Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
R-S-H

#641 Post by R-S-H »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello RSH, :)

You intrigue me a lot, I'll try this software I absolutely do not know.
Please, what is the link to this software?

Have a nice day !
Hi.

What Software are you talking about?

VSP-LazY-Puppy-Builder-Script?

SFS P.L.U.S.?

The ISOs?

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

natgab

#642 Post by natgab »

--Great! I will download when I get back home from work to load it on my laptop so I can see all the improvements. The pictures look great.

I hope you also try some of the other movies by the director, Hayao Miyazaki. I love all his movies.

Jejy69 wrote:Hello Natgab !

No problem, I kept the kernel without PAE. :wink:
What a coincidence, I finished watching Kiki anime today. :lol:
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

natgab

#643 Post by natgab »

Hi Jerome,

I installed beta 5 on my laptop, my small problems:

1) Had trouble with save file. First time got corrupted after I had added a few applications and tried to do first save. Wiped my USB, re-installed

and then save file worked fine with all my applications installed.

2) XORG opened to 800 x 600 and filled only 3/4 of screen. In beta 2 it opened up full screen at 800 x 600. (see picture)

3) Task Manager icon on bar is only halfway. If people don't know how to adjust settings, this might be a problem.

4) Desktop Preferences opened up behind the LXpup control center window, everything else opens in front.

5) I LOVE the small set of built-in applications. That is the other problem I have with regular Puppies (or Debian). I don't need 3 different

text editors and all those specialty applications that most people don't use. Gsplapt worked quick and easy to add Firefox and my regular applications.

6) Large button are great on the panels, no more accidents!

7) Installed VLC, did not work. Messed up GNOME player aftwards.

Now I don't have a working media player : ( <--Any ideas? I tried removing & re-installing VLC.

[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

Jejy69

#644 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Natgab !
I hope you also try some of the other movies by the director, Hayao Miyazaki. I love all his movies.
Yes ! My favorites are Mononoke Hime, Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi and Tenkū no shiro Rapyuta. The most famous, it seems. :)

Thanks for your report,

1) Strange thing, you reinstalled same apps between and after ?

2) Kernel seems to be too recent, I'll make an second ISO with an older one.

3) Indeed, I think it's because of the resolution. I search a solution.

4) I don't know how to fix it ><'

5) & 6) Good news !

7) VLC 2.0.6 is available. Compiled to allow root user. It works :D.
Don't forget to update Gslapt.

Thanks

Hello R-S-H,

I'm talking about VSP-LazY-Puppy-Builder-Script.

Thanks

:)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

R-S-H

#645 Post by R-S-H »

Hello R-S-H,

I'm talking about VSP-LazY-Puppy-Builder-Script.
Hi,

I assumed you meant this script, but was not sure! :lol:

Yeah, in fact this script is not known at all, because this is made for my own purposes and I could not imagine, it might be useful for other users and/or could be create some interest. So, that's why it is currently only usable for user that are able to read/speak/write German language. Also it is currently set up only for the use of the main SFS from my private LazY Puppy version 3 - which is not available on the web.

But there are some good news - hopefully...

I am currently working on this Script. Creating a nice GUI to set up preferences and stuff easily, adding option for the use of the main SFS from LazY Puppy 2.0.2 - which is still available on the web, adding popup Info GUIs etc.pp.

Unfortunately everything is still made in German language only. It's too much text, too specific somehow so, I'm not able to do the translations of the locales file.

When finishing my work on the script I'll try to find someone who is able to do the translations for this. If successful I'll return to this.

RSH
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(43.3 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
image-1.jpg
(47.6 KiB) Downloaded 735 times
image-3.jpg
(45.2 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

lvds

#646 Post by lvds »

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for your hard work ! I've been testing Lxpup 13.04 beta5 but I noticed severe issues.

My hardware is very common and works all out of the box with Slacko 5.5 or Precise 5.5 or upup-precise non pae kernel. But with your Lxpup I did not have sound and no network.

I love the overall look and feel, that is something I always thought puppy distributions need to improve. For instance the improved control center is excellent.

Another personal impression, I found weird to have graphics program but no internet browser.
If I had to choose I would say I prefer a browser rather than mtpaint or alike :-)

Finally, I did a retry with upup precise 3.8.3 then I put the lxpup sfs. My hardware was all working good.

I hope you can improve Lxpup, it's great :-)

Best regards

natgab

#647 Post by natgab »

---Jerome,

Beta5 does not like my Thinkpad. :cry: I had trouble again with the save file. So I did a clean wipe, and did a new install and only Firefox installed and I can't get it to save at first boot. It goes through steps and just stays in saving but never shuts down and won't reboot. I tried different sizes of save file too.

On forced reboot, the USB stick was showing as corrupted. I had to boot into Windows on my main computer ( I usually use OS X) to do a low level format on the USB stick. I am back to 13.04 beta2 for now.

---Anybody else have this problem with their computer?

EDIT: Problem was my USB. <- Forgot to set BOOT flag.

EDIT 2 I added Abiword, Gnumeric, FF 20, GIMP. All work fine. Still could not install VLC 2.0.6, install froze. Pidgin or emesene install but don't want to work. Maybe a library for Instant Messaging missing?
Last edited by natgab on Sun 12 May 2013, 19:04, edited 4 times in total.

Tote

#648 Post by Tote »

Some problems too, I can't get wireless connection ; failed to raise interface wlan0. Error! ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS; No such file or directory.

Also, strangely, CPU usage showing 70% :?

Thinkpad T61

natgab

#649 Post by natgab »

---I get 50% CPU usage with Firefox playing a Youtube video at 360p. How is your Thinkpad with video, I'm thinking of bumping up to a T60/61/X60? Most people on the Thinkpad forums use Windows, so comparisons aren't the same.
Tote wrote:Some problems too, I can't get wireless connection ; failed to raise interface wlan0. Error! ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS; No such file or directory.

