alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
anikin

#401 Post by anikin »

simargl wrote:I plan to move forum ...
it's just started and I don't know what I'm doing
You'll be remembered as a dude, who didn't know what he's doing :)

simargl

#402 Post by simargl »

After this move next step is back to beginning - switch to Arch base, use pacman, remove firefox and majority of graphical apps, and just use f* computer not waste time on compiling, polishing, fixing etc. This has been valuable experience, but simply it is just too much work for just me and finally important part is that it became boring, so we're gonna just let Arch developers compile packages :twisted: and use them in this Puppy/or not Puppy system. System settings will stay the same, they are in separate package; DISTRO_SPECS also with ADRVSFS and BDRVSFS. Anyway, point is that this move should not be too hard, after all it's been done already with ArchPup. Feel free to comment, add suggestion (may I remind you about the logo, any ideas (svg please) cause I'm clueless).

pinguino

#403 Post by pinguino »

hi simargl, I agree with your decision to focus on pacman, sfs scripts, that really made a difference in puppy projects.

Regards

smil99

#404 Post by smil99 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Ppet is part of the printer package
Thanks mate.
simargl wrote:
ppet was never included, and will never be ...
That sounds interesting as I think ppet makes it possible for easy printer installations via rcrsn51"s packages in alphaOS and that is indispensable for many here :) .

Marv wrote:
... I mount sfs and iso files a lot and (lazily) use the rightclicks from http://alphaos.freeforums.org/spacefm-f ... s-t58.html to do so. ...
Thanks for the pointer. Will check on it right away.

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

Scooby

#405 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote:After this move next step is back to beginning - switch to Arch base, use pacman, remove firefox and majority of graphical apps, and just use f* computer not waste time on compiling, polishing, fixing etc. This has been valuable experience, but simply it is just too much work for just me and finally important part is that it became boring, so we're gonna just let Arch developers compile packages :twisted: and use them in this Puppy/or not Puppy system. System settings will stay the same, they are in separate package; DISTRO_SPECS also with ADRVSFS and BDRVSFS. Anyway, point is that this move should not be too hard, after all it's been done already with ArchPup. Feel free to comment, add suggestion (may I remind you about the logo, any ideas (svg please) cause I'm clueless).
:D :D :D :D :D Yipeeee !!!!!!!!!

:shock: ArchPup is back :shock:

rameshiyer

Arch Pup

#406 Post by rameshiyer »

Simargl.

Very good decision. I am comfortable with pacman. Kindly release next archpup without delay.

Bert

#407 Post by Bert »

For the logo, I think the special 'a' in the wallpapers futwerk posted could make a very nice logo...
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

simargl

#408 Post by simargl »

Nice looking font after applied fontconfig and freetype2 LCD patches. This should deffinetly be default in all Linux distros. Version 7.0 is almost finished, only needs some polishing, splitting devel files and locales (both will be in single additional module) :D http://alphaos.tuxfamily.org/forum/view ... hp?f=6&t=7

Bert wrote:For the logo, I think the special 'a' in the wallpapers futwerk posted could make a very nice logo...
Yes, but I can't extract that part
Scooby wrote: :D :D :D :D :D Yipeeee !!!!!!!!!

:shock: ArchPup is back :shock:
:lol: It's back only with new name.

Smithy

#409 Post by Smithy »

Nice one simargl, can you release a delta file when you are finally happy with alphaos?
Saves having to keep downloading all these isos.

smil99

#410 Post by smil99 »

simargl wrote:
... This has been valuable experience, but simply it is just too much work for just me ...
I have been thinking along the same lines lately ... and I feared developer burnout may set in for you to abandon the ship ... :)
... next step is back to beginning - switch to Arch base ...
Going back to the roots? ... Hooray!
Honestly, with all the available packeges in archland, one can never ask for more. Besides, it will be just fine for both newbies and experts to manage without frequent recourse to the console for simple tasks such as mounting an iso ... :)

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]

simargl

#411 Post by simargl »

I fixed makesfs script to accept multiple arguments, example:
makesfs firefox flashplugin
will compress those two package with their dependencies to module named firefox_flashplugin.sfs

cups, libcups, their deps are not in system sfs, who needs printing will have option to install those afterwards with pacman.
Smithy wrote:Nice one simargl, can you release a delta file when you are finally happy with alphaos?
Saves having to keep downloading all these isos.
Maybe later, after I learn how to make deltas...

stifiling

#412 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:After this move next step is back to beginning - switch to Arch base, use pacman, remove firefox and majority of graphical apps, and just use f* computer not waste time on compiling, polishing, fixing etc. This has been valuable experience, but simply it is just too much work for just me and finally important part is that it became boring, so we're gonna just let Arch developers compile packages :twisted: and use them in this Puppy/or not Puppy system. System settings will stay the same, they are in separate package; DISTRO_SPECS also with ADRVSFS and BDRVSFS. Anyway, point is that this move should not be too hard, after all it's been done already with ArchPup. Feel free to comment, add suggestion (may I remind you about the logo, any ideas (svg please) cause I'm clueless).
I'm interested in contributing to the new derivative w/pacman. Even more so if you were interested in setting up the main.sfs to be butt, bootie, barebones, absolute naked/clean as possible. i know i sound like a broken record but i think having that aspect included is important. Why? because it's absolutely possible and useful....and also because 'people want it'.

really it would be even nicer if the main.sfs was set up w/o a package manager....and give the users the option to install whichever one they want.....spkg or pacman. maybe by having the package managers set up and downloadable in a tar.gz file, easily ready to extract....and use.

smil99

#413 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
Below is what I came out with one of futwerk's backgrounds for the logo. I know I am not that creative so I guess this should trigger more contributions from others. Its in svg format so can be edited to your heart's desire using Inkscape. Just remove the phoney .gz ending. I used the triangles icon because I quite remember you once had an avartar similar to that :)
Cheers.

Edit:
I reduced the canvas size to fit the content.
Attachments
alphaOS logo.svg.gz
(12 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Last edited by smil99 on Sun 19 May 2013, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

smil99

#414 Post by smil99 »

Another go at the logo.
Cheers.
Attachments
alphaOS logo 2.svg.gz
(12.05 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

simargl

#415 Post by simargl »

Thanks smil99, they look great :D
...I quite remember you once had an avartar similar to that...
That was also Archpup logo, I though since it's half Arch and half Puppy good idea is to make two colored triangle, and split it in half
stifiling wrote: I'm interested in contributing to the new derivative w/pacman. Even more so if you were interested in setting up the main.sfs to be butt, bootie, barebones, absolute naked/clean as possible. i know i sound like a broken record but i think having that aspect included is important. Why? because it's absolutely possible and useful....and also because 'people want it'.

really it would be even nicer if the main.sfs was set up w/o a package manager....and give the users the option to install whichever one they want.....spkg or pacman. maybe by having the package managers set up and downloadable in a tar.gz file, easily ready to extract....and use.
alphaos_70.sfs is main module and it is barebone, containing just 01_core group, spkg now becomes system building tool
extra_70.sfs has 02_xorg and 03_extra groups

Most people will use both of those modules, but there is option in adding 3rd system file called desktop_*.sfs

alphaos_70.sfs is 60 MB with gzip compression, should be around 50 or less with xz...

In Archpup I compiled older menu-cache, and added that package to ignorelist, but now I will trick pacman to think that same version like in Arch is installed, so we'll not get pacman warnings like before. Example:
name="menu-cache"
version="0.4.1"
_realver="0.3.3"
revision="1"
category="development"
description="Caching mechanism for freedesktop.org compliant menus"
source="http://downloads.sourceforge.net/lxde/$ ... er}.tar.gz"
Same thing applied to linux kernel package, it thinks version 3.9.2. is installed when really it is 3.8.2 original from alphaOS. Virtualbox sfs compiled with that source is still working, that's great.

simargl

#416 Post by simargl »

Last part in previous post about kernel package is not correct any more, I decided to upgrade kernel to version 3.9.1 because kernel source sfs would need fixing and reuploading to sourceforge anyway.

Change is kernel config.

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
requested by newer udev
http://www.mygnu.de/index.php/2012/03/u ... in-kernel/

CONFIG_HAVE_KVM=y
suggested by ndrancs http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 239#698239

I will not upload virtualbox sfs in the future, but you can use script for making virtualbox sfs module from https://bitbucket.org/simargl/alphaos/src. Required is 500 MB of free space in save file or 1 GB of RAM in PUPMODE 5 without save file.

smil99

#417 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
I am sure you are feverishly putting some finishing touches to V7 for it to be released soon :D . Nevertheless, I was taking aback when trying to syncDB of V6 left me with an empty packages database :x This implies one can no longer install any program using spkg in V6. Moreover, a visit to http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/ shows no files of V6! Any explanation as to why V6 has been wiped off although V7 is not yet released?

Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Tue 21 May 2013, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

simargl

#418 Post by simargl »

Version 7.0 has just been released: http://alphaos.tuxfamily.org/forum/view ... =4&t=8#p10
If you like this OS please join official forum at http://alphaos.tuxfamily.org/forum. More members might increase chances for this system to find its place on distrowatch.com just in case they want something different, and I think usefull and original among 700 nice debian setups :mrgreen:. Next version will be 7.1 and follow more conservative release model.

smil99

#419 Post by smil99 »

Version 7.0 has just been released ...
Thanks for V7 :D
Did a frugal install on my computer however, I am unable to connect to the Internet as pwiireless fails to pick my wireless signal. Worthy to note that I haven't encountered such problem in V6.
Cheers.

simargl

#420 Post by simargl »

Uploading new iso with corrected Pwireless package links pointing to /usr/sbin/wpa_cli and
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant. Those files were in /sbin folder but moved to /usr/sbin in new Arch...