unable to access CUPS admin to add printer (SOLVED)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
titus

unable to access CUPS admin to add printer (SOLVED)

#1 Post by titus »

Full install Puppy NOP precise 5.4.3

Super version of Puppy, would be my No.1 but for my inability to get my printer working.
All attempts to get at CUPS admin page result in the Cups Web Interface Help Page. followed in a few seconds by "Could not connect to remote server" Localhost631 just doesn't want to know. I've tried a live version of Lupu and that works as normal. I've done the usual Googling and added "Allow all" all over the place in etc/cups/config but to no avail.
The odd thing is that my main distro is Precise 5.5 and I get a similar failure with that.
Anyone know if it's me, Precise or NOP?
Since first posting this, I've tried the Puppy NOP 5.4.3 as a live disk and I can access localhost:631 using that, it must be connected with the install.
Last edited by titus on Sat 11 May 2013, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Hey! I may be old, but I'm slow.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

This problem is usually caused by some third-party PET, DEB or SFS package that corrupts the Puppy filesystem.

titus

#3 Post by titus »

Thanks rcrsn51,
I was beginning to think of starting again with a re-install (trying CUPS before anything else), perhaps that's the way to go. I've been holding off because of the struggle I had getting LibreOffice to install. I'll go for a frugal installation this time, maybe it will be easier.

titus

#4 Post by titus »

A re-install (full) certainly made the difference to the CUPS admin page problem, I accessed it straight away. The LibreOffice SFS installed perfectly this time and my printer works with it. Glabels also installed without problem and prints as it should. My problem now is Photoprint, I've tried two different versions and both appeared to install perfectly until I tried to print when the application disappears from the screen without printing. This NOP sure is hard on me.
Any input gratefully received.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Does your NOP have PeasyPrint? It's not fancy, but it will print a decent 4x6 photo.

Regarding Photoprint: run it from the command line and see what error messages it throws. Where are you getting Photoprint?

I believe that Photoprint requires Gutenprint, which probably is not part of NOP.

titus

#6 Post by titus »

Thanks yet again rcrsn51,
PeasyPrint isn't up to the use I have for Photoprint (which involves printing numbers of specifically sized images on the same sheet).
Gutenprint is installed (I assume when installing the printer driver) but I installed the Footmatic bit as well, just in case.
Launching from the terminal all goes as expected until the print command when I get this:

In initialisepage()
Child process: 0
photoprint: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gutenprint/5.2/modules/print-escp2.so: undefined symbol: stp_write_raw
#

I initially installed the 0.4.2 version of photoprint from the package manager (Ubuntu stuff) but when that didn't work I removed it and installed a .pet - 0.3.9 - which I had used previously, from this forum.

I appreciate the time you're taking to help me on this, I've been using Linux since Ubuntu Dapper Drake but I never seem to progress beyond the newbie stage, it's probably because my short term memory is going. I've tried many distros but I keep coming back to Puppy largely because of the friendly, non judgmental forum members.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

titus wrote:photoprint: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gutenprint/5.2/modules/print-escp2.so: undefined symbol: stp_write_raw
This is a difficult situation - finding a version of Gutenprint that is compatible with both Photoprint and NOP.

Have you tried using Gimp instead?

What are you printing? Is it one image duplicated in a grid on the page?

titus

#8 Post by titus »

Hello rcrsn51,
I use Gimp for manipulating images but Photoprint is by far the most flexible application for printing. I can persuade Glabels to do quite a lot of similar work when I need numbers of small and specifically sized prints which need printing on the reverse side with accurate registration but it's just not as straight forward. I can certainly live without photoprint but I'd rather not.
The problem also appears in my recent installation of precise 5.5 but it did not in my earlier Lupu (5.2.8) so it looks like it's a version specific quirk from 5.4 on.
For some unknown reason a smiley face appears instead of a close bracket after 5.2.8, please ignore.

titus

#9 Post by titus »

Thanks to your input rcrsn51 I have solved the problem.
I took "usr/lib/gutenprint/5.2/modules/print-escp2.so" from my Lupulibre 5.28.005 disc and replaced the similarly named files in Precise 5.5 and NOP.
Both now work.
Thank you.