Also, strangely, CPU usage showing 70% :?

Thinkpad T61

Tote

#650 Post by Tote »

Sent a PM about the T61.

pchan

#651 Post by pchan »

Hi Jerome,

I have tried your Lxpup 13.04 beta5.

Somehow, I find that lxpup 1212 is better for my low power acer one happy2 netbook. i really think Lxpup 1212 is one of the best puppy i have used. Anyway, the lxpup 13 is still in beta stage so I don't know yet if it can become better than Lxpup1212. It is hard to imagine anything better than Lxpup1212.

As usual, many thanks again and again!

natgab

#652 Post by natgab »

Did you try LX 13.01, the current stable version? It is a little bit newer kernel and applications thant LX 12.12.

I went back to it for now since the 13.04 beta5 was giving me trouble with Pidgin and VLC. My specs on my laptop don't seem to different from your Acer laptop.
pchan wrote:Hi Jerome,

I have tried your Lxpup 13.04 beta5.

Somehow, I find that lxpup 1212 is better for my low power acer one happy2 netbook. i really think Lxpup 1212 is one of the best puppy i have used. Anyway, the lxpup 13 is still in beta stage so I don't know yet if it can become better than Lxpup1212. It is hard to imagine anything better than Lxpup1212.

As usual, many thanks again and again!

pchan

#653 Post by pchan »

natgab wrote:Did you try LX 13.01, the current stable version? It is a little bit newer kernel and applications thant LX 12.12.

I went back to it for now since the 13.04 beta5 was giving me trouble with Pidgin and VLC. My specs on my laptop don't seem to different from your Acer laptop.
thanks for the recommendation. is lxpup 13.01 based on non pae? it is based on slacko 5.5 if i am not wrong.

although i have high opinion about lxpup 12.12, i am hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Jerome when he comes up with something even better, lighter, faster, more convenient features.

i will give lxpup 13.01 a try. thanks nightgab.

natgab

#654 Post by natgab »

Yes, LX 13.01 is non-PAE. I too suffer from the non-PAE blues. I understand the Full size distros going non-PAE, but I find it weird that many of the newest Puppies made are PAE only.

pchan wrote:
natgab wrote:Did you try LX 13.01, the current stable version? It is a little bit newer kernel and applications thant LX 12.12.

thanks for the recommendation. is lxpup 13.01 based on non pae? it is based on slacko 5.5 if i am not wrong.

although i have high opinion about lxpup 12.12, i am hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Jerome when he comes up with something even better, lighter, faster, more convenient features.

i will give lxpup 13.01 a try. thanks nightgab.

lvds

#655 Post by lvds »

natgab wrote:Yes, LX 13.01 is non-PAE. I too suffer from the non-PAE blues. I understand the Full size distros going non-PAE, but I find it weird that many of the newest Puppies made are PAE only.
Hi, depending on the Linux distro, mosts presets when you compile kernel are for SMP and PAE. As many small distros are derivatives, pupplets or others, they acquire the same kernel that was used in main distro and inherits the same settings. Very very few people recompile kernel and reinstall new kernel, they just follow automatic upgrade for instance on Ubuntu, kernel upgrades are automagic and inherits the same settings as your running kernel (this can be easily changed, but again no-one cares) :-)

Best regards

AwesomesaurusRex

#656 Post by AwesomesaurusRex »

This looks really impressive! I see people talking about Cinnamon desktop earlier. Is this desktop no longer available?

Jejy69

#657 Post by Jejy69 »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... pup-13.04/

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today I have time, and I wanted to say hello! I took the opportunity to make some changes on lxpup. Back to basics with the basic kernel 3.2, which worked so well. I admit that this is late, but I caught up. The core is still without the PAE module. Some modifications, with an appearance like gnome. Several dependencies were added and updated. VLC 2.0.7 is available, I think about Natgab, I hope it will work seamlessly. Normally I tried it and it happens. Someone can confirm me please? I hope that this time will be okay. I submitted some pictures to illustrate my point. The DevX is also available.
I confess that I do my best to be present, solve problems faster, even though I am far from a satisfactory result.

Have a nice day !
Attachments
capture5381.jpg
(17.95 KiB) Downloaded 1201 times
capture29530.jpg
(7.72 KiB) Downloaded 1211 times

natgab

New Beta 6

#658 Post by natgab »

Hi Jerome!

Just saw your post in the morning and was happy to see a new version out . So far everything is working. Abiword / Gnumeric, Firefox, tested the GIMP SFS. I took a screenshot of VLC, tested with some Flash videos and MP4 I had.

Personally, I don't miss the dock the Beta 5 had installed. I have a dock on my Mac desktop and like having something different here in my laptop. I also moved the desktop switcher to the top bar and removed the bottom bar.

Seems to be as stable as Beta 2, great work ! :D

EDIT: I can't get Pidgin to work. Tried both version 2.10.6 and 2.10.7.

Jejy69

#659 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Natgab ! :D

Thanks for you report !
Pidgin is always reluctant... What is the result if you type "pidgin" in terminal please ?

We'll succeed ! :)

natgab

#660 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello Natgab ! :D

Thanks for you report !
Pidgin is always reluctant... What is the result if you type "pidgin" in terminal please ?

We'll succeed ! :)
--Terminal will launch Pidgin, but it will not let me enable my MSN account. I get the same if I use the Menu. If I try to enable, it un-enables.

I had installed but not tried Abiword and Gnumeric when I posted the message above. Gnumeric works, but Abiword give me this message in terminal. It needs a lib file:

Code: Select all

# abiword
abiword: error while loading shared libraries: libwv-1.2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory