alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mike delaw

#361 Post by mike delaw »

Bad news: Grub4DOS doesn't work well with the new release. After search only in this device is clicked, it doesn't detect those 4 files for frugal install - only Windows.

God news: LinuxLive USB Creator doesn't recognize AlphaOS, but it installs it without problems.

simargl

#362 Post by simargl »

Hi mike

did you put those files inside folder alphaos, because I tried installation that way to usb drive and it works.

smil99

#363 Post by smil99 »

Added packages:
plank-bzr-817-1.spkg
sylpheed-3.3.0-1.spkg .....
Thanks simargl :)
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

mike delaw

#364 Post by mike delaw »

simargl wrote:Hi mike

did you put those files inside folder alphaos, because I tried installation that way to usb drive and it works.
I installed alphaos with Lili on USB and booted it. Then I put alphaos file on another USB. Then I opened Grub4DOS, found the second USB and clicked search only in this device. Alphaos is not found ...

Nevermind. I will use Lili to use alphaos.

simargl

#365 Post by simargl »

SpaceFM mounting script modified to support notifications using notify-osd program, same as used in Ubuntu. Deadbeef, gnome-mplayer and volumeicon are recompiled to work with libnotify and show notifications like this on song change or volume up/down.
Attachments
3.jpg
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 838 times
2.jpg
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 836 times
1.jpg
(10.57 KiB) Downloaded 834 times

smil99

#366 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
How does one take advantage of the various improvements/enhancements that you have been making lately? If my memory serves me right, I think I saw an improved ffmpeg and font rendering earlier in this thread and now the above on notifications. Do they automatically appear in spkg?

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]

simargl

#367 Post by simargl »

You can check if there is font improvement after reinstalling two packages from this thread http://alphaos.freeforums.org/ubuntu-s- ... s-t86.html. That and other changes will be in next release, I'm just waiting for spacefm to update on next version which has some new desktop features

bark_bark_bark

#368 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Attachments
37637661.jpg
(58.71 KiB) Downloaded 781 times

simargl

#369 Post by simargl »

simple-radio modified to show song title notification on radio startup. This does not work for all stations because they don't all provide that info. Also simple-radio now uses mplayer as backend not mpg123 as before.
Attachments
4.jpg
(9.3 KiB) Downloaded 749 times

simargl

#370 Post by simargl »

I compiled lm_sensors package (it will be in main iso) and made service file which loads
needed module smsc47b397 for my computer on boot. For others it will be different module,
so you would need to run sensors-detect to find out what is needed module and manually
replace smsc47b397 in /etc/init.d/sensors. sensors-detect is perl script so make sure devel module is loaded...
Output:

Code: Select all

[root@alphaos ~]# sensors
smsc47b397-isa-0480
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1:        1317 RPM
fan2:           0 RPM
fan3:           0 RPM
fan4:         924 RPM
temp1:        +44.0 C  
temp2:         +0.0 C  
temp3:        +43.0 C  
temp4:         +0.0 C  

[root@alphaos ~]# 

smil99

#371 Post by smil99 »

simargl wrote:
You can check if there is font improvement after reinstalling two packages from this thread http://alphaos.freeforums.org/ubuntu-s- ... s-t86.html. That and other changes will be in next release, I'm just waiting for spacefm to update on next version which has some new desktop features
Thanks for the info. Anxiously awaiting the next release :) .
Cheers.

simargl

#372 Post by simargl »

If someone has any idea about the logo it would be very appreciated, also if you want to contribute good choice is to use svg format from inkscape.

Some minor changes:
* volumeicon recompiled without libnotify, when notifications are enabled it occasionally just freeze, stop responding :(
* util-linux downgraded to 2.22.2; with version 2.23 sfs unloading is broken - it reports success but module is still loaded, and if I run sfs_load with -d option (debug) it shows something like "cannot disassociate /dev/loop6" :?

simargl

#373 Post by simargl »

new package upgrade function, how does it work?
After you type spkg upgrade
first is executed function spkg update, to sync local repository data with mirror
then it goes through list of installed packages in /initrd/pup_rw/var/lib/spkg/installed (means only in save file)
if package with that name exists in repository script compares version-revision variables of installed package with that from mirror and if they are different execute command
spkg -r pkgname
spkg -gi pkgname

imago

#374 Post by imago »

the system have boot in consol, It had window manager is not set, why so?

simargl

#375 Post by simargl »

imago wrote:the system have boot in consol, It had window manager is not set, why so?
Hi imago
that means adrive which has openbox window manager and other programs is not recognized or not present on your usb or hard disk partition. What method did you use for installing, just check that you have both of two main sfs alpha.sfs and extra.sfs on target device.

imago

#376 Post by imago »

Hi, simargl, i have not extra.sfs, i copyid systems fils from iso and maybe forgot abaot extra.sfs

simargl

#377 Post by simargl »

I compiled spacefm latest from git, and that will replace spacefm-0.8.7 in next version. It brings
many improvements if you need icons on desktop like: set borders, align to grid, moveable
icons, change text label color. Version 6.0 will be released tomorrow (changelog is pretty big).

After that will upgrade some packages in repository, so alphaOS is not just Puppy From Scratch it is rolling release Puppy.

ndrancs

new release

#378 Post by ndrancs »

simargl wrote:I compiled spacefm latest from git, and that will replace spacefm-0.8.7 in next version. It brings
many improvements if you need icons on desktop like: set borders, align to grid, moveable
icons, change text label color. Version 6.0 will be released tomorrow (changelog is pretty big).

After that will upgrade some packages in repository, so alphaOS is not just Puppy From Scratch it is rolling release Puppy.
Thanks a lot sim, i have waiting for it. ;) :)

Familyman

alphaOS 6.0

#379 Post by Familyman »

Dear simargl,

There are reasons why I eagerly look forward to the goodies in the new rolling release of alphaOS 6!

Besides the improvements mentioned by simargl to spacefm, new packages in the repository; it is the tiny little things that make a huge difference to old systems like the EeePC 2G Surf netbook that I still use.

I have noticed while logging in with the latest Firefox 20.0.1 browser using Windows XP on the netbook, Yahoo Mail would intimate me that the screen size is not optimal (they apparently need a minimum of 1024x768 pixels).

But logging in with Firefox ESR 17 browser on alphaOS gives me no such warning message in Y!Mail. It possibly notes that the 800x480 pixel screen is native to my EeePC!

I look forward to the package Skype being included in the repository so that one could use it for internet calls (possibly -spkg upgrade should do the trick).

~Familyman~

Familyman

Logo Idea for alphaOS Linux

#380 Post by Familyman »

simargl wrote:If someone has any idea about the logo it would be very appreciated, also if you want to contribute good choice is to use svg format from inkscape.
While the suggestion I have might not qualify as great, I would be more than happy if this could initiate an discussion about the philosophy behind the image to be projected by this distro.

The word "alpha" is integral to the logo for the OS.

After a scan of the images of various Linux distros I noted that none of them have appropriated the symbol for infinity.

I believe the infinite possibilities for the alphaOS - be it small size, fast operation from memory, versatility of choices for configuration, the rolling release nature of the alphaOS all could be best conveyed by using the INFINITY symbol.

:idea: I am not an expert on artwork. Hence I suggest that some other PuppyLinux community member who is using this distro come up with the .svg format of our alphaOS logo with an artistic interpretation of the symbol for infinity.

It might get incorporated by simargl in alphaOS version 7 (since ver.6 is due tomorrow and it might be too late to use this now).

~Familyman~