Laptop sleep function only works properly with Slacko 5.3.3

Booting, installing, newbie
liro

Laptop sleep function only works properly with Slacko 5.3.3

#1 Post by liro »

When I started using Puppy on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad X31) last year, I orginally tried out Wary but in the end settled on using Slacko (5.3.3), which has worked pretty well for me ever since.

One of the reasons I stopped using Wary was because I couldn't get the sleep function to work properly. The laptop would go into sleep mode after closing the lid, but wouldn't 'wake up' again when reopening it. After spending a lot of time trying to fix this (ACPI, etc) I just gave up and started using Slacko 5.3.3 instead, which doesn't have this problem.

When Slacko 5.4 was released I eagerly tried it out only to find out that unfortunately it has the same problem (with my my laptop) as Wary does. As I couldn't be bothered spending loads of time trying to find the solution again, I decided to just stick with Slacko 5.3.3 for the time being...

Now, I've just tried out Slacko 5.5 hoping that this problem might have disappeared with the newer version, but sadly nope...

Does anyone know what Slacko 5.4 and 5.5 have in common with Wary, but not with Slacko 5.3.3 with regard to laptop sleep functions? I did post about this before in a bugs thread but didn't get a reply, but was hoping some clever person here might know ;).

Thanks!
Last edited by liro on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 17:57, edited 3 times in total.

liro

Re: Laptop sleep function only works properly with Slacko 5.3.3

#2 Post by liro »

[sorry double post]

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

Sorry looks like laptop support has come and gone, Ive have had same type of failure with puppylinux and the woof builds for a year. Does not seem too much interest by developers to fix this. :x

I found a version of quirky from a year or two ago still sleeps and wakes without cooking my notebook during use.

rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

It works fine in Slacko5.5-4g on my MSI netbook.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

liro

#5 Post by liro »

Wish I could find a solution to this as I'm basically stuck with Slacko 5.3.3 until I do... :?

rjbrewer

#6 Post by rjbrewer »

liro wrote:Wish I could find a solution to this as I'm basically stuck with Slacko 5.3.3 until I do... :?
Did you try a quick push on the power button after
lifting the lid?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ally

#7 Post by ally »

I have the same problem as the OP, neither lid close or power puts lappy to sleep (lenovo t60 & t500)

pressing the power button causes it to go through the motions but doesn't actually sleep, 5.3.3 works ok and I think from memory 5.4 did also but could be mistaken

:)

ozsouth

Try this (works for me)

#8 Post by ozsouth »

Put this in /root/Startup & make sure it's executable, then reboot.

**edit - sorry folks uploaded an old zip, which had a missing 'fi'. This is the working version.
Attachments
susplid0.zip
(362 Bytes) Downloaded 452 times
Last edited by ozsouth on Mon 20 May 2013, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#9 Post by ally »

thanks oz

part way through a mammoth upload so can't test yet, will report back

ally

#10 Post by ally »

hey oz

unfortunately the script caused the laptop to sleep/wake/sleep/wake even with replacement upload

ozsouth

Manual method

#11 Post by ozsouth »

Unzip the attached to /usr/bin, ensure executable, then make a desktop icon.
Clicking the icon should suspend after 1 sec, requiring either a lid close then open, or just a power button push, to resume.
Attachments
suspbase.zip
(212 Bytes) Downloaded 512 times

litig8rtenn

#12 Post by litig8rtenn »

should either or both of these solutions work with Slacko 5.5?

ally

#13 Post by ally »

hey oz

suspbase working well on my lenovo t500 - thanks

litig8rtenn

#14 Post by litig8rtenn »

Suspbase doesn't work on my Dell laptop Inspiron 2200 running Slacko 5.5. When it goes to sleep I have to long-press power button to shutdown and then press power button to re-boot, after which it indicates improper shutdown and goes through some fixes while booting.

When I tried the susplid option it wouldn't start at all and I had to boot from CD and then delete the susplid file to get it to boot normally.

I have Slacko 5.5 installed to the hard drive.

ozsouth

Apparently only works for some machines

#15 Post by ozsouth »

Sounds like Dells need some other solution. I have a Toshiba Pentium Dual Core & these scripts also work with HP & Compaq Celeron Dual Cores, and suspbase on a Lenovo. My Samsung netbook has 'samsung-laptop' module loaded & a power button press is needed. Same results for my stuff with Racy 551.

liro

#16 Post by liro »

Thanks ozsouth :) .

ssreddy

Does this solution work for Desktop also?

#17 Post by ssreddy »

Does this solution work for Desktop also?

Mr.Puppy

#18 Post by Mr.Puppy »

Do Suspbase and Susplid also work on other Linux distros like Antix?
ozsouth wrote:Unzip the attached to /usr/bin, ensure executable, then make a desktop icon.
Clicking the icon should suspend after 1 sec, requiring either a lid close then open, or just a power button push, to resume.
How do I add a desktop icon on the Puppy Precise Desktop?

I have installed the Susplid0 scriptfile to the /root/Starup directory. I have put the SuspBase file to the /usr/bin directory. As soon as my Puppy Precise 5.7.1 desktop has started, it immediately fals into the suspend-to-memory state. I press the power button to wake-up and it falls back again into the suspend state.

Listing SuspLid0 file:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# event handler to automatically suspend-to-ram when laptop lid is closed.

while true #Endless loop.
do
if grep -q open /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
then
sleep 12 # minimise resource usage
else
echo mem > /sys/power/state # send the suspend signal
sleep 1
fi
done
I dis ls /proc/acpi/button/lid and I saw the director LID instead of LID0. So I have to change the "if grep -q open /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state" to "if grep -q open /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state"

Karl Godt

#19 Post by Karl Godt »

Sorry, but searching for acpi should bring a bunch of information .

The /usr/sbin/acpid is needed to launch scripts in /etc/acpi .

Unfortunately the values that are returned by the kernel for any buttons pressed might differ each patchlevel .

So files in /etc/acpi that get passed other values, than written in these , would simply ignore them .
I dis ls /proc/acpi/button/lid and I saw the director LID instead of LID0. So I have to change the "if grep -q open /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state" to "if grep -q open /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state"
YES
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P