Skype 4.2 - NOW DEAD - KILLED BY MS

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
666philb

#21 Post by 666philb »

skype 4.1 does work on lucid, but you'll need to install the missing qt dependencies from the PPM to get it to work,

you'll need to enable all the ubuntu repos in the PPM then install ....
libqt4-dbus and libqt4-webkit and there dependencies
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

darkstrike

#22 Post by darkstrike »

Thanks guys, maybe I'll try installing the dependencies before I format to put Puppy Precise on!
[url=http://www.sigx.org/link.php][img]http://www.sigx.org/images/skin/Dark+Win+in+Orange/0/xdarkstrike.png[/img][/url]
[color=brown][b]In memory of the dogs I've loved...Molly and Farrah...[/b][/color]

OscarTalks

Skype 4.1.0.20 for Wheezy Puppy (TEST)

#23 Post by OscarTalks »

Has anyone been able to sign in to Skype with a Microsoft account in Puppy at all? I've had no joy so far.

Anyway, I downloaded the Debian Wheezy version of Skype from the Skype website and added all the needed dependency libs into a private directory. These are all official Debian Wheezy qt, gstreamer and libaudio libs and the directory is placed inside /usr/share/skype along with the big binary and the whole thing is self-contained and launched via a script. I believe this method is OK. Correct me if I am wrong. It is big but should not clash with other programs or cause problems if uninstalled. Seems OK on brief testing here in Wheezy Puppy (except for no Microsoft sign in). Please test and comment. No warranty.

The .deb installs the file skype.conf into /etc/dbus-1/system.d so I left that in, but not sure if it is needed in Puppy or should be elsewhere or removed.

EDIT:-
Download links removed
I have posted a newer version for Dpup Wheezy here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 073#709073

I did do a similar thing with Precise Puppy, downloaded the Skype version and all dependency libs. It did work but I was getting lots of ALSA LIB messages in console relating to various things including pulse audio and something called the DSNOOP PLUG IN. What the heck is that I wonder? Doesn't sound very friendly does it?

I think I will still be mostly using good old version 2.2.0.35 of Skype to be honest. It has always served me well.
Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

pemasu

#24 Post by pemasu »

In Precise Puppy, try to delete the content of /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d. It has pulse audio related conf files, which will be noticed even though pulse audio is not in use, which causes disturbing messages.

Working fine in Dpup Wheezy. Special thanks of your effort and uploading your great achievement.

What the heck is Microsoft account. I am afraid I dont have that kind....and wont acquire one for trouble shooting. I think I have heard about that company somewhere.
I have skype account and it works fine.

OscarTalks

#25 Post by OscarTalks »

Pemasu,
In Precise Puppy removing the 2 files in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d does stop the messages relating to pulse audio.

I do still get a lot of other messages though, maybe they are not important. They seem to relate mostly to pcm_dmix (only accepts playback) and pcm_dsnoop (only accepts capture) so I guess these are part of alsa and are just talking about traffic to each being only allowed one way.
Oscar in England

Makoto

#26 Post by Makoto »

pemasu wrote:What the heck is Microsoft account. I am afraid I dont have that kind....and wont acquire one for trouble shooting. I think I have heard about that company somewhere.
I have skype account and it works fine.
Microsoft now owns Skype. They're ending their MSN Messenger/Live service, for the most part, and basically converting all those accounts for use with Skype. It's not a forced change, though, as far as I'm aware.

I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't possible to set up an MSN Messenger account at this point (it's past the deadline when they were supposedly going to shut down Messenger services, anyway.)

It does pose a potential problem for those of us who do have MSN Messenger accounts, though... I don't think I'll ever be able to get Skype 4 running on this system, so here's hoping they leave the Messenger services running. :D
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sancxjo

#27 Post by sancxjo »

Hello!
Uploaded files skype-4.1.0.20.sfs and qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs.
Put them in a directory: /mnt/home.
In theory it should be in the Internet menu, not Network.
But it is not anywhere on the menu at all :( .
In the terminal, typed:

Code: Select all

skupe
Skype blinked and closed immediately.
In the terminal:

Inconsistency detected by...
:shock:
What the hell does he want?

peebee

#28 Post by peebee »

sancxjo wrote:Hello!
Uploaded files skype-4.1.0.20.sfs and qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs.
Put them in a directory: /mnt/home.
In theory it should be in the Internet menu, not Network.
But it is not anywhere on the menu at all :( .
In the terminal, typed:

skupe
Skype blinked and closed immediately.
In the terminal:

Inconsistency detected by...
:shock:
What the hell does he want?
Hello

Which Puppy?

How is Puppy installed? What size savefile?

Don't understand "Put them in a directory: /mnt/home" - do you mean this is where you downloaded the sfs's to?

How did you install the sfs's?

If possible please provide the full terminal error message. A screenie if you can't capture the words as test.

Not enough information in your report at the moment I'm afraid.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

sancxjo

#29 Post by sancxjo »

Operating System: Lxpup 13.01
Desktop Panel: lxpanel 0.5.10
Desktop Window Manager: Openbox 3.5.0
Desktop Start: xwin startlxde

Files are in the directory:
/initrd/mnt/dev_save
or this same: /mnt/home
lxpupsave-2013.05.08.3fs size 1.0 GiB
The total size of the section size 3GiB

# skype
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 667: _dl_open: Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args.nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!
I also used the menu "sfs Manager download and install sfs files"
Maybe they conflict

peebee

#30 Post by peebee »

sancxjo wrote:Operating System: Lxpup 13.01

# skype
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 667: _dl_open: Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args.nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!
I also used the menu "sfs Manager download and install sfs files"
Maybe they conflict
Sort of sounds like you may have a corrupt download - have you checked the md5 checksums on the sfs's? as shown in post #1

The sfs should be located either in the top level directory of the partition or in the subdirectory containing the frugal install

To install the sfs's you should just click on them (or maybe double click in LxPup 13.01)

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

sancxjo

#31 Post by sancxjo »

Checksums are checked.

# md5sum qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs
1dd3f328cfc7bf6e5031f14af068c991  qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs
sh-4.1# md5sum skype-4.1.0.20.sfs
682b68f1655538db0b25adfdc01d109c  skype-4.1.0.20.sfs
I have all the files located on the hard courts in a special section.
The system itself is on a flash drive.
Is that improper placement?

# ls -l .
total 1116280
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root         35 May 26 17:00 fsckme.flg
drwx------ 2 root root      16384 May 17 04:20 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1073741824 May 26 17:36 lxpupsave-2013.05.08.3fs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   37183488 Jan 12 18:44 qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs
When you run the mouse pops up a message
they have been loaded: is arleady loaded. Do you want to unload? :?

peebee

#32 Post by peebee »

sancxjo wrote:I have all the files located on the hard courts in a special section.
The system itself is on a flash drive.
Is that improper placement?
Hello

I booted up a pristine frugal install of LxPup 13.01 and then installed the 2 sfs's (using sfs-load-on-the-fly). The 2 sfs's were located in the same sub-directory as the LxPup files - i.e
# cd /mnt/home/test1
# ls
initrd.gz
puppy_lxpup_13.01.sfs
qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs
skype-4.1.0.20.sfs
vmlinuz
Works fine from a terminal - see the screenie - so I think your problems are to do with how you have your system configured.

If your puppy files are on a flash drive then I suggest that the sfs's should be there as well.

The reason skype does not show up in the menu is that LxPup has a different menu structure to ordinary puppies - but this can easily be fixed by a small edit to the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications

Cheers
peebee

sancxjo

#33 Post by sancxjo »

Hello

Thank, peebee,
Yes, you have convinced me that my configuration is not suitable for Skype. Apparently the files are loaded later than necessary.
It is set up in the Boot manager.
Without carry files to a USB flash drive can not be without?
Can prescribe them to a file "fsckme.flg"?
I see it: sda8,ext3,/lxpupsave-2013.05.08.3fs

It did not work.
Files transferred to a USB flash drive.
When installing the system offered their copy to the section where they were with me.
And when you start Skype, it just flashes and closes.

# skype

dersou

On Lxpup 13.01 Full (Slacko) Skype open and shut down immedi

#34 Post by dersou »

Hello mates,

Same issue with Skype on Lxpup 13.01 Full (Slacko-based) than our friend sancxjo :

It opens, flashes and disappears immediatly :-/

Error Massage is the same too :
# skype
:?: :!:

sancxjo

#35 Post by sancxjo »

I already tried to delete my configuration file 3fs (now: lxpupsave-2013.05.29.3fs)., and the new set up everything, but this bug has not disappeared. :evil:

peebee

Re: On Lxpup 13.01 Full (Slacko) Skype open and shut down immedi

#36 Post by peebee »

dersou wrote:Same issue with Skype on Lxpup 13.01 Full (Slacko-based) than our friend sancxjo
Well the common thing between you both seems to be LxPup 13.01 - but I've tried that on my laptop and do not have the problem...

So I am at a loss what to advise - maybe you could try a frugal install of vanilla Slacko 5.5 to see if that gives the same error for you?

From Googling your error message - other people with the same error are listed - and it looks like its a library problem of some sort - are you both running absolutely pristine versions of LxPup or have you installed other things as well as Skype? There may be another common factor.

Anyway please both try if possible:

1. a pristine frugal install of LxPup with the Skype sfs in the same directory as the lxpup sfs

2. if that doesn't work - the same but with Slacko 5.5

Thanks
peebee

sancxjo

#37 Post by sancxjo »

Found something. People such was.
It remains to find out what's what.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=317799
I do not understand. Something related to the hardware platform 64 bit.
I nettop 32 bit

However, I tried the Slacko 5.5 and It works! :D
Moreover, I now 4 desktops instead of 2!
Pictures inserted into the message can not yet :oops:

My deepest respect and thanks, peebee :!:
Last edited by sancxjo on Sun 02 Jun 2013, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

Skype 4.2

#38 Post by peebee »

Skype 4.2.0.11 is now available - see 1st post....

sancxjo

#39 Post by sancxjo »

I'm confused by these versions of Skype already. :)
I messed around with 4.1.0.20, and for the first time post 4.2.0.11.
That is, is obtained while I tormented with the previous version, there's a new, and you update the first post? :o
Bravo, the software writers Puppy! :D
Puppy is most suitable for me now Linux!

TIW

Skype 4.2

#40 Post by TIW »

Hi peebee.
I am running Slacko 5.6 and Skype works great.
I do have however a question in regard to the tiny Desktop Tray Icon. How can I increase the size of that Icon ?
Thanks for your help.