Let's puppy-fy the world

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
lvds

Let's puppy-fy the world

#1 Post by lvds »

Hi,

Here is a suggestion for something that is missing in my industry. We need a script so we can puppy-ify an existing linux system.

So you could go to a computer or a server running Linux, with many specific softwares already installed, and you run the script, that builds you an iso image puppy-ified that you can take with you on a DVD or a pendrive.

Does it already exists or anyone knows how to do this ?

Best regards

NeroVance

Re: Let's puppy-ify the world

#2 Post by NeroVance »

lvds wrote:Hi,

Here is a suggestion for something that is missing in my industry. We need a script so we can puppy-ify an existing linux system.

So you could go to a computer or a server running Linux, with many specific softwares already installed, and you run the script, that builds you an iso image puppy-ified that you can take with you on a DVD or a pendrive.

Does it already exists or anyone knows how to do this ?

Best regards
Are you talking about an existing Puppy Linux installation. In that case, remastering, just remember to load Everything into the folders.

As for other distros... You would need to get versions of the software that puppy can use, or at least get all the documents. In that case, one could build a script to fetch everything, and load it into a new pupsave. Then all you need to do is install an ISO to a flash drive, and load that pupsave in there.

R-S-H

#3 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

Don't want to be too much off topic, but I have to say, first we need a script that would make the GtkGialog developers able to develop GtkDialog in a way, that it will show any Icons in a GUI in 0.8.3 when they've been already shown in 0.8.0!

Also, the use of a gtk-xxx Icon in a GtkDialog GUI should not replace the Text inside the used GtkDialog item!

It's this small stuff that is really confusing and what has to be 'fixed' instead of talking about having SFS files for different window managers or having some "Wizard-Of-Oz"-Scripts - not to talk about of some weird dreams of some forum members of making Puppy Linux a Main DISTRO !!! :lol:

If the GtkDialog developers are not able to keep such things working from one version to another, they should go for search on another job!

Maybe creating Window Manager SFS files? :lol:

Better not!

The Images:

Images do show LazY Puppy Menu Suite. In LazY Puppy all Icons are shown the right way (it has gtkdialog 0.8.0 installed). The Images are taken from my LazY Precise (based on 5.6, gtkdialog 0.8.3 installed). Please, have a look at the images description.

RSH
Attachments
capture31911.jpg
Code used for the Icon: stock=\"gtk-dialog-authentication\" - Text changed in Items
(70.35 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
capture29926.jpg
Code used for the Icon: icon=\"gtk-dialog-authentication\" - correct Text in Items
(65.09 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

simargl

Re: Let's puppy-fy the world

#4 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

lvds

Re: Let's puppy-fy the world

#5 Post by lvds »

simargl wrote:
lvds wrote:We need a script so we can puppy-ify an existing linux system.

In Slax that is already available to turn existing installation into live portable system https://github.com/Tomas-M/linux-live, but not in Puppy because Puppy needs more than 150 small dialogs, 300 useless applications and it must be built with thing called woof, or else it is not Puppy and comes in ignore list a.k.a off the radar.
yes, about the Linux Live Kit from Tomas (Slax), I've been working on it since 2 weeks at work and we cannot have it to work with Ubuntu or Debian :? I've left message requesting for help but got no answer so far. i tried with pre-compiled kernel and with a custom compiled kernel but always end with a black screen after the syslinux pendrive boot :shock:
So far this is the most promising tool I've seen (I think I tested them all ;-) )

That's why I was asking if something exists in the puppy world, that would be a very good tool.
Do you think such a tool could work into alphaos too ? I mean, have an installed Linux, put the scripts on it, and it builds a portable alphaos customized with everything looking like the installed system ? :idea: That would be awesome 8)

Best regards