Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 02:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
alphaOS [closed]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 26 of 47 [697 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
imago

PostPosted: Sun 12 May 2013, 13:31    Post subject:  

Hi, simargl, i have not extra.sfs, i copyid systems fils from iso and maybe forgot abaot extra.sfs
simargl

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 02:15    Post subject:  

I compiled spacefm latest from git, and that will replace spacefm-0.8.7 in next version. It brings
many improvements if you need icons on desktop like: set borders, align to grid, moveable
icons, change text label color. Version 6.0 will be released tomorrow (changelog is pretty big).

After that will upgrade some packages in repository, so alphaOS is not just Puppy From Scratch it is rolling release Puppy.
ndrancs

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 05:25    Post subject: new release  

simargl wrote:
I compiled spacefm latest from git, and that will replace spacefm-0.8.7 in next version. It brings
many improvements if you need icons on desktop like: set borders, align to grid, moveable
icons, change text label color. Version 6.0 will be released tomorrow (changelog is pretty big).

After that will upgrade some packages in repository, so alphaOS is not just Puppy From Scratch it is rolling release Puppy.

Thanks a lot sim, i have waiting for it. Wink Smile
Familyman

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 05:54    Post subject: alphaOS 6.0  

Dear simargl,

There are reasons why I eagerly look forward to the goodies in the new rolling release of alphaOS 6!

Besides the improvements mentioned by simargl to spacefm, new packages in the repository; it is the tiny little things that make a huge difference to old systems like the EeePC 2G Surf netbook that I still use.

I have noticed while logging in with the latest Firefox 20.0.1 browser using Windows XP on the netbook, Yahoo Mail would intimate me that the screen size is not optimal (they apparently need a minimum of 1024x768 pixels).

But logging in with Firefox ESR 17 browser on alphaOS gives me no such warning message in Y!Mail. It possibly notes that the 800x480 pixel screen is native to my EeePC!

I look forward to the package Skype being included in the repository so that one could use it for internet calls (possibly -spkg upgrade should do the trick).

~Familyman~
Familyman

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 08:12    Post subject:  Logo Idea for alphaOS Linux  

simargl wrote:
If someone has any idea about the logo it would be very appreciated, also if you want to contribute good choice is to use svg format from inkscape.

While the suggestion I have might not qualify as great, I would be more than happy if this could initiate an discussion about the philosophy behind the image to be projected by this distro.

The word "alpha" is integral to the logo for the OS.

After a scan of the images of various Linux distros I noted that none of them have appropriated the symbol for infinity.

I believe the infinite possibilities for the alphaOS - be it small size, fast operation from memory, versatility of choices for configuration, the rolling release nature of the alphaOS all could be best conveyed by using the INFINITY symbol.

Idea I am not an expert on artwork. Hence I suggest that some other PuppyLinux community member who is using this distro come up with the .svg format of our alphaOS logo with an artistic interpretation of the symbol for infinity.

It might get incorporated by simargl in alphaOS version 7 (since ver.6 is due tomorrow and it might be too late to use this now).

~Familyman~
futwerk

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 19:01    Post subject:  

a few backgrounds.
alphami11,1b.jpg
 Description   http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
 Filesize   30.93 KB
 Viewed   648 Time(s)

alphami11,1b.jpg

alphami11,1a.jpg
 Filesize   24.32 KB
 Viewed   630 Time(s)

alphami11,1a.jpg

alphami11,1.jpg
 Filesize   30.36 KB
 Viewed   636 Time(s)

alphami11,1.jpg

simargl

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 07:48    Post subject:  

Version 6.0 has been released with new GNU C Compiler (4.8.0), modern desktop notifications (notify-osd), spkg upgrade function... Full changelog here http://alphaos.freeforums.org/announcements-f9.html
yr1945

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 09:15    Post subject: abiword and gnumeric  

over the years of using puppylinux, i have accumulated numerous abiword and gnumeric documents... i tried using libreoffice to open and utilize these documents... but, with little success... will someone point me in the direction of an abiword and gnumeric sfs that i can load so that i can continue using alphaos? thank you
simargl

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 10:19    Post subject:  

You can try with converting arch packages, and then save files to compatible format (.odt) for Libre Office.

spkg -gi enchant
paka -Syu
paka -S abiword-2.8.6-8-i686.pkg.tar.xz
paka -S wv-1.2.9-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
paka -S libgsf-1.14.26-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
paka -S goffice0.8-0.8.17-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz
yr1945

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 11:10    Post subject:  

thanks, but didn't work, i installed all packages and changed the abiword file format to.odt

does an abiword and gnumeric sfs exist?

thanks again...
Familyman

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 11:34    Post subject:  alphaOS Version 6.0 Bug Report  

simargl wrote:
Version 6.0 has been released with new GNU C Compiler (4.8.0), modern desktop notifications (notify-osd), spkg upgrade function... Full changelog here http://alphaos.freeforums.org/announcements-f9.html

I tried out the new rolling release of alphaOS and found the following packages broken in my system:

1. Yarock: Apparently the new exploit of having Simple Radio display song title (I found this worked only with 2 radio stations - and that too not continuously updated. For this one needs to select the radio station again manually to see the song title currently playing) results in the Radio Browser button not being displayed.

