Wireless Printer setup

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
gerryggg

Wireless Printer setup

#1 Post by gerryggg »

I've searched both this forum and the Brother website and still haven't found the correct answer to my problem. I have a small home network that consists of 7 computers. One laptop runs Windows 8 only, one desktop and one laptop run Windows 7 only. There is a desktop dual booting Win8 and Kubuntu 13.04 and two desktops running Precise Puppy. I primarily use the Puppy machines as jukeboxes. I bought my wife a Brother MFC-J435W wireless printer. I have been able to get it to work on every machine and configuration except the Puppy machines. I have installed the Brother drivers for the machine and they show up in the package manager as installed. However when I open the CUPS page it can't find the printer. All the other machines easily saw the machine and the Win8 and the Kubuntu machines even automatically installed the drivers. (I did have to download the driver on the Kubuntu machine). Anyone able to tell me how to get the Precise to find the printer?

tytower

#2 Post by tytower »

Uhh have you tried "add printer?"
Just to check
The other thing is the radio drivers in Puppy seem to be lacking someone responsible to look after new ones . I had a lot of trouble just getting my wireless TPLink dongle and Digitech dongle to work at all and I am still not using them due to unknown difficulties connecting

rcrsn51

Re: Wireless Printer setup

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

gerryggg wrote:However when I open the CUPS page it can't find the printer.
CUPS is sometimes slow to detect networked printers. Click on Find New Printers several times. If your MFC-J435W is still not detected, read here for instructions on doing a manual install.

How did you install the Brother drivers? Have you used the Puppy procedure here? It also has information about networking Brother printers.

gerryggg

#4 Post by gerryggg »

tytower wrote:Uhh have you tried "add printer?"
Just to check
The other thing is the radio drivers in Puppy seem to be lacking someone responsible to look after new ones . I had a lot of trouble just getting my wireless TPLink dongle and Digitech dongle to work at all and I am still not using them due to unknown difficulties connecting
Yes, several times, but the printer isn't found. The only choice it gives me is the PDF writer. I'm going to try some of the ideas that rcrsn51 suggests in his post. I have to go do Mother's Day stuff right now but will get back with the results. Thanks for the help.

tytower

#5 Post by tytower »

OK sometimes these things are not intuitive and its not until someone points it out that the penny drops .

You should get to here http://localhost:631/admin and I notice if you go in via setup->cups-> it asks you if you want to add a printer and brings up a box dealing with Brother printers and gives some helpful advice too
The browser opens over the top of that box but its still there so click on the tray below to read through it

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

gerryggg wrote:I have to go do Mother's Day stuff right now but will get back with the results.
No reply?