Precise Puppy 5.5, released March 9, 2013

Please post any bugs you have found
James C

#101 Post by James C »

Sage wrote:How did you do that , James?
Every time I wrapped the URL, the panel returned blank. Perhaps John is at home today?!
I'll try it again:
http://puppylinux.info/topic/precise-puppy-5592-56beta1

Yup, there it goes again - blank panel when the URL is wrapped. Remove them and it shows again. Don't believe in gremlins.
Just lucky I guess. :)
Or lots of practice......

http://puppylinux.info/topic/precise-puppy-5592-56beta1

drphysic

Failed Frugal install

#102 Post by drphysic »

Running a Compaq Presario V6000, CeleronM with 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
Base system: Xubuntu 12.10 formatted ext4 file system

Tried to perform a frugal install of both 5.4.3 and the new 5.5 Precise: install completed, in the sense that the proper files were copied onto the HD, but when I attempted to do a GRUB configure, it would not load files onto the ext4 file system, returning "/mnt/sda is not Linux" and stopping.

Xubuntu has, I believe, GNU GRUB installed, and does not use a menu.lst file to control the load process as far as I can see. The file that does list the possible boot options is in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file, which is warned as not to be modified.

I can run all Precise versions from the live CD, or a USB flash drive, but cannot complete a frugal install; any suggestions?

DRB

sszindian

Precise-5.5.92

#103 Post by sszindian »

peebee wrote:

Hi there

Which Network Manager are you using? Frisbee has been much improved by rerwin and is included in Precise 5.6Beta - it has the drop-out logic you seem to need - and there are parameters you can tweak to change how quickly it resets your connection on drop-out...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi peebee... No, I have almost always used the SNS of BK's to config WiFi... I had some mixed experience with Frisbee back around the start of Saluki and never messed with it again... I will for sure try the Frisbee on 5.5.92 and see how it goes... 'Thanks for the tip!'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rerwin

dropwait

#104 Post by rerwin »

peebee, sszindian,
Thanks, peebee, for responding to sszindian about the dropwait feature. Even if you do not stay with frisbee, you can use the "dropwait" delay with the other network managers. Although they do not give you the means to set a delay value, there are 2 ways to do it.

1. Use frisbee temporarily to set a delay value, nominally 15 seconds: In frisbee, click "Diagnostics" then "Set Drop Timeout" and enter a value. Note that you can expect network startup time to increase by that amount, at least if you stay with frisbee but perhaps not with SNS. That is because there may be a disconnection and reconnection involved in startup in "frisbee mode" (meaning that frisbee was the last network manager used). After setting the value you can exit both frisbee windows and return to SNS. The value will remain and should be effective after that.

2. The direct way to set a value is to create the file that contains it, without resorting to frisbee, at all. On a command line, enter:
  • echo -n 15 > /etc/dhcpcd_dropwait_secs
You can use any number of seconds between 0 and 120.

BTW, note that I changed the default dropwait setting in frisbee-1.1 to disable it (0 -- actually just removed /etc/dhcpcd_dropwait_secs), to avoid the above-mentioned startup delay. So, anyone depending on a delay needs to set it, one way or the other.

EDIT: Similarly, the connection notification popups that frisbee includes can be used without frisbee by creating the file that controls it. It is a null file and can be copied or renamed from /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify.bak to /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify. Or use the command:
  • echo -n > /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify
(or touch /etc/dhcpcd_state_notify).

Because these features are now part of woof, frisbee need not be installed at all, for them to be usable.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 10 May 2013, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

sszindian

Precise-5.5.92

#105 Post by sszindian »

It appears that setting up WiFi with Frisbee has eliminated the 'drop problem' at least so far. 'Thanks pebee, rerwin.' Running straight on Frisbee to see how far it will go!

All else working great except for one other little issue that is happening again in all the recent puppy's.

Analog Clock keeps disappearing from the desktop in Pwidgets and the plague has carried through to 5.5.92! We only have Pwidgets and Conky for desktop widgets. Myself, I like Pwidgets and it's really a pain having to reload it all the time to have a nice looking desktop.

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#106 Post by pemasu »

Pwidgets has not been maintained for a long time now. The locations the scripts try to find hardware information has changed with these more or less recent kernels.
Also conky beneath the shell is old compile.
I believe Pwidgets would need newer conky and also fixing the Pwidget scripts from several places.
I would use newer conky with conky stuff if you want to have desktop conky features.

sszindian

Pwidgets

#107 Post by sszindian »

Thanks for that info on the Pwidgets pemasu... at least now I know not to test there with various puppy distro's! Maybe someone will get something else going like Screenlets or something down the road... then again maybe Conky will be the new kid on the desktop? Or... maybe just nothing?

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#108 Post by pemasu »

Some playing with conky stuff. You get decent stuff with conky and bluelua.

http://i.imgur.com/689ieiD.jpg

npierce

BusyBox telnet doesn't pass Ctrl-j anymore.

#109 Post by npierce »

This is not a Puppy-specific bug, except in the sense that Puppy is using an upstream application that is buggy.

I have reported this bug to Denys Vlasenko who maintains Busybox. But I thought that I should also report it here so that folks will be aware of the problem and the need to install a real telnet package or an earlier version of BusyBox if using an application that requires Ctrl-j.

Here is an excerpt from my bug report to Denys Vlasenko:
Using v1.21.0 of BusyBox, the telnet applet sends Ctrl-m when I press
Ctrl-j. Obviously, this creates problems for an application that expects
to receive Ctrl-j when I press Ctrl-j.

Former versions of BusyBox did not have this problem. I suspect line 204
in networking/telnet.c:

if (c == '\r' || c == '\n') {

rerwin

Additional analog modem drivers - LSI/Agere/Lucent, Pctel

#110 Post by rerwin »

The attached are modem drivers that were not included in precise pups 5.4-5.5, pctel and martian (Lucent). They require their associated firmware packages:
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pac ... 130514.pet
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pac ... 121004.pet

The two parts of the pctel pet must be concatenated. I provide the informal script for that. After all parts are downloaded and 'splitpetjoin' installed, use the file name of one of the parts as the argument for the script. For example:
splitpetjoin linux_module_pctel-0.9.7-9-12-k3.2.29.pet---part1.pet

Even if nobody cares to add these drivers to their 5.4/5.5 precise puppy, they should be uploaded to the /quirky/pet_packages library to complete the set of modem drivers.
Richard
Attachments
splitpetjoin.pet
(576 Bytes) Downloaded 542 times
linux_module_martian-20100123-k3.2.29.pet
LSI/Agere/Lucent martian modem driver
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
linux_module_pctel-0.9.7-9-12-k3.2.29.pet---part2.pet
pctel modem driver part 2 of 2
(177.35 KiB) Downloaded 549 times

azstew

#111 Post by azstew »

Battery life for me, too, is terrible, using permasu's non-PAE Precise.
I got less than 1 hour use.

I get 2.5 hours from 5.25 lucid.

Edit: Also, CPU temp went from 44c to 55c at idle.

(Old netbook, EEEpC, 900A)

backi

#112 Post by backi »

Hi !

Desktop icons and fonts disappear after PPM installs program .

There is something wrong for me when i trying to download from Ppacketmanager . (not in every case ) .... but on a lot of occasions when process of downloading continues suddenly all my fonts become Squares and the whole rox pictures and fonts are just a red triangle and completely unreadable .Then i must shut down.

Cant use Ppacketmanager .
Same with UPUP RARING 5.8.7
Could it maybe have something to do with the fact i have in Puppy Eventmanager"never save to ram Pupmode=0 " never save to ram " configured ?

Who can help ..similar problem ?
Here someone with same problem.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewt ... 1ae2ce2210

npierce

re: Desktop icons and fonts disappear after PPM installs...

#113 Post by npierce »

backi,

This sounds similar to a problem that appeared last autumn related to using multiarch directories for libraries.

What output do you get for this command?:

Code: Select all

grep -E "^DISTRO_ARCHDIR|IDSTRING" /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
Also, please report the output of the following command, both when your icons and fonts are good, and again after downloading a package has messed them up:

Code: Select all

ls -l /lib/i386-linux-gnu /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
If you can tell us the name of a specific package (and which repository it was in) which causes this problem when it is downloaded, that would also be helpful.

backi

#114 Post by backi »

Hi npierce

What output do you get for this command?:
Code:
grep -E "^DISTRO_ARCHDIR|IDSTRING" /etc/DISTRO_SPECS

# grep -E "^DISTRO_ARCHDIR|IDSTRING" /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
DISTRO_IDSTRING='p130507213117ZZZZ5.5.92XXXXXXXXX'
DISTRO_ARCHDIR='i386-linux-gnu'
#

When codes are good :

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2 Mai 7 15:26 /lib/i386-linux-gnu -> ./
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2 Mai 7 15:26 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu -> ./

i have in Puppy Eventmanager"never save to ram Pupmode=0 " never save to ram " configured .Nevertheless it does save .
There for i installed a pet from pemasu "usb-no-save-petget-fix-0.0.1.pet " to stop direct saving to Usbstick .

Trouble starts when i install this pet ......(works fine on Dpupexprimo ---Macpup ...)....
after installing this pet the PPmanagers appearence change somehow.
And trouble starts .
But not with every download from Repos ( for example "xaos " no problem---
downloading openshot or sensord for example... the whole apparatus crashes ).

When everythings messed up (after installing pemasus usb-no-save-petget-fix-0.0.1.pet )

terminal output :

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 2 Mai 7 15:26 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu -> ./

THis is what i got when i try to install "sensord" from PPM which messedup the whole show .

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:
total 56
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Feb 21 2012 libsensors.so.4 -> libsensors.so.4.3.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54780 Feb 21 2012 libsensors.so.4.3.1

pemasu

#115 Post by pemasu »

Backi. That pet was for woof build december 2011 and for Dpup Exprimo. That pet overwrites so many woof scripts that it surely messes your Precise Puppy.
You can use that pet with Dpup Exprimo build 12/2011, not with anything else. Period.

You should not install pets from Dpup Exprimo thread and expect that all of them works with recent woof builds. Those pets along the thread are usually meant for builds created with the woof at that time. Of course many pets are generic. But not all. You should extract the pets before installing them and check if they overwrite existing scripts and what scripts they overwrite.

backi

#116 Post by backi »

Hi !
Ok! I know this"usb-no-save-petget-fix-0.0.1.pet " is not meant for Puppy Precise . But it did help prevent direct save to USB when installing pets or downloading from PPM. (For the price ruining PPmanager).
Maybe someone can instruct me me how to avoid saving to Usbstick in Precise and Upup Raring too after installing pets or downloads from PPmanager . ( in case something is going wrong )

Choosing to save or not to save at shutdown I guess i am not the only one who likes this feature.

Thanks !

npierce

#117 Post by npierce »

I see that pemasu has identified the problem.

Yes, the current installpkg.sh script has code to ensure that files that live in multiarch directories (e.g., /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/) in packages from Ubuntu (and some other distros) are placed in their proper Puppy locations. The version of installpkg.sh in the old Dpup Exprimo .pet you installed was from a time before that code was added. So for any package you subsequently installed, installpkg.sh would not place files from multiarch directories into the proper Puppy directories; worse, it could break the link to some of the files already in Puppy. That is what happened in this case.
backi wrote:ls -l /lib/i386-linux-gnu /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:
total 56
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Feb 21 2012 libsensors.so.4 -> libsensors.so.4.3.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54780 Feb 21 2012 libsensors.so.4.3.1
Installing the sensord package caused a new directory, /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/, to be created and installed libsensors.so.4.3.1 as the only library in it. This overwrote the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu symlink so that some existing libraries could no longer be found. One result of that is that some of your icons and fonts no longer displayed correctly.

(Of course there could be many other problems from libraries being lost. And installpkg.sh wasn't the only script in the .pet -- as pemasu already pointed out, there are many others -- so there could be many problems beyond the lost library problem.)

backi wrote:Maybe someone can instruct me me how to avoid saving to Usbstick in Precise and Upup Raring too after installing pets or downloads from PPmanager . ( in case something is going wrong )
Well, I don't have specific instructions for you, but perhaps I can point you in the right direction.

The "user flash-drive save-control option" was originally one item in a multi-item patch that rerwin made for Lucid Puppy 528-002 and 528-003 on 2011-Dec-07. The next day he refined it and created the update_save_layer_func() function in rc.shutdown to hold most of the code. That version of rc.shutdown is the same as the one you have in usb-no-save-petget-fix-0.0.1.pet.

The function creates /etc/shutdown_save_mode to store your preference. That file is later read by snapmergepuppy and rc.shutdown itself.

If you are really good at deciphering shell scripts, you could study that function, how it is called, and how /etc/shutdown_save_mode is used by snapmergepuppy and rc.shutdown. Then you could study the current rc.shutdown and snapmergepuppy in Precise to see how saving to a USB drive may (or may not) have changed since 2011. Once you understand both, you could then modify rc.shutdown and snapmergepuppy in Precise to give you what you want.

If that sounds like too much of a challenge for you, you might let rerwin know how useful his patch has been to you, and suggest that he create a similar patch for Precise. (From reading these forums, one can see that rerwin is a busy man, so he might not have the time for that, but it would be worth asking.)

backi

#118 Post by backi »

Hi npierce and pemasu !

Thanks for taking some time looking deeper into the probleme mentioned above . I am just a linux schoolkid .You gave me very kindly some guidance into direction. But thats way beyond my small horizon .
I will keep on promoting for further investigation into this topic .

Thanks !!

npierce

#119 Post by npierce »

Hi backi,

You're welcome.

backi

#120 Post by backi »

Hello pemasu,npierce and everyone !

Found another solution for problem installing pets debs or downloads from PPmanager„ not to save them to USB Flash on demand, without spoiling PPmanager „ for Puppy Precise ,,probably on Raring too .(did not test yet )

1.Download somewhere the script „nosaveshutdown „ make it executable .

2. Goto Puppy Event Manager > Save Session > Save interval (0=never )
Save to flash....Restart
Install petget20120418.pet from

Save to flash ..restart
Now you can install pets debs or downloads from PPmanager without spoiling it..If you like to keep them
either use „save2flash „ during session without shutting down ,
or saving session at shutdown ..just shutdown asusual session will be saved.

In case you dont want to save Changes /session ...just execute the script above „nosaveshutdown“ . Nothing will be saved to Flash .This works for me onPrecise Puppy 5.6 .

Install petget20120418.pet from
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/