Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 09:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
SlimPup 3.8
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
lvds

PostPosted: Thu 16 May 2013, 05:19    Post_subject:  

sheepy wrote:

Hi, lvds,
Thank you so much for your testing and support!
-Which ones would you suggest updating?

you replied below ... I was thinking at a whole update but somehow you're right, if you like it this way it's a good choice Smile
Embed of the composer was a great idea, that opens a large door to the gaming world, but it also often requires updated drivers so it may be a good idea to release new versions and follow Barry release cycle Smile

sheepy wrote:
-You're right, Firefox is pretty outdated. It functions pretty well at 4.0, and the update is colossal and would cause the ISO size to go way up. To be honest, I am more of a chrome fan anyway, but I love them both and Firefox just works and updates very easily within the browser if desired. I will consider updating it. Thank you!

According to your choices, the latest Firefox ESR (long term support) would be the best choice, though I don't recall if it's available somewhere in the depots...

sheepy wrote:

-To enable the window labels, open the Openbox theme manager, go to "appearance" on the left, and there you can add or remove parts of the window decoration. Add an "L" for the window labels. Or anything else you would like to add or remove.

yep I found it also a few hours after my post, great feature Very Happy

sheepy wrote:

-You are correct that you cannot make the wallpaper simply one color. This is a limitation of Nitrogen, unfortunately. Although if you really wanted it black, you could edit a config or two, but that's not very intuitive, now, is it? xP It was originally solid black by default, but people didn't like that very much. I may just add solid-colored wallpapers to the default soon. Thank you for this feedback.

Unfortunately, I do not plan to move up to 5.5. I have grown very attached to 525, hahaha. Maybe someday if 525 ever becomes obsolete. It would be quite a challenge though. You'd be surprised how many specific little libraries or scripts I've placed in there to make everything the way it is. Thank you! Smile

yes I'm sure ! Shocked ...would be worth to include a large choice of conky scripts and even a great setup tool so we could place nice things on the desktop. I found the widgets maybe a little too much, but some conky scripts would be awesome here and fit perfectly the openbox design Wink Great work Cool

sheepy

PostPosted: Mon 20 May 2013, 20:21    Post_subject:  

lvds wrote:
yes I'm sure ! Shocked ...would be worth to include a large choice of conky scripts and even a great setup tool so we could place nice things on the desktop. I found the widgets maybe a little too much, but some conky scripts would be awesome here and fit perfectly the openbox design Wink Great work Cool

Actually, if you look at Settings>Appearance, there is a little program I made with yad to change between 5 conky configs I made. Smile
vflower

PostPosted: Mon 20 May 2013, 21:17    Post_subject: slimpup 3.8
Sub_title: slimpup 3.8

A very Great job to include my favourite Google Chrome browser. I really hope that all the other puppy derivatives can do the same, that is, include both Firefox as well as Google Chrome these 2 browsers as the default. You know internet connection and browsing is the most important activities nowadays.
sunsnoel

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2013, 16:37    Post_subject:    

Joined just to say thank you. I really enjoy slimpup. It just works.....
musher0

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2013, 17:10    Post_subject:  

Hi, sheepy.

I just created a new pet for pekwm-0.16. I'm itching to test it on your slimpup, but would it be heresy to do so? Another way of saying this: would the slimpup structure be "allergic" to another wm, especially a close "cousin" like pekwm?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

musher0

sheepy

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2013, 21:21    Post_subject: Re: slimpup 3.8
Sub_title: slimpup 3.8

vflower wrote:
A very Great job to include my favourite Google Chrome browser. I really hope that all the other puppy derivatives can do the same, that is, include both Firefox as well as Google Chrome these 2 browsers as the default. You know internet connection and browsing is the most important activities nowadays.
Thank you! I find Chrome and Firefox to each serve specific purposes better than each other. In my opinion, they are very complimentary.
sunsnoel wrote:
Joined just to say thank you. I really enjoy slimpup. It just works.....
Thank you so much for your support, sunsnoel! Very Happy
musher0 wrote:
Hi, sheepy.

I just created a new pet for pekwm-0.16. I'm itching to test it on your slimpup, but would it be heresy to do so? Another way of saying this: would the slimpup structure be "allergic" to another wm, especially a close "cousin" like pekwm?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

musher0
Hmmm, that's an interesting question. It should work properly if there are no dependency issues. In fact, it should actually be easier to get going than in other puppies because the rox pinboard has been removed from .xinitrc, leaving Openbox to single-handedly draw the desktop. If you installed PekWM, exited X, and restarted X using it instead of Openbox, that should work. I would edit the configs for your PekWM menu before exiting X though, so it wouldn't be funky when you start it up. Razz
musher0

PostPosted: Wed 22 May 2013, 13:00    Post_subject:  

Hi, sheepy.

Reporting success using pekwm-0.1.16_git on SlimPup ! Smile
Only stumble was making some executables executable... (mea culpa as packager).
Menu creation went without a glitch with the built-in pekwm menu builder.

Aside from that, well, you can't change the backdrop in SlimPup, can you?

BFN. Have a great day!

sheepy

PostPosted: Wed 22 May 2013, 23:49    Post_subject:  

musher0 wrote:
Hi, sheepy.

Reporting success using pekwm-0.1.16_git on SlimPup ! Smile
Only stumble was making some executables executable... (mea culpa as packager).
Menu creation went without a glitch with the built-in pekwm menu builder.

Aside from that, well, you can't change the backdrop in SlimPup, can you?

BFN. Have a great day!
Awesome! Very Happy
The backdrop? Like the wallpaper? It can be done with the included wallpaper manager, Nitrogen.
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2013, 04:11    Post_subject:  

HI, Sheepy.

Nitrogen, eh? Ok then. Some of the programs you offer in SlimPup are entirely new to me, which makes it all the more interesting.

I almost forgot: SlimPup can be localized. The latest French localization package by esmourguit works fine on it. I thought I'd mention it, in case other Francophones want to give SlimPup a try.

BFN.

musher0

partsman

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul 2013, 23:47    Post_subject:  

Hi Sheepy
Wonderful job Wink hope you continue to keep it up ! Very Happy
very very nice Wink thank you !

sparkie

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013, 00:58    Post_subject:  

I know this is a bit down the road from the original post but I have just gotten my internet back up after moving last year. I'm trying to catch up on things in Puppyville, a few deriv's and such, and have been checking out SlimPup today.

I used Yumi to make a USB boot via Syslinux. I have done this on several Puppies so far and things work great. However, this is the first time that I have not been able to do a save file at reboot. It goes through the usual procedure until the "yes,save file/change folder/don't save" choice. When I choose "save" it goes to a blank screen that reads "session not saved" and then reboots the computer. I am trying to save this on my second hard drive, which I usually do. Would it make any difference if I burnt SlimPup on a cd, booted up and installed it to my USB stick?

One other thing...I probably should know this by now...where does an app go when I minimize it? Can't see it as there is no bar for it to display on.

All-in-all, I really like this over the others I have checked out recently. I did have high hopes with MacPup 550 but got lots of problems. I have been using SnowPuppy 020 for the past year now but I think your SlimPup may be my next user!
user31651

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 12:57    Post_subject:  what if i don't have middle-click mouse?
Sub_title: middle-click to show all windows in all workspaces

Hi Sheepy,

Your SlimPup is great. Thanks a lot for it.

One question is how to show all opened windows if i don't have a mouse with middle button or if i just use the touchpad ?

I am a newbie... so.. sorry for this trivial question.
user31651

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 20:44    Post_subject: Re: SlimPup 3.8
Sub_title: can't add a network printer

sheepy wrote:
Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/slimpuplinux/files/SlimPup/SlimPup_3.8.iso/download
Project Homepage: http://www.slimpup.com
Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/GWufp.jpg

New Software
    Google Chrome 24.0.1312.56
    iw
    Aircrack-ng
    wifite script

Bug Fixes
    Text color in Rox being white instead of black by default

Other Changes
    Added Pmount to main menu

Please report any bugs or questions here. Thank you Smile

Hi Sheepy
Here is what i did to add a network printer:
I ping my HP LaserJet 5000n printer, and it is ok. 0% packet loss.
Then, right-click -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Hardware tab -> Printer setup
then the CUPS 1.4.3 at localhost:631 prompted out.
then i clicked the Administration tab on the webpage, it returned 404 Not Found
then i went previous page.
then i clicked the "Adding Printers and Classes" links; it also returned 404 Not Found
The printer is at my bedroom and not directly connected to any pc on my home network

what shall i do to make this work ? thank you !
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 16:32    Post_subject: Nice looking but Issues with Wifi  

Hi Sheepy,

This looks like a pretty nice distro but I have 1 issue and one additional thought:

I am having trouble connecting to WiFi with a Netgear N-150 USB so I couldn't really get the full effect of the distro.

I noticed you have 3 web browsers which probably take up some valuable space. Can I suggest you only having one as default and providing the others as add-on pets?

Best regards,

Slavvo67
Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar 2014, 20:47    Post_subject: The menu, please  

The menu, please... could you list the menu because link is garbled or is towards a japanese or chinese language. Before downloading 400 mb, just to get an idea. Many thanks, sir.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum