How to remaster starting with basics only?

Booting, installing, newbie
admin0

How to remaster starting with basics only?

#1 Post by admin0 »

Hi,

Thank you for the answers to my previous query. It helped me a lot, and I am able to remaster now,and its working :)

What I am doing is installing a specific application as proof-of-concept, and though it is working, the iso size is around 160MB.

I was wondering if it was possible somehow to completely remove all packages that comes in: Graphic, Document, Business, Personal, Network, Multimedia and Fun. Not remove just from the menu, but not to include them ( with their dependencies in the first place ), somehow to try to reduce the iso size.
In the IRC, i was suggested to build my own, but I have no idea where to start from. I am kind of looking for a barebone version, to which I can add my own ( preferably debian based, so that I can just install my apps from the deb )

Thanks,

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

There used to be a stripped-down Puppy that was intended for just that purpose, but it's pretty old. I think the problem with removing packages is it tends to bork Puppy. It requires a lot of testing to be sure you haven't inadvertently broken something.

Having said that, you might try this method.

Ray MK

#3 Post by Ray MK »

Hi admin0

Pussy linux is debian and may be useful http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69475 - 91Mb server edition?

Or - jrb has made some excellent barebone puppy’s http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84184 - all outstanding.

HTH - best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

tallboy wrote:Good luck, and keep us updated.
.off topic : tallboy, whats up with your hdd ? Does it rust in peace ?

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

Karl, thank you for your interest. No, I'll take it to the gurus at the uni, and see if they can salvage some of the contents. If not, 12 Gb of articles, tech tips and other stuff relating to my old Dodge, that I have gathered over a 20 year period, is lost, along with 6-7Gb puppy stuff. I was happy when I found a month old backup of my 1.4 Gb genalogy stuff collected during a lifetime, and I have a lot of different copies of small stuff spread on many harddisks.
I have always believed in turning your life upside down from time to time, to make it more interesting to live, so if it is lost I will just start from scratch again. :D

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.