Program packaging and support files

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
8-bit

Program packaging and support files

#1 Post by 8-bit »

How many times have you installed a Pet package only to see that not all the dependencies were met?
And even worse, uninstalled the Pet package and had library support files disappear.
I ask because I ran across a game that seems to take care of the problem.
It is packaged with all the dependencies it needs in the game directory and uses a startup script that uses a line to include those included library files without disturbing those in Puppy.
The line is simular to:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/home/RickRocket-1.0/usr/share/RickRocket":.

I have this game in a directory in /mnt/home and when I tried to run it directly, it failed.
But with an edit of the script to change it to the path I had it in, it worked fine.
And if the game is uninstalled, one does not have to wonder if it took some legacy library files with it.

Mind you, this is just a suggestion that one can include all support library files without overwriting any existing ones and takes care of having to hunt the required library files if they are not included.

The method reminds me of Apple in that to remove an application or game from it, one just put the application/game directory in the trash bin since all needed files were included with the application/game.

Adagio

#2 Post by Adagio »

Simple solutions..

Gobo Linux does it that way.
Slax does it with modules.

You'll never leave Puppy, me either. :)