SlackBones x86_64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jamesbond

Re: booting and savefile problems

#81 Post by jamesbond »

scsijon wrote:EDIT:
Savefile problems
It seems to need to be in the bottom level of the partition, a reboot when it's at a higher level, such as a frugal build (eg /dev/sda7/slackbones64/sbsave.ext4) gives two problems one it's not found by name and secondly it's not found by location. I seem to have to have it as /dev/sda7/sb64save.ext4.
scsijon,
sb64 is Fatdog so you need to do a little bit of reading here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html. It is a bit different from typical puppies.
Ted Dog wrote:Would like to be able to label the sessions, verses the current date-time stamp naming method. And merge the two ways that multisession is done by BK and FatDog64.
With session labels (default to date-time) we can label key points or packages worked on, to aid in recovery.
Interesting idea, but how do you reconcile this with the fact that every multisession-save only saves a snapshot of what has changed (rather than the entire state)? I mean, when you say you want to load sesssion "x", for it to make sense you also need to load every session created before session "x" ...

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Q5sys

#82 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote:But I see multisession as a way to protect and extend puppy into a rolling release method. The strong negative with rolling release is returning to last good state, that is dead easy with multisession puppy, no complex source version control, no accidental overwrites or loss of key data.
Would like to be able to label the sessions, verses the current date-time stamp naming method. And merge the two ways that multisession is done by BK and FatDog64.
With session labels (default to date-time) we can label key points or packages worked on, to aid in recovery.
I realize that you and others are very into multisession on discs. However, It's not anything that fits in with my needs. Since its not something that I need, I've never spent much time looking into how it works. So its just not worth my time to spend trying to work it into this project.
But that's neither here nor there, the fact is Slackbones is meant to be a base platform for someone else to be able to take and use to build their own release. As such If someone wants to add multi-session, they are more than welcome to. Someone can also make a writeup on how to add it to the base iso for everyone elses benefit. There are tons of things "I" would have in slackbones if it was just for me... but thats not what this is for. Likewise, I'm not building this for anyone particular persons preferences. It's a blank slate so that each person can build what 'they' want.

The fact is all the benefits you talk about with a mutli-session, could be done the same with a regular save file... Just date changes in each folders.
It would just take a recode of the current setup to have the same 'benefits' that you claim multi session has.
I personally will not do that, because I'm not interested in it. But the beauty of OSS is that anyone can do that and share it with everyone else.

scsijon

#83 Post by scsijon »

thank you jamesbond, I shall peruse and work it out. It's also interesting that I am having problems with slackbones64 booting but fatdog64 has had no problems.

Q5sys,etc :roll: , /usr/include/X11/extensions/shapeconst.h is missing from the devx, it's needed with shape for building. I'm downloading fd64's V620 devx hoping it's in there.

regards to all
scsijon

Q5sys

#84 Post by Q5sys »

scsijon wrote:thank you jamesbond, I shall peruse and work it out. It's also interesting that I am having problems with slackbones64 booting but fatdog64 has had no problems.

Q5sys,etc :roll: , /usr/include/X11/extensions/shapeconst.h is missing from the devx, it's needed with shape for building. I'm downloading fd64's V620 devx hoping it's in there.

regards to all
scsijon
I think the booting issue is due to my remaster. Since it was happening, and then the fixed ISO didnt occur for the person who had trouble the first time, I think its an issue during the ISO burn.
I got back in from a trip ealier today and havent had much time to tinker at all.
Let me know about the devx .h file.
I do know the devx with slackbones is ALOT slimmer than with Fatdog, so that was probably due to something thats not included with the dev stuff for X. You'll see only a few X packages in there. Basically what was needed to build the GUI and thats it.

Here is whats in the devx for SB1.2

Code: Select all

### This file contains the list of slackware packages to use.
###
### Comments must start with # at the start of line
### Blank lines ignored

### Development environment
# libs
./l/glibc-2.15-x86_64-7.txz
./l/glibc-i18n-2.15-x86_64-7.txz
./d/kernel-headers-3.2.29-x86-1.txz

# compilers
./d/binutils-2.22.52.0.2-x86_64-2.txz
./d/gcc-4.7.1-x86_64-1.txz
./d/gcc-g++-4.7.1-x86_64-1.txz
./l/libmpc-0.8.2-x86_64-2.txz
./l/mpfr-3.1.0-x86_64-1.txz
./l/gmp-5.0.5-x86_64-1.txz
./d/bison-2.5.1-x86_64-1.txz
./d/flex-2.5.35-x86_64-1.txz

# build tools
./d/pkg-config-0.25-x86_64-1.txz
./d/autoconf-2.69-noarch-1.txz
./d/automake-1.11.5-noarch-1.txz
./d/ccache-3.1.8-x86_64-1.txz
./d/cmake-2.8.8-x86_64-2.txz
./d/doxygen-1.8.1.1-x86_64-1.txz
./d/gettext-tools-0.18.1.1-x86_64-3.txz
./d/intltool-0.50.2-x86_64-1.txz
./d/libtool-2.4.2-x86_64-1.txz
./d/m4-1.4.16-x86_64-1.txz
./d/make-3.82-x86_64-3.txz
./d/perl-5.16.1-x86_64-1.txz
./ap/linuxdoc-tools-0.9.67-x86_64-2.txz
./l/libxslt-1.1.26-x86_64-2.txz
./sbo/slackdesc-all-0.02-1spn.tgz
./a/patch-2.7-x86_64-2.txz

# x headers
./x/xproto-7.0.23-noarch-1.txz			# required to build openbox
./x/renderproto-0.11.1-noarch-1.txz		# required to build openbox
./x/xineramaproto-1.2.1-noarch-1.txz	# required to build openbox
./x/kbproto-1.0.6-noarch-1.txz			# required to build rox-filer
./x/libpthread-stubs-0.3-noarch-1.txz	# required to build rox-filer

# helpers
./sbo/sbopkg-0.36.0-noarch-1_cng.tgz
FYI, slapt-get is included so you can install packages from the official slackware repo, if you know you need them. If you dont know much about slapt-get you can read up on it Slapt-get FAQ.
You can run it from the command line or from within X.
You can also install the gslapt package and use the gui interface that's been made for it.

Ted Dog

#85 Post by Ted Dog »

Q5sys wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:But I see multisession as a way to protect and extend puppy into a rolling release method. The strong negative with rolling release is returning to last good state, that is dead easy with multisession puppy, no complex source version control, no accidental overwrites or loss of key data.
Would like to be able to label the sessions, verses the current date-time stamp naming method. And merge the two ways that multisession is done by BK and FatDog64.
I realize that you and others are very into multisession on discs. However, It's not anything that fits in with my needs. Since its not something that I need, I've never spent much time looking into how it works. So its just not worth my time to spend trying to work it into this project.
But that's neither here nor there, the fact is Slackbones is meant to be a base platform for someone else to be able to take and use to build their own release. As such If someone wants to add multi-session, they are more than welcome to. Someone can also make a writeup on how to add it to the base iso for everyone elses benefit. There are tons of things "I" would have in slackbones if it was just for me... but thats not what this is for. Likewise, I'm not building this for anyone particular persons preferences. It's a blank slate so that each person can build what 'they' want.

The fact is all the benefits you talk about with a mutli-session, could be done the same with a regular save file... Just date changes in each folders.
It would just take a recode of the current setup to have the same 'benefits' that you claim multi session has.
I personally will not do that, because I'm not interested in it. But the beauty of OSS is that anyone can do that and share it with everyone else.
I understand where you are coming from, and like that you offer a blank slate to build with. There is a concern that lot of the essence of puppylinux is being dropped, with slackbones, multisession has be a core with puppy since version 1.05. If this trend continues when does it stop being a puppylinux? There has been barebones before that contains core properties (but, no browser :o , only one editor, one calculator, no games, one set of icons, vesa X only etc) so It can be done and core retained.
This is not to minimize your work getting this out, if it was easy I could have done it :oops: getting Slackware, puppylinux, and 64bit together is an achievement.

jamesbond

#86 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:I understand where you are coming from, and like that you offer a blank slate to build with. There is a concern that lot of the essence of puppylinux is being dropped, with slackbones, multisession has be a core with puppy since version 1.05. If this trend continues when does it stop being a puppylinux? There has been barebones before that contains core properties (but, no browser :o , only one editor, one calculator, no games, one set of icons, vesa X only etc) so It can be done and core retained.
This is not to minimize your work getting this out, if it was easy I could have done it :oops: getting Slackware, puppylinux, and 64bit together is an achievement.
I think it is a valid concern. How "bare" can we go? :lol: We'd like to think that sb64 is as bare as it can be which is still easy for developers to add and install additional packages.

Initially we had plans to go only with CLI. And then we added Xorg. And then we added GTK so that lxpanel and rox can run. And then we added the firefox. Ok, that was too far, so we dropped firefox. We added the "essential" scripts that enable creation of savefile (and multisession). But you will find that there are other Fatdog scripts which aren't in - others may want to do it in their own way (e.g. drop lxpanel/rox and replace with pcman/spacefm/whatever, or drop GTK and replace that with Qt, or even more radical drop Xorg and replace with Wayland), in which case those Fatdog scripts (which depends on GTK and Xorg) would not make any sense at all.

I guess at the end of the day it depends on what you want to do with it. For some sb64 may be too bare, for others it may be too big already. That's why it is good to hear feedback like this, and also for those who really use sb64 as a base - see what important features are considered lacking, and what excessive features that needs to go away, so that we can tweak it for next release.

To answer the specific question: multisession-save is indeed included with sb64.

scsijon,
To add to what Q5sys has already said - you can also use "slackpkg" to install official slackware packages (both binaries and libs and headers), in addition to "slapt-get" (CLI) and "gslapt" (GUI). By the way, slackware doesn't really split packages between binaries and devx packages, when you get a package you've got everything: binaries, libs, and development headers.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

scsijon

JWM Version 750 for TESTING

#87 Post by scsijon »

I have created a 64bit JWM Package for Fatdog64 and Slackbones64 at Version 750 for people to test on my jwm thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 002#680002

Please read the note at the top if the first message (dated 7 may) for some important information.

There are quite a few changes and improvements between what your current one is and the new one, so it could be well worth scanning the few pages of the thread before installing.

Any reports relating to JWM and the build should go in the JWM thread with a title including '64bit' so I know which build I'm dealing with. Also Joe monitors and ocassionally answers in the thread,

Hopefully a X86_64 jwmconfig2 will appear soon to match your systems.

P.N. This was built on and initially tested on fatdog64 v620, I have yet to test it on slackbones64, so there may be other packages required to deal with dependancies, at the least it should start from a prompt as 'xwin jwm', any error message should give clues to what is missing. I shall be testing tomorrow AM, my time.

EDIT: Just found I can't install a pet on slackbones64. Have to work that out first, for some reason I expected that package in all puppy's.

regards
scsijon

Q5sys

Re: JWM Version 750 for TESTING

#88 Post by Q5sys »

scsijon wrote:I have created a 64bit JWM Package for Fatdog64 and Slackbones64 at Version 750 for people to test on my jwm thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 002#680002

Please read the note at the top if the first message (dated 7 may) for some important information.

There are quite a few changes and improvements between what your current one is and the new one, so it could be well worth scanning the few pages of the thread before installing.

Any reports relating to JWM and the build should go in the JWM thread with a title including '64bit' so I know which build I'm dealing with. Also Joe monitors and ocassionally answers in the thread,

Hopefully a X86_64 jwmconfig2 will appear soon to match your systems.

P.N. This was built on and initially tested on fatdog64 v620, I have yet to test it on slackbones64, so there may be other packages required to deal with dependancies, at the least it should start from a prompt as 'xwin jwm', any error message should give clues to what is missing. I shall be testing tomorrow AM, my time.

EDIT: Just found I can't install a pet on slackbones64. Have to work that out first, for some reason I expected that package in all puppy's.

regards
scsijon
Yes, PETS will not install natively. That was an intentional decision during the design process. The reason we did this was to prevent the possibility of someone taking some arbitrary PET they found and trying to install it. There are Pets from the 4.x series, that are still floating around and people are finding with google.
Obviously someone with knowledge can extract the files from the pet and manually install the files into the file system. But If you can do that... you probably can compile it from source easy enough or find a slackware package for that program.

Progress on v2.0 is coming along, still a bit away though. Got a few bugs to work out.

CatDude

#89 Post by CatDude »

Hi

I have started to have a play with: slackbones-v1.2-x86_64.iso
and i would like to build the graphics driver amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run
but i am having a really hard time doing so.

It fails with a message telling me that it could not find a version.h file, and that certain tools are missing,
but it does not mention what these tools are.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated. (or an actual package that i could install)

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Q5sys

#90 Post by Q5sys »

CatDude wrote:Hi

I have started to have a play with: slackbones-v1.2-x86_64.iso
and i would like to build the graphics driver amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run
but i am having a really hard time doing so.

It fails with a message telling me that it could not find a version.h file, and that certain tools are missing,
but it does not mention what these tools are.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated. (or an actual package that i could install)

CatDude
I dont have any ATI hardware so I cant build the drivers myself and test them. What you could do is install strace from the slackware repo and have that output to a file when you run the ATI run file. Then post that and I may be able to find out what's not being found.
I'd need to know what tools are missing to be able to provide them for you.

I dont know how current ATI installers work, but I thought it would save a file somewhere with a report of the installation or the failed installation. It's gotta record stuff somewhere. Otherwise there's no way to debug what errors you have.

pemasu

#91 Post by pemasu »

Catdude. version.h missing is known problem with ati compiling. You need to manually patch the kernel sources by symlinking version.h from its newer location to the older location.

something like this:
ln -s /lib/modules/3.8.5.0/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /lib/modules/3.8.5.0/build/include/linux/version.h

just change the kernel version and other needed location descriptions so that actual version.h is symlinked to where the ati compiler expects it to be ie /include/linux/version.h

It can be that ati needs other patches also which you need to manually include into it after manually extracting ati package. It depends on kernel version and used ati package version.

Q5sys

#92 Post by Q5sys »

Thanks for the info pemasu!

CatDude

#93 Post by CatDude »

Hi

@ pemasu
pemasu wrote:Catdude. version.h missing is known problem with ati compiling. You need to manually patch the kernel sources by symlinking version.h from its newer location to the older location.

something like this:
ln -s /lib/modules/3.8.5.0/build/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /lib/modules/3.8.5.0/build/include/linux/version.h

just change the kernel version and other needed location descriptions so that actual version.h is symlinked to where the ati compiler expects it to be ie /include/linux/version.h
Thanks, but i had already done that after reading this post of your's
pemasu wrote:It can be that ati needs other patches also which you need to manually include into it after manually extracting ati package. It depends on kernel version and used ati package version.
OK, I found these patches catalyst-patch-3.8-legacy.tar.gz which you posted here
and applied them all except for the arch-fglrx-3.8.patch (i assumed i did not require it)
After applying those, i was able to create a slackware package. :D

For future reference, could you please explain the correct method of applying those patches. :?:

@ Q5sys
Q5sys wrote:What you could do is install strace from the slackware repo and have that output to a file when you run the ATI run file.
Then post that and I may be able to find out what's not being found.
Thank you for the suggestion,
prior to applying the patches mentioned above, i did as you suggested and installed strace
but i didn't really know what to do with it, so i ran it like this:

strace -o /root/strace-ati-log.txt sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run
which resulted in 1000 plus lines of complete gobbledegook. :roll:

Was that command correct, or should i have used something different (could you provide an example)
also do you have any decent links that explain what the output means.

So, we can say that my initial problem is solved,
but.... how did simply applying some patches miraculously resolve those 'missing tools' :?:

Once again, thanks to you both
CatDude

P.S
Any progress on v2.0 :?:

[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

smokey01

#94 Post by smokey01 »

Q5sys is there any way to increase the personal storage file in slackbones?

Thanks

Q5sys

#95 Post by Q5sys »

CatDude wrote: @ Q5sys
Q5sys wrote:What you could do is install strace from the slackware repo and have that output to a file when you run the ATI run file.
Then post that and I may be able to find out what's not being found.
Thank you for the suggestion,
prior to applying the patches mentioned above, i did as you suggested and installed strace
but i didn't really know what to do with it, so i ran it like this:

strace -o /root/strace-ati-log.txt sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run
which resulted in 1000 plus lines of complete gobbledegook. :roll:

Was that command correct, or should i have used something different (could you provide an example)
also do you have any decent links that explain what the output means.

So, we can say that my initial problem is solved,
but.... how did simply applying some patches miraculously resolve those 'missing tools' :?:

Once again, thanks to you both
CatDude

P.S
Any progress on v2.0 :?:

You ran Strace properly, that 1000 lines of gobbledegook as you put it it should hold the answer. But I see you're problem is resolved from following the advice from the other thread. As to Strace Output and making sense from it, thats really well beyond the context of this thread, but a simple google search should give you some links which may explain what all you are seeing. Basically it logs and reports the status of all system calls that a program makes when trying to run or when its running. Also gives you a good idea of just how much is going on in the background when you dont see anything. lol.

As for how the patches fixed your 'missing tools', the problem most likely is that the installer was looking in the wrong place for the tools, so it was reporting them missing. IE, it was looking in say /usr/bin for something, and not finding it becuase it was in /usr/local/bin. I just made up that example, but if it couldnt find it in /usr/bin it may report it as missing because its not where it thinks it should be. Without looking at the patch I have no clue, but it may have been an issue like that.

V2 is taking a bit longer than I wanted, because I just havent had the time to work out the last few kinks and polish it up a bit.
And to be honest, due to the time its taken, some of the core slackware components have been updated, so I'm thinking of updating those as well. Just pulled down a local copy of the most recent slackware-current mirror to update some things.
I was previously going with the 3.9.4 kernel as shown previously, but Im thinking of maybe going with the 3.10 branch, if I can build it without issue.
smokey01 wrote:Q5sys is there any way to increase the personal storage file in slackbones?

Thanks
Hmm... That probably would be a good thing to include. lol.
I've never used the resize script that comes with Puppies... I just manually created the pupsaveresize.txt file in my /mnt/home directory and then put in the appropiate value. Its in MB. so for 256mb you'd just type "262144"
Then save it. Then on reboot it'll increase the save file that size.
That 'SHOULD' work for SB, since it uses the same save file system as FatDog.
I've never looked into how save files got expanded during a boot cycle. I'll see if JamesBond can shed more light on that.

smokey01

#96 Post by smokey01 »

I just manually created the pupsaveresize.txt file in my /mnt/home directory and then put in the appropiate value. Its in MB. so for 256mb you'd just type "262144" Then save it. Then on reboot it'll increase the save file that size.
I tried the above, it didn't work.

I also transported the Fatdog savefile tool to SB and it didn't appear to work either. The savefile does however appear to have increased in size but it is not recognised by the save file indicator in the task bar.

Cheers

jamesbond

#97 Post by jamesbond »

The recipe to increase savefile (asssuming unecnrypted ext2/3/4 savefile):

1. Boot without savefile.
2. Increase the savefile size, like this (say you want to increase by 256M).

head -c 256M /dev/zero >> /path/to/savefile
3. The increase the savefile's filesystem, like this:

e2fsck -y /path/to/savefile
resize2fs /path/to/savefile
e2fsck -y /path/to/savefile
e2fsck must be run twice, before and after resize2fs.

4. Done!

Change '256M' to '1G' or '2G' or '512M' or '141M' or whatever you want :) Make sure you use >> (two greater-than signs) and not > (one sign), if you accidentally use only one sign then goodbye savefile, hello frustration.

The Fatdog savefile tool should work but I haven't tested it myself, it could depend on some obscure tool Fatdog that isn't in SB.

noprob

SlackBones x86_64

#98 Post by noprob »

I have read this thread in hopes of downloading SlackBones x86_64 v2

Will v2 of SlackBones x86_64 v2 see the light of day?

to be downloaded for those of us interested?

Thx.

P.S. I may have a go at v1.2 SlackBones x86_64 v2 and thank you to those who have put the effort into this version Puppy Linux.

noprob

-eof

noprob

SlackBones x86_64

#99 Post by noprob »

duplicate post (deleted)

greengeek

#100 Post by greengeek »

Iguleder wrote:Got all these, built automatically under both a Slackware 14.0 (x86_64) and Ubuntu 12.04 (i686):

libsigc++
shed
vim
linux-source
advancecomp
bitlbee
elinks
tudu
dropbear
aspell6-en
terminus-font
unnethack
slock
screen
libav
abook
optipng
rxvt-unicode
snownews
gpm
fetchmail
msmtp
ncdu
fbset
surfraw
dash
aria2
bwm-ng
libtorrent
fbpdf
locale-gen
fbshot
mktemp
linux-headers
cmus
busybox
irssi
syslinux
squashfs-tools
lftp
fbv
linux
vifm
libbsd
licenses
cddetect
setvol
cgtkcalc
elspci
xload
aufs3-util
bcrypt
bbc_provided
ddcprobe
getcurpos
915resolution
dhcpcd
aqualung
maildrop
cwm
rtorrent
figlet
aspell
xdotool
htop
dtach
frost
roar-ng-ii
mplayer2
calcurse
dvtm
iana-etc
mutt
bash
I can cross-compile them to any other architecture. The list contains some Puppy-specific packages (e.g elspci) and I'm working on more build scripts for such packages.

I want to make the building of all packages under Packages-puppy-common-official automated, so we can port Puppy to x86_64 or any other architecture easily. It's an on-'n-off project I've been working on for months now.
Could you help me find a package that includes an xdootol prerequisite of libxdo.so.2 (64 bit version) please? thx!