Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 07:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Upup Raring 3.8.7 with non-PAE 3.8.7 kernel, created using
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 20 of 25 [371 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
Author Message
don570


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 3379
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Mon 06 May 2013, 18:02    Post subject:  

Quote:


1. Saving the session using the "save" icon on the desktop takes a very long time to save the session, indeed I shut down to make sure it has saved the changes, but when shutting down it says the session has been already saved.


The first time you quit and reboot you will get an opportunity to save
your data and settings.

After that the pupsave file is automatically updated on-the-fly.
So there is nothing to worry about and no need to keep clicking on
'Save' icon.

___________________________________________________________

Quote:

2. Trying to either do a frugal and full install failed




Frugal installs are quickly created by dragging 3 (or sometimes 4) files
into a newly created folder. I personally do my dragging from
the downloaded ISO which I have opened in the desktop.

The grub4dos program is a good way to update
your grub's 'menu.lst'

A full install must be made with Barry Kauler's installer program
which is available from Start Menu. You just need a partition
that is formatted previously to ext2 ext3 or ext4 format
and have the ISO available to be used by program.
_______________________________________________

For sound type 'retrovol' in terminal and try various settings.

Also try installing audacious audio player and audacity sound editor
and see if they play a file.

_________________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 4329
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Tue 07 May 2013, 00:06    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
(...)
About abiword. I wont use my time to improve it. I don't use it. For me it is Libre Office sfs. Period. I just use brilliant get libre office pet and update my version at infrequent intervals. I include abiword so that people don't have to ask how to get in to the build. But if someone wants to improve its abilities with packages and extra features...go ahead. I am willing to include them. (...)


Hi, pemasu.

Please find here -- http://limelinx.com/d6suy -- a link to the abiword-2.9.2 plugins. I repackaged them for RaringPup from the original for Ubuntu-13 (aka Raring Ringtail), which I found here
-- http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-13.04/ubuntu-universe-i386/abiword_2.9.2+svn20120603-8_i386.deb/download/ --.

I understand that abiword is somewhat of a stopgap if one relies on LibreOffice for writing and other professional work. I am myself a regular user of OpenOffice.

However, abiword can still be useful for quick work, and the light user or occasional writer might as well have a fuller abiword package to enhance his/her overall experience.

It should be noted that these plugins greatly augment the importation and reading capacity of abiword, with only approx. 4.5 Mb overhead, instead of the hundreds of Mb required to do much of the same with the OpenOffice | LibreOffice packages.

Finally, people should bear in mind that these abiword-2.9.2 plugins were tested as working under RaringPup, but remain untested in other Puppies.

Best regards to you and to RaringPup users generally.

musher0

_________________
"Logical entities must not be multiplied needlessly." / "Il ne faut pas multiplier les êtres logiques inutilement." (Ockham)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
pemasu


Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 5465
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Tue 07 May 2013, 00:56    Post subject:  

Thank you musher0. Will include your provided abiword plugins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rasul

Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Location: Tehran, Iran

PostPosted: Tue 07 May 2013, 10:51    Post subject:  

[quote="don570"]
Quote:

Quote:

1. Saving the session using the "save" icon on the desktop takes a very long time to save the session, indeed I shut down to make sure it has saved the changes, but when shutting down it says the session has been already saved.


The first time you quit and reboot you will get an opportunity to save
your data and settings.

After that the pupsave file is automatically updated on-the-fly.
So there is nothing to worry about and no need to keep clicking on
'Save' icon.


Actually I know this, but I try to keep backup of my works and it very frequently happens that I change something and am afraid to loose it or break it again before my next reboot, and neither like to reboot at the time, so I prefer to use that "save" icon. After all, those who have designed that capability were thinking different than you Wink ! It was working on Raring 3.8.4.2 but then I upgraded my save-file to 3.8.7 and now it doesn't work. The yellow message that says the request to save the current session is queued doesn't disappear and notification that saving is under performance is not shown as well. However, as once I told you seemingly it really saves as once I rebooted and it said it has been already saved! Maybe a bug due to save file upgrade?

[quote="don570"]
Quote:

Quote:

2. Trying to either do a frugal and full install failed




Frugal installs are quickly created by dragging 3 (or sometimes 4) files
into a newly created folder. I personally do my dragging from
the downloaded ISO which I have opened in the desktop.

The grub4dos program is a good way to update
your grub's 'menu.lst'

A full install must be made with Barry Kauler's installer program
which is available from Start Menu. You just need a partition
that is formatted previously to ext2 ext3 or ext4 format
and have the ISO available to be used by program.


Yes, but I meant frugal/full installation through the Puppy Universal Installer. Both failed for me after upgrade to 3.8.7 and I had checked that in 3.8.4.2 only about frugal installation that it worked but somewhat buggy, if I'm not wrong.


[quote="don570"]
Quote:

For sound type 'retrovol' in terminal and try various settings.

Also try installing audacious audio player and audacity sound editor
and see if they play a file.


None worked but thanks for introducing to me the retrovol, my speaker's sound was low and I didn't know I can increase it that much! Oh, let me add that Raring plays every format of audio and video file that i have, cool, it only gives error for that single application with an embedding player (the application still plays sound with gnome-mplayer but some facilities of its own player is missing then) and my guest virtual distro also has no sound, this one is somewhat a nail in the shoes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
musher0


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 4329
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Tue 07 May 2013, 12:35    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Thank you musher0. Will include your provided abiword plugins.


It's nothing at all! My pleasure! Smile

_________________
"Logical entities must not be multiplied needlessly." / "Il ne faut pas multiplier les êtres logiques inutilement." (Ockham)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
linux28

Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 211

PostPosted: Tue 07 May 2013, 21:39    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Thank you musher0. Will include your provided abiword plugins.

3.9
pup-volume-monitor
Right-click
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67013

Can?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linux28

Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 211

PostPosted: Tue 07 May 2013, 21:41    Post subject:  

wait aufs 3.9 version
How much longer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7841
Location: qld

PostPosted: Wed 08 May 2013, 00:56    Post subject:  

Code:
Cloning into 'aufs3-9-git080513'...
Note: checking out 'origin/aufs3.9'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

  git checkout -b new_branch_name

HEAD is now at e160336... aufs3.9 20130506


..and 3.9.1 is released less than an hour ago...

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
linux28

Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 211

PostPosted: Wed 08 May 2013, 02:20    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Code:
Cloning into 'aufs3-9-git080513'...
Note: checking out 'origin/aufs3.9'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

  git checkout -b new_branch_name

HEAD is now at e160336... aufs3.9 20130506


..and 3.9.1 is released less than an hour ago...

Good!!
wait Upup Raring 3.9.1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
artsown

Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Wed 08 May 2013, 17:48    Post subject:  

For the record, a simple remaster worked perfectly. I deleted the seamonkey folder,
and installed Firefox 20. Installed Sylpheed 3.3 from the repo. Also have Pan and
Xfreecell installed (from Lucid pets). It also has gnome-mplayer 1.08. The remaster is
over 5 meg smaller than the original.

Art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4813
Location: GB

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 02:28    Post subject:  

Quote:
...a simple remaster worked perfectly. I deleted the seamonkey folder,
and installed Firefox 20. Installed Sylpheed 3.3 from the repo. Also have Pan and
Xfreecell installed (from Lucid pets). It also has gnome-mplayer 1.08. The remaster is
over 5 meg smaller than the original.

This is most illuminating.
Have you tried the same with Opera and Claws? Have you advised BK? Tried any other combinations? Midori may be worth watching to see if they make good on promised radical improvements. Maybe this can be done without bloat, but the runes are oblique.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
pemasu


Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 5465
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 04:54    Post subject:  

I spend now some time with Dpup Wheezy. I noticed 01micko post about kernel 3.9.1 and aufs3.9 existence. Too shame. My 3D printer didnt manage to clone me yet alive. Our street is though crowded by my plastic clones. But they dont know how to work with 2 Puppies at the same time.

But....there is new Barry`s Precise Puppy with non-PAE kernel available. It should give people some interest and need for feedback also....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5932
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 11:48    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:

But....there is new Barry`s Precise Puppy with non-PAE kernel available. It should give people some interest and need for feedback also....


Read here...
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00225

Seems solid so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
don570


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 3379
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 19:19    Post subject:  

linux28 wrote:

Right-click
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67013

Can?


If you're adventurous you can run this uninstall script the usual way.
(Remove fake .gz extension)

Code:
./uninstall.sh

This will remove most of pemasu's right clicks.

Install your favorite apps like gimp, libreoffice, FBReader, audacity

Then you can add my pet package if you wish.

_____________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tlchost

Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1735
Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 22:33    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:

But....there is new Barry`s Precise Puppy with non-PAE kernel available. It should give people some interest and need for feedback also....


Just tried it...and like everyone of Barry's Precise Distros, it fails to recognize my sound chip.....yes Raring does....so if you adopt it, please handle the audio as you have been.

thanks

Thom
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 20 of 25 [371 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1164s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0147s) ][ GZIP on ]