Add Fonts to OpenOffice 2.0

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
ecomoney

Add Fonts to OpenOffice 2.0

#1 Post by ecomoney »

Heres a quick trick I learnt to add windows truetype fonts fonts to open office. It turns it into quite a good desktop publishing system.

1. First, take your fonts. You can download these from many places on the internet. www.cooltext.com (a gimp powered logo generator site) has a large archive. To save you time ive downloaded all of the free fonts on there, and zipped them up. Donwnload and unzip them from here

http://www.ecomoney.eu/puppy/fonts/fonts.tgz

2. Open the OO2 printer administration program. If you dont have a link to it, this can be found in puppy in /usr/local/OOo-2.0/program/spadmin

3. Click on "fonts....'

4. A box should come up listing the fonts installed. Click on "add..."

5. A box should appear listing all of the installed fonts. Click on the "..." box next to the source directory. Select the directory of the fonts you want to install, or the directory that you inzipped my fontpack to.

6. Select the fonts you want from the list (or even click select all - I havnt noticed a big decrease in speed even with all 35mb of fonts installed!).

7. Click on "OK", a progress bar should appear.

8. Close spadmin and get designing!

Ecomoney Systems Ltd
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Béèm

#2 Post by Béèm »

As I have XP on my PC, I just copied, while in Puppy, the fonts from XP to Puppy.
Some 98 MB of fontfiles.
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

dewdrop

Re: Add Fonts to OpenOffice 2.0

#3 Post by dewdrop »

ecomoney wrote:Heres a quick trick I learnt to add windows truetype fonts fonts to open office. It turns it into quite a good desktop publishing system.

1. First, take your fonts. You can download these from many places on the internet. www.cooltext.com (a gimp powered logo generator site) has a large archive. To save you time ive downloaded all of the free fonts on there, and zipped them up. Donwnload and unzip them from here

http://www.ecomoney.eu/puppy/fonts/fonts.tgz

2. Open the OO2 printer administration program. If you dont have a link to it, this can be found in puppy in /usr/local/OOo-2.0/program/spadmin

3. Click on "fonts....'

4. A box should come up listing the fonts installed. Click on "add..."

5. A box should appear listing all of the installed fonts. Click on the "..." box next to the source directory. Select the directory of the fonts you want to install, or the directory that you inzipped my fontpack to.

6. Select the fonts you want from the list (or even click select all - I havnt noticed a big decrease in speed even with all 35mb of fonts installed!).

7. Click on "OK", a progress bar should appear.

8. Close spadmin and get designing!

Ecomoney Systems Ltd

Hi Ecomoney,

I could not find the Printer Admin program loction you mentioned in #2 above, (I'm using Puppy 2.03CE (Community Edition), so I went to the help file of OO 2.0 and found this info:

"Under UNIX based platforms, the printer administration program spadmin is provided to help you set up printers, faxes and fonts for use with the OpenOffice.org software.
Call the printer administration program spadmin as follows:
Change to the {install_path}/program directory.
Enter: ./spadmin
After it starts, the window of the printer administration program spadmin appears."

I just opened Puppy's Console window, on the desktop, and typed in spadmin and the Printer Administration window appeared. I then followed your instructions to download the font files and installed them using the Printer Admin window buttons.

A very easy way to add font files to OO. Thanks!

dewdrop

ecomoney

Dewdrop

#4 Post by ecomoney »

Yes dewdrop, I should have put that Im still using 1.09ce with the user_more.sfs filesystem added in. When using 2.03ce I use the one with openoffice on the cd (is this the version you mean?). I havnt used MU's office 2.0 dotpup yet. Going to the console window and typing spadmin should work whatever the version though.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

dewdrop

Re: Dewdrop

#5 Post by dewdrop »

ecomoney wrote:Yes dewdrop, I should have put that Im still using 1.09ce with the user_more.sfs filesystem added in. When using 2.03ce I use the one with openoffice on the cd (is this the version you mean?). I havnt used MU's office 2.0 dotpup yet. Going to the console window and typing spadmin should work whatever the version though.
Hi again,

Yes, I use the 2.03 CE (Community Edition), and that is the one I meant.

dewdrop

MU

#6 Post by MU »

if spadmin is not in the PATH, you can run it directly, search for
/usr/openoffice.org2.0/program/spadmin or a similar folder.

Mark