How to network Puppy and XP?

Booting, installing, newbie
davec51

How to network Puppy and XP?

#1 Post by davec51 »

I'm hopeless, I know, but I'm trying to network an old computer (400mhz, with Puppy and W98 dual boot) and a new 2900mhz machine with XP installed (I can boot that one from my CD -- version 2.10 in both.
I used Samba on the old machine, and it seems I have established some sort of network. What next? Can I network an XP and Puppy?

marksouth2000

#2 Post by marksouth2000 »

Menu | Network | LinNeighbourhood Samba client

-- does that work for you, or is the problem a different one (in which case, more info needed)?

davec51

Network

#3 Post by davec51 »

My problem is I don't know how to access files from one computer to the other, or print.

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

I created the appropriate directories in puppy then run this from my desktop on my puppyoffice203 laptop to mount the xp laptop. I can't remember if you have to set up xp to share or not. I would guess you need to.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
rxvt -e smbmount //192.168.1.101/'My Documents' /root/mnt/windowsxp &
Of course, you'll need to know the address of the your xp machine and plug it into the script above.

To connect from xp to my puppy laptop I use betaftpd but can't remember the steps, sorry that's the wife's and I am not on that one too much. (way too slow).

We use a printer wirelessly from each so I can't help with the shared printer thing either.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

WhoDo

Re: Network

#5 Post by WhoDo »

davec51 wrote:My problem is I don't know how to access files from one computer to the other, or print.
Ok, I can help with a part of that.

To access files on your Windows XP machine from your Puppy machine, you need to have shared a directory or directories on your XP machine. Simply right click on any folder icon and choose the Sharing and security .. option from the menu.

Once you have the directory shared, then you can use LinNeighbourhood Samba Client to connect to the shared directory on your XP machine. Of course you need to know the machines network address or hostname and the name of your workgroup.

Open LinNeighbourhood Samba Client from the Network menu in Puppy and choose Edit - Preferences. Enter the name of your workgroup and be sure to select "Always scan as user" and "Use Samba port 139". Then under the Miscellaneous tab, enter your default user name and password.

Leave everything else unaltered, Save your preferences and choose Options-Browse Entire Network and you should see your workgroup name come up. Double click that and keep burrowing down until you find your shared folder. Highlight and mount that folder and you should end up with an open window onto your XP box.

Hope that helps

Cheers

davec51

Network

#6 Post by davec51 »

Once again, thanks, WhoDo. And you, too, Trapster. I easily made a script and can now share the documents on the XP with the Puppy installation.
I still can't figure out the printing thing, however. The printer wizard under settings doesn't seem to have provision for a network printer, and Samba says I have a print$ possibility, but I can't get it to work.

marksouth2000

#7 Post by marksouth2000 »

Somebody posted a CUPS dotpup in the forum somewhere over the weekend, you could try installing that. It's definitely network aware.

You're welcome, BTW.

davec51

#8 Post by davec51 »

Thanks to you, too, MarkSouth2000. I tried CUPS a number of times, without much luck. I do have the DotPup and I'll go at it.
Did you realize your initials are the same as Microsoft's?