How do i shutdown slacko 5.5 at certain time? [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
hummpa

How do i shutdown slacko 5.5 at certain time? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by hummpa »

Hi all!
Would somebody be so kind and explain to me how to shutdown puppy slacko 5.5 at a certain time?The normal way (shutdown -h TIME) wont work.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by hummpa on Sat 11 May 2013, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

Puppy has no shutdown binary .

Puppy has a menu and an eventmanager script, where there should be a tab to put in a POWERTIMEOUT value .

hummpa

#3 Post by hummpa »

Dear Karl - thank you for your quick reply.I tried the eventmanager - if you mean the power inactivity tab - and wont work for me.If you have any more suggestions,please share it with me.

tommy

#4 Post by tommy »

not really an elegant solution, but if you plan to shutdown your pc after 4 hours (14400 seconds) open a console and:

Code: Select all

sleep 14400 && poweroff
:?: Will it work ? (never tried) BTW some puppies have also wmpoweroff and I don't know the difference .

EDIT: I have just tried ( 5 seconds timeout :-) ) and poweroff just shuts down X and kill programs without powering off the PC (at least in Turbopup). Now i'll try

sleep 5 && wmpoweroff
to see if it really shuts down the PC.

R-S-H

#5 Post by R-S-H »

not really an elegant solution, but if you plan to shutdown your pc after 4 hours (14400 seconds) open a console and:

sleep 14400 && poweroff
Question Will it work ? (never tried) BTW some puppies have also wmpoweroff and I don't know the difference .
Yes it will work. I do use exactly such solution in LazY Puppy to shut down my computer while I'm sleeping after watching a movie, listen some music or doing back actions. It puts an icon into the system tray when activated; a mouse click onto this icon interrupts the countdown and the icon disappears from the system tray.

I think wmpoweroff is to be used from within the running X Desktop and poweroff is for the use after exiting X Desktop.

RSH
Attachments
image-4.jpg
GUI for automated shutdown set to 2hrs 23mns
(15.44 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

hummpa

#6 Post by hummpa »

Thanks guys! Its working like a charm.

tommy

#7 Post by tommy »

Glad it works.
In Turbopup Extreme (based on Puppy 4.1.2) I had to :

sleep 14400 && wmpoweroff
to do the trick, as 'poweroff' doesn't shutdown my PC.

Bye!

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

hummpa wrote:Dear Karl - thank you for your quick reply.I tried the eventmanager - if you mean the power inactivity tab - and wont work for me.If you have any more suggestions,please share it with me.
The /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d script launced by /root/.xinitrc is responsible to handle the POWERTIMEOUT value, that the eventmanager should write into the /etc/eventmanager configuration file .
/sbin/pup_event_frontend_d sources that file once as it is launced from .xinitrc . If changes are written to /etc/eventmanager , pup_event_frontend_d does not check for it, while it is running .
pup_event_frontend_d has to be relaunched to source the new values from /etc/eventmanager file .

Normally this happens if X is restarted .
But you can restart it by the console like

echo 'fakequit' >/tmp/wmexitmode.txt
sleep 9
rm /tmp/wmexitmode.txt
pup_event_frontend_d

hummpa

#9 Post by hummpa »

Thanks,Karl!