2. Internet Problem: Even though my netbook is connected through ethernet LAN, I get the message that the internet is not connected and hence no spkg updates shown.

3. Date Problem: Linked to this is the related setting of hwclock. My system no longer adjusts to the local time as it is not synced to the net at the outset.

But the real dealbreaker has to be the missing shoutcast and icecast radio stations which I listen to live rather than indexing my existing music collection. Incidentally using the save file from alphaOS Version 5.0 only remedied the situation in the limited sense that my favourite radio streams were there and played with ver 6.0. But as soon as I move to some other view - library, playlist or history; the whole thing disappeared and even then the Radio Browser button was not visible at the top even though the radio stations played from my bookmarks.

Hope these issues are sorted out in a later release.

~Familyman~

PS: GLAD TO NOTE THE ARTWORK LOGOS FOR alphaOS - WE SEEM TO BE ON OUR WAY!
simargl

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 13:10    Post subject:  

List of 22 upgraded packages, type spkg -upgrade and earlier installed packages will be replaced.
    apr-util-1.5.2-1.spkg
    clutter-1.14.2-1.spkg
    converseen-0.6.2-1.spkg
    filezilla-3.7.0.1-1.spkg
    flashplugin-11.2.202.280-1.spkg
    freeglut-2.8.1-2.spkg
    garcon-0.2.1-1.spkg
    git-1.8.2.3-1.spkg
    gnome-calculator-3.8.2-1.spkg
    gnome-mines-3.8.1-1.spkg
    gnome-tetravex-3.8.1-1.spkg
    gnutls-3.1.11-1.spkg
    json-glib-0.16.0-1.spkg
    libgcrypt-1.5.2-1.spkg
    libxfce4util-4.10.1-1.spkg
    nettle-2.7-1.spkg
    qpdfview-0.4.3-1.spkg
    smplayer-0.8.5-1.spkg
    xfce4-panel-4.10.1-1.spkg
    xfce4-session-4.10.1-6.spkg
    xfce4-settings-4.10.1-3.spkg
    xfwm4-4.10.1-2.spkg

if you notice some problems please report
edit:
@Familyman
I tested yarock for icecast and shoutcast radio streams and they all worked, although this program seems very cpu intensive while building list of stations. There is a problem in that mplayer phonon backend does not support equalizer, gstreamer is required, but I guess we can live without that.
mark41844

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2013, 18:08    Post subject:  

simargl,

I have try AlphaOS on my laptop everything since to be working except my netgear W511 pcmcia wireless card. It requires ndiswrapper with marvell 8335 windows driver. Please let me know where I can download the ndiswrapper for AlphaOS?

Thanks for your help!
simargl

PostPosted: Wed 15 May 2013, 02:45    Post subject:  

ndiswrapper-1.58-1.spkg compiled and added to the repository,

This does not have GUI helper, but it's not hard to setup if you follow Arch Wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup#ndiswrapper
Familyman

PostPosted: Wed 15 May 2013, 03:30    Post subject:  

simargl wrote:
edit:
@Familyman
I tested yarock for icecast and shoutcast radio streams and they all worked, although this program seems very cpu intensive while building list of stations. There is a problem in that mplayer phonon backend does not support equalizer, gstreamer is required, but I guess we can live without that.

Hi simargl,

Thanks for the heads up!

I resolved my YaRock issue in a rather simple manner. I am sharing my story below:

YaRock in alphaOS ver 6.0 on my 7" screen was not showing the Radio Browser button at the top in the toolbar and was not accessible in the left column either owing to screen space issues. (This wasn't the case with YaRock in alphaOS ver 5.0 which had the Radio Browser button at the top right of the toolbar and hence I could access all the live streams).

I just maximised the App by pressing the centre button for minimising and closing the window. Voila! I had the scroll bars whereby I could click and wait for the Shoutcast stream to load - it took a while like you already mentioned.

So I can report that this release is free of issues on my laptop.

~Familyman~
Page 26 of 47 [697 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 45, 46, 47 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: