Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 03:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 48 of 94 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, ..., 92, 93, 94 Next
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 06 May 2013, 04:11    Post_subject: Re: Wireless changes since 0.0.6?  

Marv wrote:
Frisbee no longer seems to accept a WEP key, either hex or ascii. Network wizard connects as usual. Try installing a default firewall. For me, even though the install script shows the same version as 006, installations get stuck requiring a full port by port description.

There is a problem with the XFaenza icon theme, it's causing some errors. Below is a link to the fixed theme that should solve these issues in the mean time. Just extract it to /usr/share/icons or if you want it in the sfs right click puppy_lina_007.sfs and edit it with "repack-extract packages".

This is geoffrey's fix by the way, mine still had issues. Sad

XFaenza.tar.gz

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 06 May 2013, 07:27    Post_subject: Re: Icewm XFCE conflict in Carolina?  

Dromeno wrote:
I like to have a Saluki/Carolina with Icewm instead of xfce. But after installing and activating Icewm, Saluki/Carolina still boots in xfce. Icewm starts on top of it.

Carolina was never intended to have any window manager other than XFCE, the fact that there is a icewm pet in the repo is that it is a leftover from saluki packages and a oversight on our part, it never worked correctly with Saluki either, jemimah intended it to be a single window manager environment desktop, we will not be supporting icewm.

Tote

PostPosted: Mon 06 May 2013, 10:25    Post_subject:  

007 The Bond puppy. Licensed to thrill?? Very Happy

Manual frugal install to HD partition, same issues with Frisbee, but connected with Network Wizard, I got lost trying to set Firewall, but very nice pup.

Thank you!
don570

PostPosted: Mon 06 May 2013, 13:35    Post_subject:  

Script to make bootable ISO. It doesn't require ISOmaster app.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=702176#702176
umair

PostPosted: Tue 07 May 2013, 00:38    Post_subject: Re: Elroy
Sub_title: SAMBA in Carolina

umair wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
@umair. Are you still having SAMBA issues?

hi gcmartin: I successfully install installed rcrsn51's samba-TNG. working fine. Now Can access the data from win7 machine. Now got an other strange problem. When I open file manager, it took 5 to 8 seconds to load and also the network which we access from pcman file manager, is disabled. When I tried to access network from the menu. I got the following error: Any Idea ???
Thnx in advance.

CAROLINA 007
Downloaded the ISO, Very impressive wall papers and icon themes. Working Superbly Smile. Also refer to the above issues in Carolina 006, It is confirmed that I successfully installed samba-TNG alongwith gvfs-smb. Both are working Fine Smile. Once Again Congr8s Geoffrey. Keep it up Wink
Regards
UMAIR
1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   25.68 KB
 Viewed   848 Time(s)

1.png

Dromeno

PostPosted: Tue 07 May 2013, 04:30    Post_subject: Some small flaws to fix  

OK, I can do without icewm now (I have found the keyboard settings dialog in xfce). Thanks!

small flaws: specto (website monitor) still does not start up properly. It is a great app, gives notice when a given url is updated (such as this thread). To my knowledge there is not other puppy which offers specto.

Carolina/Saluki also is the only puppy yet with a working pdfcube app. Which is great for presentations. But for that purpose it would be superb if a beamer/external monitor was recognized immediately like in lucid puppy. In lucid I only have to plug in the vga cable, do ctrl-alt-backspace & xwin and everything works fine on both the beamer and the laptop. In Carolina the beamer shows two wallpapers on top of eachother - the original blue Carolina wallpaper (top) and my own (bottom).

Chrome: I understand that the lighter (faster but older) kernel of Carolina can not work with new chromium browsers so a surrogate is available. But: most chrome extensions do not work anymore in this version. So I hope that somebody ever will discover a workaround...
Dromeno

PostPosted: Fri 10 May 2013, 03:29    Post_subject: Fast and beatiful!  

The beamer/2nd monitor problem is mostly solved when the VGA cable is plugged in before booting the machine. The xfce taskbar is not completely reliable (I have to ctrl-alt-backspace a few times to make it stay).

But these are minor problems: so far Carolina is among the fastest, if not the fastest puppy I have found yet. And the most beautiful one (xfce with working compiz&emerald). So THANX Smile Smile
rg66

PostPosted: Fri 10 May 2013, 10:02    Post_subject: Carolina - 0.0.7-rc2  

Carolina 007rc2 delta file has been released. Some cosmetic changes have been made as well as a few apps added. An add or remove favorites menu entry has been added that also works from the right click menu.

The firewall auto-config and frisbee issues have been fixed!

The lina-007rc iso is required for this delta and both can be downloaded from the link in the first post. A tutorial for making an iso from a delta file is located here
image.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   23.61 KB
 Viewed   686 Time(s)

image.jpg

Edited_time_total
Marv

PostPosted: Fri 10 May 2013, 17:42    Post_subject: Re: Carolina - 0.0.7-rc2  

rg66 wrote:
Carolina 007rc2 delta file has been released. Some cosmetic changes have been made as well as a few apps added. An add or remove favorites menu entry has been added that also works from the right click menu.

The firewall auto-config and frisbee issues have been fixed!

Indeed! and thanks. Posting from 007rc2 via frisbee WEP ascii key connect and firewall custom setup now also fine.

lvds

PostPosted: Sun 12 May 2013, 18:35    Post_subject:  

Hi everyone,

I have tested Carolina 0.0.7 rc2, it's a beautiful work really, amazing.
I noticed the following "things":
- Qt fonts are not the same as Gtk settings, so when you launch clementine for instance you get a weird display. I've set them to "Deja vu sans book" at 11 (Qt and Gtk) and it is much better Smile
- Faenza folder icons are blue, it seems to me the brown ones were much better... is it only me ? Razz

Best regards

lvds

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 02:25    Post_subject: fonts problem  

... I forgot to mention one more. I've been using Fifrefox a lot theses days and there seems to be something wrong with the fonts. Usually I don't have to tweak the firefox settings and don't change fonts, so I know the problem comes from the installed fonts. At first it seemed to me the serif and alike were to thin, but then I noticed the problem when the times like fonts are called - for large size it may be ok but on small size the display is really not good. So it's a general problem. When using ubuntu i can see the difference and tell the fonts in Carolina have a problem. For someone using the browser a lot it is something absolutely important Smile

Is there something we can do like updating the fonts package ? It's important not to change the firefox default settings.

Best regards

rg66

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 04:02    Post_subject:  

Carolina-007rc2-non-pae delta has been released for testing.

The lina-007rc iso is required for this delta and both can be downloaded from the link in the first post.

lvds

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 04:56    Post_subject: Re: fonts problem  

lvds wrote:
... I forgot to mention one more. I've been using Fifrefox a lot theses days and there seems to be something wrong with the fonts. Usually I don't have to tweak the firefox settings and don't change fonts, so I know the problem comes from the installed fonts. At first it seemed to me the serif and alike were to thin, but then I noticed the problem when the times like fonts are called - for large size it may be ok but on small size the display is really not good. So it's a general problem. When using ubuntu i can see the difference and tell the fonts in Carolina have a problem. For someone using the browser a lot it is something absolutely important Smile

Is there something we can do like updating the fonts package ? It's important not to change the firefox default settings.

Best regards

I confirm. I've tweaked the firefox default setup and changed the fonts to Droid and all problems disappeared. The look and feel is much better on pages with a lot of small fonts. Much more comfortable.

not sure the manual tweaking in firefox is a good idea though Confused

I did change also in the terminal, if anyone is interested. When you work long time in terminal, or have crowded pages like when top is loaded, in the end you can really have hard time to read the pages Shocked

Best regards

lvds

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 17:18    Post_subject:  

Hi everyone,

I tried to watch TV and discovered mms streams don't play. Does anyone have a solution ?

Best regards

xstylezx

PostPosted: Mon 13 May 2013, 23:42    Post_subject: Re: Some small flaws to fix  

Dromeno wrote:

Chrome: I understand that the lighter (faster but older) kernel of Carolina can not work with new chromium browsers so a surrogate is available. But: most chrome extensions do not work anymore in this version. So I hope that somebody ever will discover a workaround...

This is the deal breaker for me. I simply cannot and will not use outdated browser versions for many reasons, and not getting latest security fixes/updates is one of those reasons. However, I love carolinas looks and its professionalism. I mean, this puppy just screams high class! I just wish we could get some updated libraries so latest chromium can be used. Yes, I imagine I could use a newer firefox on carolina, and I do use firefox often. I wont just abandon chromium either, not when I dont have to. I always keep an eye on this thread in the hopes of updated libraries and a new chromium, never hurts to keep watch. Very Happy
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 48 of 94 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, ..., 92, 93, 94 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum