Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 12:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Legacy OS 2 & 4 are you a User? Who am I developing for?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 5 [75 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
john biles

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 09:08    Post subject:  

Hello slimhunter,
On some computers this has been a long standing problem which originates from the creator of Puppy (Barry K) belief that Puppy would aways be under 256mb's in size. When Developers like me come a long and increase the size of the iso above 256mb's his script or file decides to try and load the sfs file in to ram that's not big enough anyway. In the past I've posted for advice on this which never ended with a solution except one!

If you can pull out some RAM so you only have 128mb's Legacy OS 4 Mini will run off the CD and allow a full Hard Drive install. I use this trick all the time. Once Legacy OS 4 Mini is installed, replace the RAM and away you go.

slimhunter

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 17:30    Post subject:  

great, it worked like a charm!! now i'm cross testing with other puplets too and i'm really happy with the results...thanks so much mr. biles Smile
slimhunter

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2013, 16:12    Post subject:  

i've got to suggest a really useful pet: minitube.

it's an app that lets you see youtube vids at good quality and from a destop interface without using flash. you'll be able to see videos without lag even in a crappy pc as the p3 800mhz i'm using right now. it it's already available for dpup exprimo and i've tried it in the past with a previous xubuntu 9.04 install.

check it out, it could be a killer app for this distro, it'll help you to fill the lack of many other distros for old PCs Wink
sullysat

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013, 22:43    Post subject: Legacy OS 4 Mini is now mirrored  

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I've added Legacy OS 4 Mini to my Puppy page, so now both versions of Legacy OS are available there.

Thanks to John for all the hard work! It's a real gem and I appreciate your efforts.

Cheers,
Sully

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2013, 10:34    Post subject:  

Just to bump this; now that I'm back on my old computer, I decided to do a full install of OS4 to a clean partition. It worked well and looked great (especially with the Karamba sidebar) until I opened an old Open Office spreadsheet file in Gnumeric with Firefox still running. At this point my system froze and I had to "break" the display with Ctrl-Alt-Delete - after which I wasn't able to get XOrg back and had to revert to XVesa, which I dislike.

I'm using Puppy Deeper Thought for the time being, which I like anyway so it's not a disaster for me, but I'd still like to get the X Windows installation back properly in os4. Could someone please tell me how to do that?

Best,

CP .

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 28 May 2013, 05:26    Post subject:  

An update; I'm posting from a live copy of Legacy OS4 now and it's working well so I'll probably do another full reinstall soon. It does seem to run "heavy" as Puppy derivatives go though; with nine tabs open in Firefox and no other apps running, the sidebar is showing between 495 and 498 MB of RAM being used out of a total of 512 MB and 732 MB of swap (out of a total of 1545 MB).
oligin10

PostPosted: Tue 28 May 2013, 10:03    Post subject: Removing Karamba  

Hi CP, just a suggestion. I completely removed Karamba. That seemed to help. I hope to make it back to Legacy OS4 soon. Been trying to figure out the flash problems and working on some other things right now. But back to Karamba. For me, it was an unnecessary item. I would rather place my icons on the desktop. Probably because I don't have a wide screen monitor. Hope this helps, Rob
john biles

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 10:47    Post subject:  

Hello Colonel Panic,
Testing on Pentium III based computers showed that the Karamba sidebar consumes about 6% of your available CPU power while say a 3Ghz Pentium 4 uses on 1% of CPU power. To disable the sidebar and stop it starting during bootup, unhide .xinitrc in root open it with geany and place a # at the start of the line /usr/bin/karamba & so it looks like this #/usr/bin/karamba & and save.

In truth I use Legacy OS 2 on my Pentium III computers as I find it more stable than Legacy OS 4 Mini. Legacy OS 2 is more battle ready for day to day use and that's why currently I'm working on an "Update Pack" for Legacy OS 2 and not 4.

Hello oligin10,
I've never experienced a problem with flash 11 in Legacy OS 4 mini. Even the current version 11.2 works. It's strange your experiencing problems with Flash?

oligin10

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 12:04    Post subject: Flash  

Hi John, thanks for responding to this. I think my problems stem from updating browsers. I try to update my browsers to the latest each time. It has caused me problems with Legacy OS4. I know that's what is causing it. I will keep working on fixing what I have broken. On a side note, are you pretty much done with Legacy OS4? I thought I had read somewhere that you were going to concentrate on OS2. Thanks for all you have done and all you do, Rob.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 16:15    Post subject: Re: Flash  

oligin10 wrote:
Hi John, thanks for responding to this. I think my problems stem from updating browsers. I try to update my browsers to the latest each time. It has caused me problems with Legacy OS4. I know that's what is causing it. I will keep working on fixing what I have broken. On a side note, are you pretty much done with Legacy OS4? I thought I had read somewhere that you were going to concentrate on OS2. Thanks for all you have done and all you do, Rob.

Have you tried a recent version of Opera? I find version 11.11 works just fine in Legacy OS4; there's a pet for that one. I can't vouch for Opera 12 as I haven't tried it in a 2 or 4 based Puppy yet.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 16:17    Post subject: Re: Removing Karamba  

oligin10 wrote:
Hi CP, just a suggestion. I completely removed Karamba. That seemed to help. I hope to make it back to Legacy OS4 soon. Been trying to figure out the flash problems and working on some other things right now. But back to Karamba. For me, it was an unnecessary item. I would rather place my icons on the desktop. Probably because I don't have a wide screen monitor. Hope this helps, Rob

Thanks for the tip. It might well work but tbh I like Karamba a lot, in fact it's one of the main "draws" of John's Legacy distros for me so I'd only bin it if I absolutely had to..

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 16:20    Post subject:  

john biles wrote:
Hello Colonel Panic,
Testing on Pentium III based computers showed that the Karamba sidebar consumes about 6% of your available CPU power while say a 3Ghz Pentium 4 uses on 1% of CPU power.

To disable the sidebar and stop it starting during bootup, unhide .xinitrc in root open it with geany and place a # at the start of the line /usr/bin/karamba & so it looks like this #/usr/bin/karamba & and save.

Thanks for the info in each case. Smile

john biles wrote:
In truth I use Legacy OS 2 on my Pentium III computers as I find it more stable than Legacy OS 4 Mini. Legacy OS 2 is more battle ready for day to day use and that's why currently I'm working on an "Update Pack" for Legacy OS 2 and not 4.

Great, is it anything like ready for release yet? I think I might install Legacy 2 now that I'm back on my "old" computer again.

john biles

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 22:57    Post subject:  

Hello Colonel Panic,
Changes at Work, giving my old car a makeover, raising a young family has slowed down the development of Legacy OS. The next release to version 2.1 will be an Update Pack under 100Mb not a 700mb iso. I can tell you that Opera 12.02 the last version that works with Legacy OS 2 is very stable and has been my main Web Browser for months. It links to a small QT4 library inside Opera's main directory. Unpacking the tar.gz takes a few minutes and your done. Visually I feel the update adds more polish.

You can try Opera 12 from here http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/LegacyOS/Legacy-OS-2-Apps-Repository/
user = puppy password = linux

just unzip tar.gz to / as per normal and reload menu.

Legacy OS 4 Mini will receive the same visual update when 2.1 is released with a tar.gz of its own. I tend to work on one version at a time so an update for Legacy OS 4 Mini isn't dead yet. Very Happy

Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2013, 14:37    Post subject: Yes ! update pack scheduled  

I hope internet connexion drivers will be updated . Legacy OS ins one of my prefered distros but i musk work with my old computer
James C

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jun 2013, 01:48    Post subject:  

Still running Mini on an old 733 Mhz/256 Mb ram P3.
legacy mini on p3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   71.23 KB
 Viewed   278 Time(s)

legacy mini on p3.jpg

Page 4 of 5 [75 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: