ToOpPy 1.0 "Precise" Final Release

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Argolance

ToOpPy 1.0 "Precise" Final Release

#1 Post by Argolance »

Tote

#2 Post by Tote »

Hello Argolance, just downloaded this, manual frugal install on Thinkpad T61. It has to be one of the most feature-rich and impressive puppies I've ever seen :D

Everything has worked out of the box, booted to desktop, installed English language pack, connected wirelessly, installed Firefox then updated to latest version.

It's clear a lot of thought and hard work has gone into this. I love the themes and the split menu idea, just so much to look at and admire. I hope you have a lot of success with this puppy.

regards,
Tote

Argolance

#3 Post by Argolance »

:D ...
Cordialement!

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Ah :D bonjour, Argolance!

My main computer has a sort of technological head cold and is freezing up at random, but once it is no longer sick I'll be downloading and trying this for sure! I was quite impressed with 2PDE, so I'm sure I'll be amazed with ToOpPy ;)

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Booted this on a spare desktop.

Argolance, you are truly an artist! ToOpPy is BEAUTIFUL!! (I did not test functionality much, but from the number of things in the menu, it appears that there's plenty functionality to go around... ;) )

I am also an artist. I am extremely fussy about my desktop appearance and how my computer looks inside. Here you have made something that makes my eyes light up and my heart dance. Your 2PDE is as pretty to me as GNOME2 -- that is high praise I believe, as GNOME2 is my all-time-favorite WM/DE.

I seem to recall that 2PDE is JWM with enhancements? You have taken a window manager with all the grace and style of Windows 95 (no matter how the colors look it is still Windows 95 underneath!) and you have created a thing of beauty.

Now just one small request.

Make a NON-PAE version, so that I can show this to my penguin-fearing mother on her elderly Pentium M laptop. Perhaps she will be convinced to like penguins ;)

By the way, Argolance: do you know English, or do you speak it only the way I (unfortunately) speak French -- all but a few words spoken by Google Translate? (Apologies as always for that -- I have tried to speak French before, and it is very hard to make my tongue do things that it does not want to do -- it is a very American tongue I have!)

Argolance

#6 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Thank you for feedback! :D
I am also an artist. I am extremely fussy about my desktop appearance
I too! But I tried to do something "user friendly" and not "eye candy", not slowing down the machine. It is important new user to feel at home while finding quickly a visual environment he likes, especially if he is coming from Windows, and tired of, wants to try something else. Besides, I think for example, that transparency and shadow effects are very useful for user to see as well as possible what window has actually the focus (it stays opaque while the others appear in the background ).
Make a NON-PAE version, so that I can show this to my penguin-fearing mother on her elderly Pentium M laptop. Perhaps she will be convinced to like penguins
I know that a patch called "kernel_src-3.2.30-nopae-patched.sfs" exists but don't know exactly how to make this work :oops:
Perhaps could you ask the question on the Forum?
By the way, Argolance: do you know English, or do you speak it only the way I (unfortunately) speak French -- all but a few words spoken by Google Translate?
I speak and read English (At least I try to...) but google translate is never far from me :wink: !

Cordialement.

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

Glad to read your post, Argolance! It is often a pleasure working with you.

I looked, and Precise Puppy 5.4.3 only comes in PAE version. Rather than building a new kernel, perhaps you could use either Upup Precise 3.8.3.1 or Precise Puppy 5.6.1?

The advantage to Upup Precise is that it will work well on hardware both old and new -- there is a new kind of Intel graphics (you may have heard me bothering about this) called "Poulsbo" that needs its own special driver, which does not seem to work in the main Puppies. (Yet, I have also run Upup Precise on a system with a Celeron M 600MHz CPU!) It is quite funny to me that there are some things that pemasu and others can make work, that BarryK himself seems to have trouble with.

rjbrewer

#8 Post by rjbrewer »

Argolance:

Precise-5.4.3-retro is the non-PAE version.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.4.3-retro/

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Argolance

#9 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
starhawk wrote:I looked, and Precise Puppy 5.4.3 only comes in PAE version. Rather than building a new kernel, perhaps you could use either Upup Precise 3.8.3.1 or Precise Puppy 5.6.1?
I plan to work on Puppy Precise 5.6 for the next ToOpPy, but releases are changing so quickly that I am not in a hurry! More: I wait a little bit to know if what I am making is really useful and appreciated before going further...

@rjbrewer
Thank you for the link.

Have a good day.

Cordialement.

rjbrewer

#10 Post by rjbrewer »

There are serious problems with shutting down or rebooting Precise 5.6 or
5.6.1 on older Intel machines and making save files.

I only use "full" installs and can work around the problem with
a temporary "acpi=force" added to Grub kernel line.
This does not help with "frugal".

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Tote

#11 Post by Tote »

One of the nicest pups I've ever used :D Many thanks for all of your hard work!

Pelo

ToOpPy 2.1 for german and spanish

#12 Post by Pelo »

Attachments
La Zizanie.jpg
Griffith fro precise PPM on ToOpPy
(36.77 KiB) Downloaded 82 times