drill down and select the files individually. Second attempt was able to open the zip and check against the md5sum (which really had to be successful if it would unzip cleanly)
I wish I had more time to play with this, the monthly Muscular Dystrophy Meet and Eat for Adults and caregivers is only in a few hours. Would love to demonstrate this. I think for the majority of disabled persons who attend would not be extremely disabled to need a single switch. Also being encouraged to use head for mouse control would help the core support muscles.
I like many with M.D. have a limited range and duration of different muscle groups, so switching out what works for what doesn't is just a way of life, I can write with either hand just because If I over use one it stops functioning and I like to feed myself, so I switch hands, I've used wireless mouse with feet, forearms, nose, chin, cheek and tongue. It takes hours to type on some days.
So, like me, many just wait it out for days, and that is bad for most since unused muscles atrophy faster than used muscles.

Also I think these additions should never be limited or pick and choose on what to include. The single switch tied to a underused key hopefully is still in play. There will be times I would need to finish a email or a text long after I can not speak or move my head.

As you can tell today is not one of those days Laughing thankfully.

As this effort came about I think its a rare event that the hardest and most challenging goal was met, You have to think in most projects of this type good enough for most disabled people becomes mantra, and those extremely disabled are always the ones not reached.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013, 01:19    Post subject:
Subject description: MouseCam first trial

Only had time for a very quick trial so far, but this looks very interesting! I am blown away by how good the online dictation is. Excellent stuff ETP!

I really didn't expect the dictation to work at all (I've had so many problems with Dragon Dictate etc over the years...) but this dictator worked straight out of the box in a live CD session, without any configuration other than setting up the internet wireless connection. It takes my dictation almost at real time speed, and if I use a faux American accent there are very few errors. (Have to say "period" for a fullstop, "comma" for a comma, and "exclamation mark" for an exclamation mark)

Only issue noted so far is overlapping page up/page down icons at top right of screen (due to my 1024x768 screen I guess).
MouseCamV5pageup overlay.png
 Description   
 Filesize   189.21 KB
 Viewed   1241 Time(s)

MouseCamV5pageup overlay.png

ETP

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:38    Post subject: Re: MouseCam first trial  

Hi Greengeek,

Driven on by Google, I agree that online dictation is getting better and better.

The best option with the overlap at 1024, is to remove those two icons and simply use those on the sidebar. It will also create space for the “save” icon if running from a USB stick. To remove the page up/down icons across the top of the screen unlock them and then select remove items. (N.B. Don’t delete them as it will take out the scripts)

In my next post, after a bit more testing, I hope to cover how to easily add and use voice mail.

ETP

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:46    Post subject: MouseCam Pup v5 – Add Voice Mail.  

After a long and frustrating search, I finally seem to have struck gold in the form of Vocaroo. You will of course, require a working microphone plus headset or speakers. The webcam mike could possibly be used. To post the email link to the recording you do need to be logged into Gmail.

Easy Setup:

1: Visit the site and add it to your bookmarks bar.

www.vocaroo.com

That’s it finish !!!!!!

It is worth watching the following video (With audio) that describes its use:

http://www.teachertrainingvideos.com/vocaroo1/

In actual fact it can be simplified even further.

Rather than clicking on the Email icon to the right of the Embed icon, click instead on the Gmail icon that I have circled in blue in the screenshot.
A Gmail compose window will then open with an attached hyperlink to the recording.
Select who you want to send it to and then send it. It gets better. You will note the download options but if you Cc the email to your own Gmail account or another of your mail accounts you can kill two birds with one stone.

It sure beats typing and is ideal for all the accessibility pups or indeed any pup.
Vocaroo.png
 Description   
 Filesize   48.75 KB
 Viewed   1188 Time(s)

Vocaroo.png

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:58    Post subject:  

ETP keep the faith, this is too new and may be considered by many at 10,000Meter view. Also the group that would benefit the most has already invested hours learning the work-around and a big wad of funds to be able to send email via Windows ME era computers.
They may have given up looking and dreaming of the new age of internet being cheaply available to them.
I fully expect your host serving the ISO to go down, once this is well known in the handicapped circles. If Jerry Lewis does not showcase this on the 2014 MDA LaborDay telethon, I've totally misread the actual people I know... Wink
Actually I'm concerned, that it could make it in 2013 MDA telethon, if the people I will be meeting to demo this are too gun ho about it.

I've been biting my lip online at the other mostly private disability forums I am a member, just to keep this thread and puppylinux from the in-rush of new users, until more of us learn the ends and outs of something so new, and updating at such a pace slows down.

That is why I keep talking about getting better hosting, getting to the files is and has been problematic for me. I will have a stack of pre-burned DVD's at my meeting and they will be left at the MDA clinic for anyone to try.
You have many good screen shots, showing the activity, would you be able to make clear videos, (no compressed crap like youtube)
that I could included with my pre-burnt DVD's, I'm looking for a DVD for show and tell that could fit in the miniDVD 1.4G size for easy mailing in standard sized letter and postage.
ETP

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013, 02:27    Post subject: MouseCam Pup v5  

Hi Ted Dog,
I see no reason why disabled users should be denied what 90% of able bodied people seem to use these days. The fact that this is free and runs on modest kit is a bonus. (The main components of my PC, a Pentium D with 1GB of DDR2 Ram, date from 2005.)

The voice mail “how to” in my previous post hopefully rounds off this project barring bugs yet to emerge or requests for change. I still find the lack of end user feedback on all of the accessibility projects rather disconcerting. Are they fit for purpose or not?

With regard to hosting this particular pup, in addition to “Mydrive” in Switzerland it is now, thanks to russoodle, on meownplanet.net in Australia.
http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ETP/
They both seem robust but perhaps someone will mirror it on a US based server.

I regret that I have no means of producing high quality videos. A readme.doc just containing a hyperlink to this thread is the best that I can suggest. May be this too, which gives the general idea but now at 273MB!
www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/images/puppybanner.gif

Page 1 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: